Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 2, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #2,506 of 18,493
Can we please stop talking about the pricing of ferrites and cables?

Less noise, more impressions of the Mscaler.

If I'm not correct please correct me, but I don't think it is allowed on Head-Fi for

A)A manufacturer to discuss other companies products
B)Double Blind Test/Cable effectiveness discussions, apart from in the Sound Science forum

If you two want to continue, perhaps consider taking it to PM's. It is tiresome.

Nov 2, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #2,507 of 18,493
Bluejeans can make a competent cable using Canare connectors and Belden cable and make money for £15. Add a fiver for ferrites tops. £20. A bit for postage, £30 mebbe. Times 2 £60.

http://www.bluejeanscable.co.uk/store/digital-audio/index.htm

Difference between a Chord DAC and these wires is called Rob Watts. Every claim he makes he can back up with measurements and theoretical modelling. You really think a wire should be more expensive than a Mojo?

In fairness, Rob also uses his ears, which I suspect are the final arbiter. They certainly are for me. I think he also acknowledges that tastes differ. I think the development of any Hi-Fi component must be a combination of modelling, measurements and listening.

Nov 2, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #2,508 of 18,493
Bluejeans can make a competent cable using Canare connectors and Belden cable and make money for £15. Add a fiver for ferrites tops. £20. A bit for postage, £30 mebbe. Times 2 £60.

http://www.bluejeanscable.co.uk/store/digital-audio/index.htm

Difference between a Chord DAC and these wires is called Rob Watts. Every claim he makes he can back up with measurements and theoretical modelling. You really think a wire should be more expensive than a Mojo?
And there is nothing wrong with a low cost solution if that’s what your after some of us are trying to achieve maximum performance and don’t have the resources to invest in a testing lab so we use limited equipment and our ears

Nov 2, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #2,509 of 18,493
Could someone with a high end server like Zenith SE compare how the usb into mscaler sounds vs any other device with optical.

I’m looking at the new Innuos Zen Mini mk3 w/Linear power supply. It has optical out, but that is the only model with optical out.

The other option is the Zenith MK3 with USB, but it is more expensive.

I’m wondering if optical from the mini will sound the same or nearly as good as USB from Zenith/Statement.

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #2,511 of 18,493
The clip on ferrites don't work with the Hugo M scaler - and I have tried this a number of times. I suspect it's down to the gap that a clip-on has interfering with the built in filtering.

The sound quality is slightly brighter and flatter with the clip on type ferrites, which implies that RF noise levels is actually in totality worse; which is really weird. I expected them to make no difference, not actually sound slightly worse.
I've said this privately to a few people, but you (and others that have experienced this) are probably not using enough ferrites.

In two different situations: USB and power cable, I discovered that using some, but not enough, ferrites produced a partially negative change in sound quality. I did a lot of experiments about a year ago and it was not always a comprehensive improvement in sound quality when using ferrites.

One can theorise until the cows come home, but in the end, simply adding more of exactly the same ferrites produced a thoroughly improved sound quality, with absolutely no negatives.

This is part of the reason why I recommend 20 ferrites as a minimum. At some point I'll get a chance to experiment with HMS, but for the time being I treat any reports of a degradation due to the use of ferrites as being a glitch on the road, similar to results I've had. I've experienced a degradation twice and each time I've solved it by using more ferrites. It's bemusing to hear a new problem caused by adding ferrites, but the problem disappears when more ferrites are added.

In the end, ferrites are so absurdly cheap that it's always best to try lots and lots (20+), not just a few (5-10).

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #2,512 of 18,493
Have been thinking, with the distinct difficulty in buying relevant HD music, the M-Scaler is even more important.

Like I just checked 7-Digital, HDTracks UK, and Qobuz, and none of them have The Joshua Tree in HD. We can't blame the music stores though. (I think HiFi Choice did an article on it too, called The Great High Res Rip-off. Basically saying we should be able to buy high res music now that we have the storage space. The record companies have no excuse not to sell us the full-fat version of albums.)

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #2,513 of 18,493
I feel sad about this thread for the following

1. I don't mind hearing people saying ferrites work. I've followed the Blu 2 and DAVE thread long enough and know that ferrites works in the case of Blu2-DAVE combo. Whether it works with HMS-DAVE remains to see.

2. This is an impression thread so people say that ferrites work with HMS-DAVE or not work with HMS-DAVE are both perfectly acceptable.

3. Given that seller of a particular cable is willing to give an enough long time for the potential buyer for a free trial (probably with deposit), I see that a fair deal. I have no skin in any BNC cable and is just a user like most of the headfiers here.

4. There are lots of post here that stated close-minded opinions or illogical conclusions.

For example, some say that Rob is a good enough engineer so that he would be able to take care the RF business. SO THAT the RF business of the HMS should be handled completely. The conclusion "SO THAT ..." is flawed. Rob is one of the best engineer that I can think of in his field and he know the impact of RF long before the birth of the Blu2. However, Blu2 is susceptible to RF, a well known fact and hands down. If the SO THAT conclusion was true, then Blu2 should not be susceptible to RF. This shows why the conclusion was illogical.

Another example was something like the HMS was so expensive that if it's susceptible to RF, then it's a crap. Please look at the real situation, the stock cable was pretty good and people wants the best. To get the last 5% or 1% would be very expensive. Just look at the pricing of the Intel CPUs vs their clock speeds.

5. Listening is always subjective but if many trusted people honestly report the same thing many times, the experience become objective. Please check how Faraday discover the Faraday's law. Many thought that the theories were already complete and took the observation just random errors. There are many things that we don't know in audio science. So explore if possible is the way to go, waiting the "consensus" of the listening impression is another.

6. Be humble and curious so that we may learn more and falsify more. Rob always show this attitude.

7. The golden phrase that I've learnt from HeadFi "If it sounds good an measures good, great. If it sounds good and measures bad, you've measured the wrong thing" It still holds in most of the cases.

I came here to see if people find optical equal to or better than USB as the input for the HMS. The reason is then I may save money. YMMV

I would rather like to read more real impressions/experiences here.

My 2 cents.

Nov 3, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #2,517 of 18,493
We just need something positive and binding to discuss and if enjoying music is the goal then we have arrived there.

"All Ferrites are NOT Created Equally" :v:

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #2,518 of 18,493

1. I don't mind hearing people saying ferrites work. I've followed the Blu 2 and DAVE thread long enough and know that ferrites works in the case of Blu2-DAVE combo. Whether it works with HMS-DAVE remains to see.

2. This is an impression thread so people say that ferrites work with HMS-DAVE or not work with HMS-DAVE are both perfectly acceptable.

3. Given that seller of a particular cable is willing to give an enough long time for the potential buyer for a free trial (probably with deposit), I see that a fair deal. I have no skin in any BNC cable and is just a user like most of the headfiers here.

4. There are lots of post here that stated close-minded opinions or illogical conclusions.

For example, some say that Rob is a good enough engineer so that he would be able to take care the RF business. SO THAT the RF business of the HMS should be handled completely. The conclusion "SO THAT ..." is flawed. Rob is one of the best engineer that I can think of in his field and he know the impact of RF long before the birth of the Blu2. However, Blu2 is susceptible to RF, a well known fact and hands down. If the SO THAT conclusion was true, then Blu2 should not be susceptible to RF. This shows why the conclusion was illogical.

Another example was something like the HMS was so expensive that if it's susceptible to RF, then it's a crap. Please look at the real situation, the stock cable was pretty good and people wants the best. To get the last 5% or 1% would be very expensive. Just look at the pricing of the Intel CPUs vs their clock speeds.

5. Listening is always subjective but if many trusted people honestly report the same thing many times, the experience become objective. Please check how Faraday discover the Faraday's law. Many thought that the theories were already complete and took the observation just random errors. There are many things that we don't know in audio science. So explore if possible is the way to go, waiting the "consensus" of the listening impression is another.

6. Be humble and curious so that we may learn more and falsify more. Rob always show this attitude.

7. The golden phrase that I've learnt from HeadFi "If it sounds good an measures good, great. If it sounds good and measures bad, you've measured the wrong thing" It still holds in most of the cases.

I came here to see if people find optical equal to or better than USB as the input for the HMS. The reason is then I may save money. YMMV

My 2 cents.
I find optical from my pc / roon server sounds cleaner than my laptop as network renderer using usb on batteries into mscaler.

I need to do more long term listening tests tho.
It would be nice to have what mini would bring although I don’t need a CD player.

Nov 3, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #2,519 of 18,493

My 2 cents.
Here are my bloody two cents worth!
We’ve been letting this run but these above statements are the limit!
If there are any more unsubstantiated lies put about by those wishing to sell there cables and much more utter foolish nonsense spouted about the MScaler or Blu2 being susceptible to RF. We are shutting down this thread.
We spent over fifteen thousand pounds on equipment and a damn sight more on RF suseptability and emissions testing on these two products to have them lied about and denigrated by those with their own particular agendas. Please cease this forth with!

Nov 3, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #2,520 of 18,493
I find optical from my pc / roon server sounds cleaner than my laptop as network renderer using usb on batteries into mscaler.

I need to do more long term listening tests tho.
It would be nice to have what mini would bring although I don’t need a CD player.
I find optical (lifatec glass) sounds best from my ProJect CD box RS into Dave. I’m glad optical was added to HMS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back