Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 21, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #7,936 of 18,443
For objectivity I went the other direction ...when does the measured RF drop close to the ambient environmental RF level. Meaning that how far away from a HMS/digital chain does a galvanically isolated DAC (optical signal and battery power) have to be so that the RF levels measured are the same if it was DAC only . Around 5 meters. This was for my one stack under test.

Thank you very much for this info. This will influence my room component placement. Was the decline in RF levels linear, or follow some inverse square style drop off? That is, did most of the decline happen in the first meter, or something similiar?

Aug 21, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #7,937 of 18,443
you have some learning to do. There’s my thread, there is antipodes site, you have a network rooter? You have a computer. You have iPhones or iPads. They become remotes. You get antipodes plug the network into the server. USB plug the server into your dac. There is software on board, initialize roon, pull up myantipodes.com check out the apps and options.
Sorry to do this folks, I’d thought folks would do homework. But it seems this is a missing part in the chain to audio nirvana. I’m end game now, no tt2, no mscaler no boxes . But I’m interested in mscaler tech.....
dude i get it...

what I am saying is that i dont need any innuous bull to get max performance from antipodes? i can just run any PC based roon core over the net to antipodes?

also if they were roon core I would not need to do this.

Aug 21, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #7,938 of 18,443
dude i get it...

what I am saying is that i dont need any innuous bull**** to get max performance from antipodes? i can just run any PC based roon core over the net to antipodes?

also if they were roon core I would not need to do this.
Dude sorry didn’t realize what you are asking. Nope you need antipodes with all it’s tech and software to run roon core in it and stream your music. As my site progressed it’s way better than any computer running roon. But you got to test to find out

Aug 21, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #7,939 of 18,443
Yes I didn’t mean a balancing transformers per se, it was an analogy to one weak link in the chain that masks changes in other components. The elephant in the room here is your generic source computer which are known sources of lots of RFI. Change that to a low noise source and you might find the overall quality improves and allows you to hear other changes at the digital end, which in turn can now be improved by trial and error.
I'm open to anything, but the fact that Toslink and USB sound the same is an indication that RFI from the computer is low enough to not degrade the sound. Or low enough for my hearing sensitivity.

Aug 21, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #7,940 of 18,443
Thank you very much for this info. This will influence my room component placement. Was the decline in RF levels linear, or follow some inverse square style drop off? That is, did most of the decline happen in the first meter, or something similiar?

this is actually one aspect of Opto DX that I’m looking forward to exploring. With the fiber optic links, one can put the server and HMS 10m away with no issues.

that being said, the home environment is an RF mess (microwaves, electronics, WiFi, etc). Hygiene at the DAC still matters, but I’m hyper eager to hear all that not matter with all the upstream stuff hidden away.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #7,941 of 18,443
Dude sorry didn’t realize what you are asking. Nope you need antipodes with all it’s tech and software to run roon core in it and stream your music. As my site progressed it’s way better than any computer running roon. But you got to test to find out
antipodes $7K !

the BOM (how much this actually cost) is probably less than $300

im not sure how much "audiophiles" realize they are getting ripped off.

i mean seriously ripped off. yes we need a margin... people need to eat... but this space is probably the worst I have seen.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #7,942 of 18,443
antipodes $7K !

the BOM (how much this actually cost) is probably less than $300

im not sure how much "audiophiles" realize they are getting ripped off.

i mean seriously ripped off. yes we need a margin... people need to eat... but this space is probably the worst I have seen.
I’m sorry I was baited, I thought you were on the up and up, asking about my experience or had read up on DX and antipodes tech, I see none of the above is the correct response. My bad

Aug 21, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #7,943 of 18,443
I’m sorry I was baited, I thought you were on the up and up, asking about my experience or had read up on DX and antipodes tech, I see none of the above is the correct response. My bad
oh stop it.

it seems like a great solution... if the upside is there could I be suckered into dropping the $... possibly.

however I can still complain about the blatant gouging.

Aug 21, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #7,944 of 18,443
oh stop it.

it seems like a great solution... if the upside is there could I be suckered into dropping the $... possibly.

oh stop it.

ok so reading up on it now...

seems like I could get away with the CX.

here is where I am it in regard to audio. im will to drop the $$$ if I get punched in the face.

in other words I dont like to be tickled. i like a punch in the mouth.

going from mojo/poly/kann cube to MscalerTT2/LCD 4z is a punch in the face

a new headphone cable maby a push... i can hear the difference and my hearing is not that great.

but $7G better give me a punch in the mouth or at least a shove?

what are we looking at here? how much better than direct from PC into MSC???

Aug 21, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #7,945 of 18,443
ok so reading up on it now...

seems like I could get away with the CX.

here is where I am it in regard to audio. im will to drop the $$$ if I get punched in the face.

in other words I dont like to be tickled. i like a punch in the mouth.

going from mojo/poly/kann cube to MscalerTT2/LCD 4z is a punch in the face

a new headphone cable maby a push... i can hear the difference and my hearing is not that great.

but $7G better give me a punch in the mouth or at least a shove?

what are we looking at here? how much better than direct from PC into MSC???

Thats great news!

As I like punching folk in the mouth.

Lets right hook up ?

Aug 21, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #7,946 of 18,443
so let me get this straight.

IF I do not have my own music library I only need the CX (I only stream).

From my understanding the EX + CX usecase is only valuable when you have local files???

Aug 21, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #7,948 of 18,443
I have a DX thread, someone start a EX CX thread so we can properly discuss antipodes.

Aug 21, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #7,949 of 18,443
I know Paul Dillet. Nice guy. I used to train at Gold's Venice.

He was a big dude, seen him now ?

upload_2019-8-22_1-10-37.jpeg

Damn, that's a nice pot belly.

He'd probably still fk me up :)

Aug 21, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #7,950 of 18,443
Given the RFI noise topic, I thought I’d post my opinion. Stock, the HMS + TT2 was killer yet I felt like I wasn’t getting the meaty of the music like other had described. I also had this weird high pitch crumble in my treble.

I tried 20 or so ferreted on the stock and a cheap upgraded cable. It helped but that treble weirdness was still there.

@Triode User was fantastic in messaging with me about a trial version of his cables (stone) and the HMS/TT2 in general.

I really didn’t want to spend that much on cables so i just kept listening and hoping it would go away. It didn’t.

I decided that given the return period I should try some of @Triode User ’s cables, which I did. I bought the storms.

The quality of these cables is amazing. They are so thick and the connectors are fantastic. Once hooked up to my system the sound was amazing. The bass was deeper, the mods were more true, the treble was natural and there had been no interfering sound.

FWIW, I source via a USB into mscaler.

Can it get marginally better? Probably. However, I have no intent to even try that because the sound in its current state is so good.

I hope that helps anyone that is trying to figure out how to optimize their audio signal. I fully endorse wave BNC cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back