Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 13, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #7,426 of 18,495
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but a BNC Coax optical bridge was just announced that specifically states it supports Chord's DX! This could be next level with regard to taming RF interference between the M Scaler / Blu MkII and Chord DAC!

"Audiophiles have sought to minimize noise transmission using cleaner sources, ferrite laden coax cables or myriad other tweaks. These solutions are partial or, at best, only attenuate the problem to subjectively match the noise floor. For those with the most resolving systems and highest appreciation of musical transparency, the optical galvanic isolation of OPTO•DX is objectively superior."

https://audiobacon.net/2019/06/28/audiowise-inc-introduces-opto•dx-optical-isolation-bridge/
https://audiowise-canada.myshopify.com/

Headfi review with M Scaler and Blu: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/audiowise-opto•dx-optical-isolation-bridge-for-dual-spdif.23757/

opto-dx-bnc-optical-10.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #7,427 of 18,495
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but a BNC Coax optical bridge was just announced that specifically states it supports Chord's DX! This could be next level with regard to taming RF interference between the M Scaler / Blu MkII and Chord DAC!

"Audiophiles have sought to minimize noise transmission using cleaner sources, ferrite laden coax cables or myriad other tweaks. These solutions are partial or, at best, only attenuate the problem to subjectively match the noise floor. For those with the most resolving systems and highest appreciation of musical transparency, the optical galvanic isolation of OPTO•DX is objectively superior."

https://audiobacon.net/2019/06/28/audiowise-inc-introduces-opto•dx-optical-isolation-bridge/

Headfi review with M Scaler and Blu: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/audiowise-opto•dx-optical-isolation-bridge-for-dual-spdif.23757/

I guess I rather wait for Dave 2 which will hopefully have M Scaler built-in.

Jul 14, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #7,428 of 18,495

The problem with a device like this is you have to more than quadruple the number of cables. That just seems like a lot more points of possible failure and issues. I’m more into keeping the signal path as simple as possible.

Jul 14, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #7,429 of 18,495
I have not listened to this opto coupler device but if at all it uses the dual BNC input of tt2 or other chord dacs in the end , imho it's better to use a short length well insulated BNC coaxial cable directly. Additionally one can always apply one or two layers of after market copper tape easily available online over the coaxial cable to get extra insulation from emi rfi.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #7,430 of 18,495
I have the TT2. I have been thinking about getting some rubber feet for under the TT2's feet. I think those silicone rubber one you have are a good idea. (The TT2 feet would sink into the silicone a bit and might provide yet more stability.) I was thinking about making some ground clearance, purely to increase air flow. It would allow more heat to dissipate from under the TT2 rather than be reflected back at the TT2. I don't have a heat issue with the TT2, but it does get quite warm/hot on the bottom sometimes. It only happens on very hot days though, or after really long times left powered on, over hot days.

I have an air-conditioner for hot days and that takes care of this. Once the room is cooled, the TT2 stays well comfy temperature wise and only just warm. However sometimes I just don't bother with the air-con and let the room get toasty. Thus I think having some better space under the TT2 would help. I would put something under the feet though, not the bodywork.

I have the same setup in the video, and personally i don't think it is necessary.

But if you want to elevate the amp, this might be better off depending on what sort of surface/flooring you have.

Jul 14, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #7,431 of 18,495
The problem with a device like this is you have to more than quadruple the number of cables. That just seems like a lot more points of possible failure and issues. I’m more into keeping the signal path as simple as possible.
I have not listened to this opto coupler device but if at all it uses the dual BNC input of tt2 or other chord dacs in the end , imho it's better to use a short length well insulated BNC coaxial cable directly. Additionally one can always apply one or two layers of after market copper tape easily available online over the coaxial cable to get extra insulation from emi rfi.
In the case of the M Scaler–DAC connection we're dealing with a digital signal, thus a signal path as direct as possible isn't necessary for preserving the musical information. On the contrary: Since the M Scaler (also the one in the Blue 2) is known to produce massive RF interferences compromizing sound quality to some (maybe minor) degree, a noncompromizing galvanic isolation is the key to full elimination of the latter. An «optical bridge» provides exactly that.

And note that we're not talking of external RFI, so the classic shielding with copper and/or aluminum – to prevent the cable from picking up RF as an antenna – won't help at all, rather a bunch of select ferrite cores against RFI within the signal itself.

Jul 14, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #7,432 of 18,495
Since the M Scaler (also the one in the Blue 2) is known to produce massive RF interferences compromizing sound quality to some (maybe minor) degree, a noncompromizing galvanic isolation is the key to full elimination of the latter.

Blue 2 yes not so much with M Scaler.

Jul 14, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #7,433 of 18,495
My point that this opto bridge only plans to replace the length of coaxial cable in between the dual BNC at both ends. Dual BNC input/output are still in picture. So if you can tackle the 0.5m to 1m length of digital Coaxial cable in between lmho, you are good to go. Remember every conversion interface ( here two extra conversion from coaxial to optical and back ) adds it's own signature somehow. I can say that because I used ifi spdif coaxial to optical converter with inbuilt reclocker with fiio x3ii as source in anticipation that this converter will help in eliminating the EMI and RFI which did slightly improved the things but not as a dedicated transport like xduoo x10t. xduoo x10t was far far cleaner via optical out than ifi spdif + fiio x3ii. In all the above cases everything was bit perfect as could be judged from dsd encoded over FLAC test file. So Imho every treatment with digital stream adds it's own signature which obviously is way too subtle for finding in day to day use but it's there.

Jul 14, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #7,436 of 18,495
Noted.

Still exploring dac options.

Narrowed it down to Nagra HD, Msb Premier, and Dave/mscaler. Just trying to jutfiy if the extra 10k for the former 2 is worth it or if to just stay at Dave scaler combo.

Jul 14, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #7,437 of 18,495
No dac on the planet beats HMS+TT 2 combo at any cost. It is also best in form factor. Remember to compare the combo in speaker system ( not with headphones as imho headphones can never portray the accurate depth and soundstage except with binaural recordings ) with the likes of Nagra hd+, msb select or total dac. Even with HMS and Hugo 2 the realism of 'singers in your room' is unbelievable.

Jul 14, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #7,438 of 18,495
No dac on the planet beats HMS+TT 2 combo at any cost. It is also best in form factor. Remember to compare the combo in speaker system ( not with headphones as imho headphones can never portray the accurate depth and soundstage except with binaural recordings ) with the likes of Nagra hd+, msb select or total dac. Even with HMS and Hugo 2 the realism of 'singers in your room' is unbelievable.

You heard the nagra and msb dacs? Also I jsut watched a video from Drew at moon audio saying mscaled Dave is better than mscaled tt

Jul 14, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #7,439 of 18,495

How about HMS + Qutest compared to the HMS + TT2 combo?

Jul 14, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #7,440 of 18,495

Err, well apart from HMS + Dave which is some distance beyond HMS + TT2 (IMHO of course but it would be difficult to argue it the other way around).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back