Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 19, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #3,286 of 18,518
I’m using Qobuz now on iphone 6S+ with ios12 and it’s a wired apple cck lightening to usb connection kit straight into MScaler, and guess what ? Qobuz has no volume adjust option in the ios app, on both iphone and ipad.

I think you are using airplay to stream qobuz to your dac/mscaler. If so, Airplay still controls the volume via software.

I’m connected by iphone to my mscaler and hugo 2 right now, and when I push the volume buttons on my iphone and ipad, it has no effect on the volume at all. I have to use Hugo 2’s remote to change the volume, thats with a wired connection.

I can only assume that your problem was caused by using Airplay, which you really don’t want to do as airplay limits all music to 16 bit 44.1khz.

To get the best sound quality out of an iphone or ipad with the qobuz ios app, you will need to have a “wired” connection from your iphone/ipad to your dac/mscaler.

No airplay involved, I had been using the app on my Mac book pro where it is impossible to bypass volume control .

Looking at my Qobuz on my iPhone right now and just played some music via chrome cast - no wired connection - and ... you are right ! No volume control on the iPhone Qobuz app and it sounds just as good as hi res through Roon ! Can’t thank you enough
Will listen later and compare further :)

Nov 19, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #3,287 of 18,518
Does anyone have, or can point me to, listening impressions of the HMS hooked up to the original Hugo TT. I'm curious how much improvement is noticeable since you're only able to use one BNC connection. I also want to know if I should settle with that combo or save (forever...lol) for the TT2. Thanks!

Dan

Nov 19, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #3,289 of 18,518
Also @Amberlamps sorry for the confusion , everytime I mentioned iOS in the past I should have written MacOS,..

No worries, I havent used ios qobuz app much, I think this is my second time and when you said ios I just presumed iphone/ipad. I was also thinking maybe you had an updated qobuz version, as my version has been on my phone and ipad for ages, and my apps dont update automatically, they only do it when I can be bothered to go see whats new.

I spent ages looking for a volume option that wasn’t there :)

Ahwell, no probs, I hope you manage to get to the bottom of it.

I’m still waiting for qobuz support to reply to my email regarding slomo playback when using chord asio driver, I only messaged them last thursday, so its not looking good for a reply. :frowning2:

I forgot to add, if you use qobuz on your phone without a wired connection, your music will be limited to 16bit 44.1khz, so it maybe advisable to go into qobuz settings and set cellphone streaming to cd 44.1khz quality, otherwise you will waste bandwidth and may get charged by your phone provider if you go over your monthly allowed data limit.

Saying that, I have a Chord Mojo & Poly combo, and 44.1khz tracks can sound excellent at times, especially via polys sd card slot using gofigure’s quick play feature.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #3,290 of 18,518
Does anyone have, or can point me to, listening impressions of the HMS hooked up to the original Hugo TT. I'm curious how much improvement is noticeable since you're only able to use one BNC connection. I also want to know if I should settle with that combo or save (forever...lol) for the TT2. Thanks!

Dan
To me, driving speakers via a preamp/power amp with the TT providing remote volume control, it's definitely a big improvement but not completely life-changing. Note - I have only had my HMS for 10 days.
I am still not sure that the same money spent elsewhere would have been more useful though, even using only 500K taps in the HMS.

I would really NOT want to be without the HMS now, but I expect a very worthwhile step up when a TT 2 enables all of the HMS' taps to be used later this year and improves on the later stages of the TT also.
I really like the bigger sound stage with the HMS, there's more depth even using an against-wall loudspeaker design, there is definitely more detail, I think bass is cleaner also.

I stopped using the HMS' bypass setting after the first couple of days - once I had the idea of the HMS' improvements, why waste time listening on bypass?

I find even with the Cyrus streamer's Cadence software on a tablet making skipping about my CD collection far easier, I am now much more likely to listen to a whole album at once - that's a big change from just cherry-picking individual tracks and I think that's quite an important sign of increased enjoyment from the same music.

I'm using FLAC files ripped from my own CDs to a NAS with only a few hi-res download FLAC files as well.
I really like the sound of my TT but I hate the ergonomics (no numerical volume display, dodgy remote control etc.) and I want to use everything the HMS can do. The original Hugo - in my system - was uninvolving (so I didn't consider swapping my TT for a Hugo 2) : I got more fun out of the DAC64 I had for 15 years before the Hugo.

I had just a couple of dropouts in the previous (2-3 hour) session using one stock BNC cable but I had just unstacked the TT and HMS so I may have dislodged the cable in the sockets. No dropouts in an hour's listening tonight and no dropouts before that previous session.

HTH,
Hugh

Nov 19, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #3,291 of 18,518
No worries, I havent used ios qobuz app much, I think this is my second time and when you said ios I just presumed iphone/ipad. I was also thinking maybe you had an updated qobuz version, as my version has been on my phone and ipad for ages, and my apps dont update automatically, they only do it when I can be bothered to go see whats new.

I spent ages looking for a volume option that wasn’t there :)

Ahwell, no probs, I hope you manage to get to the bottom of it.

I’m still waiting for qobuz support to reply to my email regarding slomo playback when using chord asio driver, I only messaged them last thursday, so its not looking good for a reply. :frowning2:

I forgot to add, if you use qobuz on your phone without a wired connection, your music will be limited to 16bit 44.1khz, so it maybe advisable to go into qobuz settings and set cellphone streaming to cd 44.1khz quality, otherwise you will waste bandwidth and may get charged by your phone provider if you go over your monthly allowed data limit.

Saying that, I have a Chord Mojo & Poly combo, and 44.1khz tracks can sound excellent at times, especially via polys sd card slot.

Mojo/Poly is brilliant. If you could put HMS together it imho be very interesting, just sayin. Of course not possible.

Nov 19, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #3,292 of 18,518
I know the clue is in the name of the forum, but can none of you chaps offer any impressions of the TT2 driving high end speakers ? The paradigm shift that the TT2 "may" provide - resulting from ditching the amplifier - is where the real action is for me, as I don't enjoy using h/phones as a primary source. Is it not difficult to bust-a-move wearing them, or do you all listen to Diana Krall in hi-res ?

Not driving directly (have it going through emotiva 1000w monoblocks - not sure how i'd connect the tt2 directly to speakers come to think of it), and 'high-end' is subjective :), but I'm using TT2/Mscaler into paradigm studio 100 floorstanders around 50% of the time, and the hugos really open up the sound. Pinpoint accuracy and placement, the clarity just keeps blowing me away.

Listening to Lou Reed Vanishing Act, it's like he's there in the room with the piano, and when the strings roll in, get goosebumps every time. I've tried listening to pre-60s jazz (not really my cup of tea), but listening to Miles Davis If I Were A Bell (from Jazz at the Plaza), when the trumpet kicks in at the start, get the fright of my life, then the next time hearing the trumpet sounds like it's in a couple of rooms further back, or he's turned around away from the mic, and so the sound is echoing off the back of the stage or something? (be keen to understand what the actual stage setup looked like at that).

The funny thing is that I used to turn up the volume (on speakers and on headphones), thinking it sounded better....but I don't feel the need to do that through this combo. Even with HD800s, I'm generally listening at around -35 to -25db on low gain.

Nov 19, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #3,293 of 18,518
Mojo/Poly is brilliant. If you could put HMS together it imho be very interesting, just sayin. Of course not possible.

Maybe not poly, but Mojo does have a special purpose coax port. The mscaler can hook upto mojo and give it 1/2 million taps as it’s limited to 384khz.

Althought I’ve never done it myself, you’ve made me curious, what does 1/2 million taps sound like with iem’s :)

Nov 19, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #3,294 of 18,518
Own Focal Utopias and they are marvelous with the Dave. Listened to HE1000SE versus Abyss Phi at Audio Vision S.F. (about whom I can not say enough good things). The Abyss was auditioned through the SimAudio Moon Neo 430 HA headphone amplifier. The Abyss Phi, without the performance improvements present in the CC was far and away the best headphone I've had the pleasure to audition. The folks at Audio Vision were kind enough to run the signal through a Chord Dave and Blu2 into the HA. A soundstage greater than any I've heard and impressively accurate (compared to Stax 009, HE1000SE, HD800). Will still keep my Focal Utopias, but the Abyss Phi CC possibly with the HA is next.

Thanks for posting. I have the Utopia/Dave combo and am looking forward to getting my HMS and auditioning the Abyss Phi. Also, you got a chance to visit my local dealer who has been excellent.

Nov 19, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #3,295 of 18,518
Maybe not poly, but Mojo does have a special purpose coax port. The mscaler can hook upto mojo and give it 1/2 million taps as it’s limited to 384khz.

Althought I’ve never done it myself, you’ve made me curious, what does 1/2 million taps sound like with iem’s :)

This is not correct, Mojo's coaxial input listed as:
M-Scaler should do full 1mil there, if only somebody was willing to try :k701smile:

Nov 19, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #3,296 of 18,518

Dan

I forgot to mention that I almost entirely listen to music via my desktop PC via USB to a DAC+Amp & Headphones

Nov 19, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #3,297 of 18,518
This is not correct, Mojo's coaxial input listed as:
M-Scaler should do full 1mil there, if only somebody was willing to try :k701smile:

Mojo’s coax doesnt support dual data unlike the Hugo 2, hence its inability to accept dual BNC output from the HMS... single BNC from the HMS, which the mojo supports, is limited to 0.5m taps.

Nov 19, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #3,298 of 18,518
Poor little mojo. I look forward to hearing real world impressions of mojo one half millioned. Tap tap..

Can TT2 provide 2 watts per channel into a hifman he6se?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #3,299 of 18,518

Users who are viewing this thread

Back