Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 21, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #7,952 of 18,495
Aug 22, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #7,953 of 18,495
hey bud... how does the 8050 and 7060 sound with the TT? did you get an mscaler?

if so sound impact with the genelec? since the genelec have their own onboard DACs wondering about issues here.

The Genelecs sound great. I prefer them to any of my headphones - the soundstage and imaging is particularly impressive

The 8050's don't have the Genelec room correction DSP in them and are driven from an XLR connection. I'm almost certain there is no DAC/ADC conversion going on in them.

Aug 22, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #7,955 of 18,495
Ive noticed reading on other DAC threads that RF/EMI is rarely brought up but has become the main focus on Chord DACs, is it just that people have found an excellent DAC and left wanting for nothing more but still have money to burn so trying find tweaks/add on devices to buy?

Out of curiosity i plugged in using USB tonight (from a powerful "noisy" desktop pc) and realised its actually not even half as bad as i was lead to believe.

Aug 22, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #7,956 of 18,495
It's a typical audiophile itch. There is never any end game. Even after getting the best dac they can't keep quiet and keep on tinkering with cables, accessories, streamers, power supply and anti vibration things etc etc. There may be improvements but most of the time these are subtle/tangential. Rfi/emi isolation is effective but it will be with any gadget not just chord dacs. constantly thinking about tweaks and tinkering imho may interfere with the goal that is to enjoy the music.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #7,957 of 18,495
Ive noticed reading on other DAC threads that RF/EMI is rarely brought up but has become the main focus on Chord DACs, is it just that people have found an excellent DAC and left wanting for nothing more but still have money to burn so trying find tweaks/add on devices to buy?

Out of curiosity i plugged in using USB tonight (from a powerful "noisy" desktop pc) and realised its actually not even half as bad as i was lead to believe.
The hyperbole is just as difficult to understand at times - some owners seem to add 12 tweaks to their system, and describe each as making a night and day impact. I could accept the statement that there were 12 detectable improvements, but 12 * the difference between the dark of night and the light of a summer day, is just excessive.

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #7,958 of 18,495
I honestly thought I was at the point of diminishing returns after I got mscaler. I was hearing things I never thought possible. What was left to do?

However, I’m finding there is a lot more.

For me, there seems to be some threshold of quality where all of a sudden a recording becomes vividly real, and I feel I am with the musicians and connect at a very deep emotional level with the music. Things to the left of that threshold are great recordings. Things to the right are performances that I am experiencing seemingly in person.

With Mojo I heard the barest hints of this and I bought a DAVE unheard. With DAVE I was there sometimes with some recordings, but it was enough to get mScaler unheard. MScaler blew me away in every way. I now knew that that magic was already recorded, and with the right system, could be revealed. It was a frickin time machine with some recordings, and even poor recordings sounded so much better.

as I’ve cleaned up RF and power and now mechanical, recording that were awesome but lacked that magic are now on the other side of that threshold and have become real. As I tweak up my system, the time machine is able to go back to more and more and more recording sessions and I am there.

What we’re almost unlistenable recordings before are now pretty good. What were pretty good recordings are now spectacular. The very best recordings keep getting better and better, but the driver for me is when more and more of my favorite recording suddenly become real and present, and I can connect with them like I never had before.

just had that experience again tonight, with some next level power and mechanical tweaks. What was going to be a quick listening session to spot check the new kit before some long listening sessions this weekend turned into 3+ hours of jumping from album to album and being amazed at how some recordings had been transformed. Euphoria.

does any of this take away from the immense joy I’ve had with these recordings over the past many years before my current system? Not in the least, I wouldn’t give up that joy for anything. That being said, to be able to experience these old friends in such a profound new way is truly a gift, and one I simply can not believe that we have available to us.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #7,959 of 18,495
Aug 23, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #7,960 of 18,495
The product description says it is intended to galvanically isolate dc currents between equipment.

Thanks. Yes, it does. But it also says it filters up to 3 or even 12 GHz, which can only concern AC (DC has exactly 0 Hz, correct?).

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #7,961 of 18,495

I agree. Moreover, many other DACs have much higher noise floors themselves, so RF/EMI entering these DACs is much less important. Chord DAVE sounds really good without further tweaks, but I want to get the absolute best out of it for me personally (for a reasonable price, more or less).

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #7,963 of 18,495
it says its bandwidth is up to 12GhZ, 3GHz or 1.5Ghz, depending on version, which is the opposite to a filter. If it filtered up to GHz it wouldn't let the signal through!

Thanks for your help, understood.

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #7,965 of 18,495
I honestly thought I was at the point of diminishing returns after I got mscaler. I was hearing things I never thought possible. What was left to do?

However, I’m finding there is a lot more.

For me, there seems to be some threshold of quality where all of a sudden a recording becomes vividly real, and I feel I am with the musicians and connect at a very deep emotional level with the music. Things to the left of that threshold are great recordings. Things to the right are performances that I am experiencing seemingly in person.

With Mojo I heard the barest hints of this and I bought a DAVE unheard. With DAVE I was there sometimes with some recordings, but it was enough to get mScaler unheard. MScaler blew me away in every way. I now knew that that magic was already recorded, and with the right system, could be revealed. It was a frickin time machine with some recordings, and even poor recordings sounded so much better.

as I’ve cleaned up RF and power and now mechanical, recording that were awesome but lacked that magic are now on the other side of that threshold and have become real. As I tweak up my system, the time machine is able to go back to more and more and more recording sessions and I am there.

What we’re almost unlistenable recordings before are now pretty good. What were pretty good recordings are now spectacular. The very best recordings keep getting better and better, but the driver for me is when more and more of my favorite recording suddenly become real and present, and I can connect with them like I never had before.

just had that experience again tonight, with some next level power and mechanical tweaks. What was going to be a quick listening session to spot check the new kit before some long listening sessions this weekend turned into 3+ hours of jumping from album to album and being amazed at how some recordings had been transformed. Euphoria.

does any of this take away from the immense joy I’ve had with these recordings over the past many years before my current system? Not in the least, I wouldn’t give up that joy for anything. That being said, to be able to experience these old friends in such a profound new way is truly a gift, and one I simply can not believe that we have available to us.

Ray, is this driving the Voxativ directly from Dave? Did you ever settle on a TOTL headphone?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back