Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 20, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #3,316 of 18,495
Please, another universe? Chord Pom poms are fine and why not. But seriously these night and day opinions about other companies or chord upgrades is partly causing sound science and others to question its validity. No issue with m scaler as it’s a new category for chord, and it’s merits are going to be debated rightly. Let’s just stick to impressions, you don’t need a graph or double blind testing, but keep it real.

Nov 20, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #3,317 of 18,495
I didnt say no difference, musickid if you had to go back to your yulong now with oppos would you still bother listening to music now you've experienced chord?

To the discerning listener / audio enthusiast, there are indeed significant differences in SQ between audio hardware. Measuring the worth of hardware by pulling it down to simply asking "would you still bother listening to music?" is not right. Audio enthusiasts:

1. When listening to music, their minds are not focused on anything else but to the music; they are really listening

2. Values audio quality and music enough to pay the cost differences between devices that bring about better sound quality

3. Sleep better at night knowing the objective / measured performance of their equipment is state of the art

You could tell me "hey, would you still bother watching the NBA or a movie on a good quality 1080p, 50Hz, 24bit colour PLS monitor after experiencing it on a 4K, 240Hz 30-bit deep-colour OLED screen?"... Of course I would! The basic information is still presented to me and I'm fine with it.

I'm an audio enthusiast, and the difference between my old Schiit Gungnir MB / Jotunheim stack and TT2/HMS via the Focal Utopia through A/B'ing and careful listening, was like the example I gave above; sure, I would still stick to the Gumby/Jot...but the thing is, I value audio enough to pay for the improvement in SQ and measured performance (measured performance improvement is vast by the way).

And by the way, if Sound Science or whatever forums or people would like to debate audio on a "science" or objective basis, lets stick to the measured performance of audio gear and not delve into the biological aspects of the human auditory system, brain and psychology of hearing because as far as I know Rob Watts is the only designer of audio equipment that has an actual education in the topic.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #3,318 of 18,495
Is there an optimal length for the dual BNC cable connection between HMS and DAVE?

I know you have asked Rob and he will hopefully respond as well.

Functionally (ie drop outs or not) I have not found any difference between various lengths of the same type of cable (I have tried 0.5m, 1m, 1.5m and 2m). However for smoothness of sound (ie darkness indicating optimised RF) I prefer 2m dual BNC lengths between HMS and Dave.

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #3,319 of 18,495
I know you have asked Rob and he will hopefully respond as well.

Functionally (ie drop outs or not) I have not found any difference between various lengths of the same type of cable (I have tried 0.5m, 1m, 1.5m and 2m). However for smoothness of sound (ie darkness indicating optimised RF) I prefer 2m dual BNC lengths between HMS and Dave.
50 ohms vs 75 ohms??

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #3,322 of 18,495
Look the drop outs are from source. If not then mscaler. I experienced it with my old gt ds on high upsampling rates like dsd 128 or pcm 756 periodicly, that and tics. The solution lower the upsampling dsp. Or get a better server like DX that cuts through upsampling rates like butter, no tics, no dropouts. I doubt it has anything to do with connections. Granted I did change my USB for additional confounding variable but seriously. Someone’s trying to pump connections on this thread.

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #3,323 of 18,495
Just my 2 cents. Before I bought the HMS for my Qutest, I audited the TT2+HMS combo at the shop. I would say the HMS has pronounced effect on both TT2 and Qutest. The most noticeable areas are transients, timing and imaging. The dynamics are also improved.

The M-Scaler is by no means inexpensive, especially for those who use Qutest as DAC (3 times the price), but now it's no going back for me after hearing how HMS improved Qutest and TT2.
Hi,
Have you had any Issues with the Supplied BNC Cables to connect M Scaler to Qutest do not want to spend on new if unnecessary?

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #3,324 of 18,495
Look the drop outs are from source. If not then mscaler. I experienced it with my old gt ds on high upsampling rates like dsd 128 or pcm 756 periodicly, that and tics. The solution lower the upsampling dsp. Or get a better server like DX that cuts through upsampling rates like butter, no tics, no dropouts. I doubt it has anything to do with connections. Granted I did change my USB for additional confounding variable but seriously. Someone’s trying to pump connections on this thread.

What is your experience with the MScaler that leads you to give that advice?

Rob Watts posted this answer to do with the subject of dropouts.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.885042/page-218#post-14606564

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #3,325 of 18,495
I’m sorry I don’t have any, but to blame bnc connections either in length or type or whatever other than min spec is bogus. I’d recommend looking where the problem is, in the dsp itself either source or mscaler. It is perplexing however my experience suggests just that. But go ahead it’s connections fault. Oh brother

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #3,326 of 18,495
This is not correct, Mojo's coaxial input listed as:
M-Scaler should do full 1mil there, if only somebody was willing to try :k701smile:

Yes, it is 768khz, but it’s does not do 1 million taps, it’s already been discussed and it does not support 1 million taps and runs at 384khz.

Yes, it’s crap, but nothing I/we can do about it.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #3,327 of 18,495
I’m sorry I don’t have any, but to blame bnc connections either in length or type or whatever other than min spec is bogus. I’d recommend looking where the problem is, in the dsp itself either source or mscaler. It is perplexing however my experience suggests just that. But go ahead it’s connections fault. Oh brother

Actually please just read what is written. Nowhere have I seen dropouts blamed on the connectors or cable lengths apart from suggesting that good quality ones are used (and that does not imply expensive). RW's post which I linked is good advice as usual.

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #3,328 of 18,495
110dB is a lot! Any prolonged listening above 85 dB may damage the listening ability permanently and the damage is exponentiaexponentially increasing with the loudness level. Take care.

Yeah no schiit it can, both mojo and hugo tazzed the schiit out of me at full volume with iem’s in when turning them on.

I have got so good at ripping iem’s out of my ears in milliseconds, that I now turn on mojo and hugo first before inserting iem’s into my ears.

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #3,329 of 18,495
I am hearing with an SBooster MKII Ultra 15-16V (the Ultra is reducing 16V to 15V) since saturday and after 70 hours burning in I really like what I hear. The SBooster began already to sound a lot better after 50 hours.

It is slyghtly more dynamic sounding but more relaxed at the same time compared to the stock powersupply. Other things that come to my mind for to describe what I hear: more holographic, more colourfull midths, slyghtly silkier treble, beautiful imaging and fantastic instrument seperation. That´s how many of us would describe what the HMS is doing. So maybe you can say that the SBooster makes the HMS 10-20% better in that it is already doing.

But for it´s more important that I for the first time really can get lost in the music listening with my Focal Utopia. Before I always heard fantastic music through the Utopia, but in every second I was aware of that I am hearing music through a headphone. So for to say it in another way: the Utopias sound less technical now - more musical. The Utopias have always been better in technical terms than my modded HE-1000, but often it was easier to get an emotional connection to the music just through the HE-1000. Now this is happening to me with both headphones.

One thing that didn´t change is that a bright record with bright higher midths still sounds bright with the SBooster, as bright as with the stock supply. That was different with the SBooster MK1 which I also tested. It had som kind of roll off. But the MKII is much better than the MK1 in all other regards, and maybe I will hear more changes after more burnin.

I have to commit that I have been burning in my new Belden BNC-cables at the same time - so maybe this can have some influence too.

Nov 20, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #3,330 of 18,495
Hi,
Have you had any Issues with the Supplied BNC Cables to connect M Scaler to Qutest do not want to spend on new if unnecessary?

I am using the supplied BNC cable, no problem at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back