Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 21, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #7,906 of 18,433
Kann Cube optical out into Mscaler + TT2 into LCD 24
Nice.... everything gets sampled up to 768 with the mscaler due to the opti at 96k... any issues with this? I cannot seem to detec diff between 705 from USB and 768 from opti when i switch back and forth

good portable setup.

10340110_thumb.jpeg
Invest in an Audioquest Diamond toslink for even better sound.

Aug 21, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #7,907 of 18,433
RF noise isolation requires optical signal connection and battery power connection. Then once you have done this and you still hear upstream differences, the only path left is free air. I took the bait and have done all the measurement to fully convince myself that DACs (well chord DACs in my testing) are sensitive to proximate RF noisy digital component. I was aghast, incredulous ...but please trust me it's true.
If you can put as much of your digital chain upstream of your DAC inside a RF isolation chamber then sound quality dependence on tweaks goes away completely.

What is the minimum distance to start noticing a reduced effect?

Aug 21, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #7,908 of 18,433
RF noise isolation requires optical signal connection and battery power connection. Then once you have done this and you still hear upstream differences, the only path left is free air. I took the bait and have done all the measurement to fully convince myself that DACs (well chord DACs in my testing) are sensitive to proximate RF noisy digital component. I was aghast, incredulous ...but please trust me it's true.
If you can put as much of your digital chain upstream of your DAC inside a RF isolation chamber then sound quality dependence on tweaks goes away completely.

I've been looking at Opto Dx for a while now, I'm thinking about buying one, but in all honesty Dan, and I'm not saying anything about the electronics behind opto, but it's an ugly cluttered solution from what I can tell from the photo's.

To me, there's too much things involved that only the likes of Ray would buy, as he loves adding as much schit to his system as possible, sorry Ray, I mean that in the nicest way possible, basically I'm saying that you love tinkering about with your addiction/hobby, thats all. As I saw your chain diagrams a while back and realised that you must really love adding schit to your chain, as it looked like the london underground tube map :wink:

Anyway Dan, back to Opto, any plans to clean it up and sell it as a one box solution with as little external clutter as possible ? As I'm interested, but I'm limited space wise, and 2, now 4 ( faraday cages ) boxes, 8 cables, 2 psu's or 2 batteries, I just don't have the room for all of that on my bedside table. But if it came in the same size of box as tt2 or hms, then I could stack it on the bottom underneath the mscaler since it won't get hot like the other two do.

Is there a version 2.0 on the horizon ? as I'd be interested if you can put it all into one box no larger than tt2 or mscaler, is something like that close to being debuted ?

Cheers

Aug 21, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #7,909 of 18,433
Kann Cube optical out into Mscaler + TT2 into LCD 24
Nice.... everything gets sampled up to 768 with the mscaler due to the opti at 96k... any issues with this? I cannot seem to detec diff between 705 from USB and 768 from opti when i switch back and forth

good portable setup.

10340110_thumb.jpeg

You won't detect a difference, as there is no measurable difference between them both, usb is galvanically shielded. Rob himself can't tell the difference. Personally I prefer USB, but thats because my nuc doesn't have opt out, even if it did I would still use usb.

How good do the 24's sound ? They heavy like the rest of the lcd lineup ?

Aug 21, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #7,911 of 18,433

How can this be realised in practice? How does this look like in your case?

Aug 21, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #7,912 of 18,433
why Don’t I have these issues? Do you have to own mscaler and Dave to realize these problems?

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #7,914 of 18,433
I guess i don't? but damn that's fine rf im hearing. perfect rich pin point thinness. maybe a little glare? Im serious why would chord threads suggest that chord makes products that don't work as intended?
Im suggesting that mine work fine, although i don't have scaler or dave.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #7,915 of 18,433
I presume rf will travel through non optical cables between source and dac, or even ambiently if the source is ‘noisy’ (I’m just repeating things I’ve heard, I have no idea scientifically).

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #7,916 of 18,433
I've been looking at Opto Dx for a while now, I'm thinking about buying one, but in all honesty Dan, and I'm not saying anything about the electronics behind opto, but it's an ugly cluttered solution from what I can tell from the photo's.

To me, there's too much things involved that only the likes of Ray would buy, as he loves adding as much schit to his system as possible, sorry Ray, I mean that in the nicest way possible, basically I'm saying that you love tinkering about with your addiction/hobby, thats all. As I saw your chain diagrams a while back and realised that you must really love adding schit to your chain, as it looked like the london underground tube map :wink:

Anyway Dan, back to Opto, any plans to clean it up and sell it as a one box solution with as little external clutter as possible ? As I'm interested, but I'm limited space wise, and 2, now 4 ( faraday cages ) boxes, 8 cables, 2 psu's or 2 batteries, I just don't have the room for all of that on my bedside table. But if it came in the same size of box as tt2 or hms, then I could stack it on the bottom underneath the mscaler since it won't get hot like the other two do.

Is there a version 2.0 on the horizon ? as I'd be interested if you can put it all into one box no larger than tt2 or mscaler, is something like that close to being debuted ?

Cheers
Amber,
My initial prototype was in one box with positive impressions by a few beta testers. A digital designer, intimate with the DACs I support, strongly suggested a two box approach to avoid the compromise of parasitic capacitances (RF induction between metal surfaces as in single chassis). Hence the final configuration.
A positive benefit is that the two box approach sounded better (less RF) and revealed that as you distanced the HMS from the DAC, you got more transparency. So ideal for a dedicated RF isolation for those who want objective best sound possible.

Aug 21, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #7,917 of 18,433
why Don’t I have these issues? Do you have to own mscaler and Dave to realize these problems?
Your source will play a large part in eliminating as much noise as possible before entering the DAC, it was awarded Stereophile A+ highest rating.

Aug 21, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #7,918 of 18,433
What is the minimum distance to start noticing a reduced effect?
For objectivity I went the other direction ...when does the measured RF drop close to the ambient environmental RF level. Meaning that how far away from a HMS/digital chain does a galvanically isolated DAC (optical signal and battery power) have to be so that the RF levels measured are the same if it was DAC only . Around 5 meters. This was for my one stack under test.

Aug 21, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #7,919 of 18,433
Your source will play a large part in eliminating as much noise as possible before entering the DAC, it was awarded Stereophile A+ highest rating.
didn't realize that but yes i suspect such coupled with my chord sarum T digital super array usb....so you're mscaler good with antipodes? no glare that everyone talks about.

Aug 21, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #7,920 of 18,433
didn't realize that but yes i suspect such coupled with my chord sarum T digital super array usb....so you're mscaler good with antipodes? no glare that everyone talks about.
It's what you pay the extra money for, all the hard work of getting rid of as much noise as possible is tried and tested during the development stages.
Get the server right then u get the best sounding USB no need for any additional components in the chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back