Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 17, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #676 of 18,408
Rob,

In a setup with a Hugo M Scaler and a DX amp (with headphone output), is there any need or benefit to having a Dave? Thanks

Yes for headphones as Dave will be more transparent than the first DX amp via headphones.

Rob should named his DX amp to DX Dac or DX SDac.

Like most of the hi-end companies to catch huge attentions!

Power amp drives big speakers, no big deal!

But a dac drives big speakers, that must be something!

Yes naming it is a problem. Power DAC has been used before, and that's either Class D/hybrid/DAC plus power amp so not the same. Digital amps mean Class D...

Hence power pulse array DAC or DX amp...

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #677 of 18,408
Yes for headphones as Dave will be more transparent than the first DX amp via headphones.

Yes naming it is a problem. Power DAC has been used before, and that's either Class D/hybrid/DAC plus power amp so not the same. Digital amps mean Class D...

So TT2 is actually a DX amp already but not as powerful as the coming ones. Is there any other difference other than rated power?

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #678 of 18,408

Well, if you are taking a pole, which I know you're not, Power Pulse Array Dac or PPad. Just a thought. DX just brings me back to my ham radio days as a highschool kid.

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #680 of 18,408
:)

I’m very interested to read more about the DX amps with their digital input! Rob maintains that they are the solution to output power for speakers mixed with the transparency of his DACs with Pulse Array built in to the ‘amp’.

Some more info:

Perhaps this is for RW to answer but will the DX amp have a 20è Pulse Array of DAVE?

Aug 17, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #682 of 18,408
Yes it creates a lot of delay as its using 1.42 S of music (44.1) to do the interpolation, giving a 0.71 S of delay. The delay for 48k (video) is 0.65 seconds, hence the need for low latency (low delay) filter option.

Hi Rob, sorry if this has been answered already, I'm only on page 6. What is the delay for video with low latency enabled and what sacrifices are made for enabling that option?

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #685 of 18,408
@Rob Watts : Sorry, really confused now about DX amp in combination with DAVE and MSCALER. Are you saying that if we use the DX amp with headphones we lose the DAVE transparency? I thought the idea was to use the DX amp with the DAVE to give the DAVE more power whilst keeping the transparency. Otherwise, there is no advantage of DX amp with DAVE vs other conventional headphone amps. I must be missing something? I would like more power for my Abyss HP with a more powerful DAVE and thought the DX amp was the future solution but that does not appear to be the case?

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #686 of 18,408
@Rob Watts : Sorry, really confused now about DX amp in combination with DAVE and MSCALER. Are you saying that if we use the DX amp with headphones we lose the DAVE transparency? I thought the idea was to use the DX amp with the DAVE to give the DAVE more power whilst keeping the transparency. Otherwise, there is no advantage of DX amp with DAVE vs other conventional headphone amps. I must be missing something? I would like more power for my Abyss HP with a more powerful DAVE and thought the DX amp was the future solution but that does not appear to be the case?
Use the DAVE for headphones and the DX for speakers.

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #687 of 18,408
Use the DAVE for headphones and the DX for speakers.

If that's the answer, then the DX amp is of no use to Dave owners with a headphones setup. I want the added power for HP's

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #688 of 18,408
If that's the answer, then the DX amp is of no use to Dave owners with a headphones setup. I want the added power for HP's
It sounds like the DX amp offers full transparency from its speaker outputs, hence that would be the recommended way to drive your Abyss. I just wonder why it has a headphone output that is less than optimal.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #689 of 18,408

Which headphones?

Aug 17, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #690 of 18,408

Users who are viewing this thread

Back