Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 8, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #7,396 of 18,495
XP98 some say yes the source affects SQ some say as long as the digital audio say optical for example is bit perfect the source becomes irrelevant. I use optical RBCD from an imac running roon core into my mscaler with no problems at all. My imac has a 512gb ssd which does help alot so no moving parts. The fan is silent and rarely comes on as my CPU useage these days is very low. Listen yourself and see if you can hear any difference.

Unrelated query. For internet dab radio is there any advantage using radio streamed from net into mscaler with optical from computer vs a dab radio with optical out into mscaler?

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #7,397 of 18,495
Unrelated query. For internet dab radio is there any advantage using radio streamed from net into mscaler with optical from computer vs a dab radio with optical out into mscaler?

I listen to DAB radio through a dedicated DAB receiver for sheer convenience but it is a flawed technology and depending on your streaming rate of your internet radio station (there are many varied qualities of internet stations) I would expect internet streamed radio to have better sound quality.

Jul 9, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #7,399 of 18,495
Just a short post on my recent findings when I demoed a few servers (with the Dave Mscaler), but let me explain I have untrained ears, only been into hifi for a few years and do not do minute details… although I have listened to many high end systems and know what I like.

In short, I want it all, nice tight bass with texture, midrange and treble must be balanced, most importantly no harsh treble, natural simmer of cymbals and no fatigue.

For headphones I prefer the LCD4, I find Focal Utopia too bright (personal preference) …but hang on a moment… I want it all. I want that speed and detail of the Focal (without my perceived brightness or fatigue) added to the LCD4 but in my speaker system…!

I have the Chord Dave – Mscaler (wave BNC interconnects) Chord Music USB cable Bryston Amps with PMC MB2se Chord Sarum T loom. Torus power supply and a few other tweaks.

Melco N1z ver 1

Had for a few years and selling shortly, a mid-range server and I would say average and a big improvement when compared to a laptop or mid-range dap into Dave via USB.

Innous Mk3

Failed to be delivered but after a call to the dealer with my conclusion below it was decided an Innuos statement is demoed instead.

Aurender N10

I found this laid back and softer, better layered detail and more space between musical instruments than the Melco N1z, in short better, but not what I was looking for.

I spent a few hours and enjoyed the SQ and moved on….

Melco N10

Wow … this thing has everything I was blown away, very clean sound, very detailed and precise, perfect bass midrange and treble, very forward and engaging. I spent a few hours and moved on.

Antipodes CX with EX

Speechless. I cannot describe how good this is and no fatigue, detail, wide sound stage, very clean dark sound, the space between the musical instruments and placement, it has it all. I was browsing my music collection and stumbled on some Piano music (which I must admit is not my preferred choice) it sounded like a Piano…this CX EX has me hypnotised, I had an emotional moment. I was spellbound for the next few hours. This is my preferred server well worth trying. IMHO a must.

I have not yet compared the CX or EX as standalone units I will do this as soon as I can.

Conclusion

Please do try this CX EX combo and the Melco N10 if you are considering a new server, if not do not try as you may end up making a purchase.

I would go to say for me Antipodes CX + EX it was a bigger upgrade than the Mscaler mind you more expensive ….!

Jul 9, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #7,400 of 18,495
Just a short post on my recent findings when I demoed a few servers (with the Dave Mscaler), but let me explain I have untrained ears, only been into hifi for a few years and do not do minute details… although I have listened to many high end systems and know what I like.

In short, I want it all, nice tight bass with texture, midrange and treble must be balanced, most importantly no harsh treble, natural simmer of cymbals and no fatigue.

For headphones I prefer the LCD4, I find Focal Utopia too bright (personal preference) …but hang on a moment… I want it all. I want that speed and detail of the Focal (without my perceived brightness or fatigue) added to the LCD4 but in my speaker system…!

I have the Chord Dave – Mscaler (wave BNC interconnects) Chord Music USB cable Bryston Amps with PMC MB2se Chord Sarum T loom. Torus power supply and a few other tweaks.

Melco N1z ver 1

Had for a few years and selling shortly, a mid-range server and I would say average and a big improvement when compared to a laptop or mid-range dap into Dave via USB.

Innous Mk3

Failed to be delivered but after a call to the dealer with my conclusion below it was decided an Innuos statement is demoed instead.

Aurender N10

I found this laid back and softer, better layered detail and more space between musical instruments than the Melco N1z, in short better, but not what I was looking for.

I spent a few hours and enjoyed the SQ and moved on….

Melco N10

Wow … this thing has everything I was blown away, very clean sound, very detailed and precise, perfect bass midrange and treble, very forward and engaging. I spent a few hours and moved on.

Antipodes CX with EX

Speechless. I cannot describe how good this is and no fatigue, detail, wide sound stage, very clean dark sound, the space between the musical instruments and placement, it has it all. I was browsing my music collection and stumbled on some Piano music (which I must admit is not my preferred choice) it sounded like a Piano…this CX EX has me hypnotised, I had an emotional moment. I was spellbound for the next few hours. This is my preferred server well worth trying. IMHO a must.

I have not yet compared the CX or EX as standalone units I will do this as soon as I can.

Conclusion

Please do try this CX EX combo and the Melco N10 if you are considering a new server, if not do not try as you may end up making a purchase.

I would go to say for me Antipodes CX + EX it was a bigger upgrade than the Mscaler mind you more expensive ….!

When the UK Dealer himself has purchsed the CX/EX combo for home that tells you how good they are.
He stocks most of the High end servers.

Jul 9, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #7,401 of 18,495
Interesting as i was expecting a real DAB radio to be better than internet streams.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #7,402 of 18,495
I just watched the film Green Book which won a number of oscars about Don Shirley's deep south tour. Not really jazz or classical a mix. If you love piano which is laid back but highly technical this is a nice listen. Don Shirley Trio in concert 1968/69. Esquire described him 'as probably the most gifted pianist in the business'. Backed up by cello and bass.

R-3288774-1559056168-3134.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #7,403 of 18,495
My set up is not too far from a window but my dilemma is the room gets too hot and i need to let air in so what does one do if it looks like it's going to rain? While reading headfi i have a live rain radar tracking map over my part of the world showing live rainfall. Now that's a true headfi'er.:cloud_snow::cloud_snow:

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #7,404 of 18,495
My set up is not too far from a window but my dilemma is the room gets too hot and i need to let air in so what does one do? While reading headfi i have a live rain radar tracking map over my part of the world showing live rainfall. Now that's a true headfi'er.:cloud_snow::cloud_snow:

Get these, M Scaler will have a bit more cooling with them

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #7,405 of 18,495
Nice tip. What are they called?

Jul 10, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #7,406 of 18,495
Nice tip. What are they called?

BTW the FPGA (what runs hot) on the M Scaler is on the bottom of the unit so it seems to me elevating it slightly is going to be nothing but beneficial.

Jul 10, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #7,407 of 18,495
Sorry i was listening to boys to men while watching your video so i didn't hear the name. I agree with you about heat dissipation but the whole 'structure' doesn't look very stable'?

Jul 10, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #7,408 of 18,495
My set up is not too far from a window but my dilemma is the room gets too hot and i need to let air in so what does one do if it looks like it's going to rain? While reading headfi i have a live rain radar tracking map over my part of the world showing live rainfall. Now that's a true headfi'er.:cloud_snow::cloud_snow:

Are you worried about the rain coming through the window and blowing over to your Chord equipment? im not sure what you were trying to say from your post.

Jul 10, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #7,409 of 18,495
Exactly yes. My desk is already as far as possible from the window it's just the way my flat is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back