Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 15, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #661 of 18,528
But, I like DSD, and I think some people have perfectly reasonable views on why they've chosen to record in it.
Maybe if the people making recordings used one of Chord's DACs to replay a "PCM" recording, they might hear how a PCM recording is supposed to sound.

On the other hand, my understanding is that a lot of recordings are made, these days, with "multi-bit delta sigma" ADCs, so they aren't actually pure PCM. DXD recordings are made like this, for example.

Anyway the key thing here is that I suspect a lot of recording engineers formed their opinion on PCM back when PCM ADCs and DACs were poor.

The other side of the coin: a lot of engineers like the sound of distortion that analogue tape introduces. I wonder if some of the softness of DSD is what makes some engineers think it's the closest to analogue tape?

Tony Faulkner is one engineer who has been quite explicit that DSD is no good.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/project-k622-page-4

Anyway, I suspect a lot of engineers would change their mind about DSD being better than PCM if they used a Chord DAC.

Now playing: Jimi Hendrix - Rainy Day Dreamy Away

Aug 15, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #662 of 18,528
Maybe if the people making recordings used one of Chord's DACs to replay a "PCM" recording, they might hear how a PCM recording is supposed to sound.

On the other hand, my understanding is that a lot of recordings are made, these days, with "multi-bit delta sigma" ADCs, so they aren't actually pure PCM. DXD recordings are made like this, for example.

Anyway the key thing here is that I suspect a lot of recording engineers formed their opinion on PCM back when PCM ADCs and DACs were poor.

The other side of the coin: a lot of engineers like the sound of distortion that analogue tape introduces. I wonder if some of the softness of DSD is what makes some engineers think it's the closest to analogue tape?

Tony Faulkner is one engineer who has been quite explicit that DSD is no good.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/project-k622-page-4

Anyway, I suspect a lot of engineers would change their mind about DSD being better than PCM if they used a Chord DAC.

Now playing: Jimi Hendrix - Rainy Day Dreamy Away
It's possible a lot of people will change their minds when the RW ADC hits the studios.

Aug 16, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #666 of 18,528
Hey Rob I was wondering, how good would it sound if I did this.

Pc usb to mscaler to dave to mscaler to dave to mscaler to dave to mscaler to dave etc etc and then into mojo and a pair of venture electronics monk buds

Would it be able to drive electro static headphones that way ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 16, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #667 of 18,528
Rob,

In a setup with a Hugo M Scaler and a DX amp (with headphone output), is there any need or benefit to having a Dave? Thanks

RW will have to confirm but I think he has previously said that in that set up the Dave would just be a volume control and that the DX amp can take volume instructions from the HMS anyway making the Dave superfluous.

However, there is a benefit in the here and now in that Dave exists but the DX amp has yet to be launched and then after that it go into production.

Aug 16, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #668 of 18,528
RW will have to confirm but I think he has previously said that in that set up the Dave would just be a volume control and that the DX amp can take volume instructions from the HMS anyway making the Dave superfluous.

However, there is a benefit in the here and now in that Dave exists but the DX amp has yet to be launched and then after that it go into production.

Am I missing something, where is the DAC?

Aug 16, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #669 of 18,528
Am I missing something, where is the DAC?

In the DX amp. It takes the MScaler signal and does the dac part that would be performed by the Dave.

Aug 16, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #670 of 18,528
In the DX amp. It takes the MScaler signal and does the dac part that would be performed by the Dave.

Thanks, was thinking DX was a power amp, not a Pre/DAC/Power.

Aug 16, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #671 of 18,528
Aug 16, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #672 of 18,528
Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #673 of 18,528
That explains everything :wink:

DPPAA to those in the know!

:)

I’m very interested to read more about the DX amps with their digital input! Rob maintains that they are the solution to output power for speakers mixed with the transparency of his DACs with Pulse Array built in to the ‘amp’.

Some more info:

I am somewhat surprised by the confusion on the DX amps.
So if you want to connect to a conventional linear power amp, use Qutest.
For power levels of 1W/8 use Hugo 2.
2W, use Dave.
For greater powers, when we want to preserve transparency, then we need a DAC that has a more powerful OP stage - the DX amp that uses power pulse array. So these DAC's are pulse array, promising pulse array levels of distortion and noise, but 20W to many hundreds of Watts. The DX amp can be a dedicated power amp using a DX signal from Dave - so Dave becomes a digital only pre-amp, controlling the volume, and the DX amp is a power amp. Or they will be like Hugo 2 but with on board volume controls - equivalent to an integrated amp.

So the DX amps are just DAC's, exactly the same as existing pulse array DAC's - but with very high power OP stages, and a very clever power supply arrangement (don't ask!).
I hope that clarifies.

Aug 16, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #674 of 18,528
From what i understand the headphone out on the new integrated amp will bring no new benefits when compared to the current range of chord dacs and their headphone out capability. These speakers are designed with hundreds of watts of power in mind. Akin to a giant hugo 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back