Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 19, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #3,301 of 18,534
From SE Relic?

Not sure what the max Voltage is from the TT2 SE so it depends on how loud you listen. For 120dB peaks (painful) the HE6se needs 14.95V and 299mA and a total of 4470.05mW power. The TT2 is 7W SE, but that's a lot of Voltage needed for the HE6se to reach 120dB peaks. Of course, nobody should listen that loud.

A more reasonable metric for fairly loud listening would be 110dB peaks (fairly loud). Here the the HE6se requires 4.73V and 94.6 mA and a total of 447.46 mW power. No problem for the TT2.

Seriously, it's safe to say the TT2 will drive ANY headphone to loud volumes as one does not have to factor in distance like with speakers.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #3,302 of 18,534
cheers Relic. It might be on my future shopping list. I would initially use pm1 with tt2/hms.

Nov 19, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #3,303 of 18,534
Not sure what the max Voltage is from the TT2 SE so it depends on how loud you listen. For 120dB peaks (painful) the HE6se needs 14.95V and 299mA and a total of 4470.05mW power. The TT2 is 7W SE, but that's a lot of Voltage needed for the HE6se to reach 120dB peaks. Of course, nobody should listen that loud.

A more reasonable metric for fairly loud listening would be 110dB peaks (fairly loud). Here the the HE6se requires 4.73V and 94.6 mA and a total of 447.46 mW power. No problem for the TT2.

Seriously, it's safe to say the TT2 will drive ANY headphone to loud volumes as one does not have to factor in distance like with speakers.
110dB is a lot! Any prolonged listening above 85 dB may damage the listening ability permanently and the damage is exponentiaexponentially increasing with the loudness level. Take care.

Nov 19, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #3,304 of 18,534
110dB is a lot! Any prolonged listening above 85 dB may damage the listening ability permanently and the damage is exponentiaexponentially increasing with the loudness level. Take care.

Yes it is a lot! That's why I reference peaks and not RMS. Also, too many head-fi'ers listen too loudly, so I gave loud numbers to ensure they would be satisfied.

Nov 19, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #3,305 of 18,534
There's a disturbing trend of anti-chord rooms appearing. Objectivist boardroom or something and Rob Watts dac design talk. One linked to sound science. After some prolonged wrestling with them i got bored. They constantly criticise with nothing to back up their claims. Apparently anything done in the name of true hi-fidelity is a non starter for them.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #3,306 of 18,534
There's a disturbing trend of anti-chord rooms appearing. Objectivist boardroom or something and Rob Watts dac design talk. One linked to sound science. After some prolonged wrestling with them i got bored. They constantly criticise with nothing to back up their claims. Apparently anything done in the name of true hi-fidelity is a non starter for them.

You were simply asked to provide support for the claims you made as is expected in Sound Science. You’re free to choose not to, but please don’t misrepresent the interaction there.

Nov 19, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #3,307 of 18,534
I told them multiple times to go and audition a chord mojo which sells for 400 pounds. What more can one do then ask someone to listen for themselves? And you lot just criticise anything done in the name of hi fidelity and i repeat that again now because it is true..

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #3,308 of 18,534
I told them multiple times to go and audition a chord mojo which sells for 400 pounds. What more can one do then ask someone to listen for themselves. And you lot just criticise anything done in the name of hi fidelity and i repeat that again now because it is true..

I think the rules of engagement in the Sound Science forum are fairly well known. Claims are expected to be supported and being told to go for an audition isn’t how it works there.

I’m sure members posting in this thread wouldn’t appreciate if they were asked to support every post with objective data and would likely consider it trolling. It seems reasonable to expect members posting in Sound Science to respect the established posting model there as well.

Nov 19, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #3,309 of 18,534
There is no greater test than for an individual to listen to specific audio gear. I now have 2 members on sound science who have displayed interest in listening to mojo's.

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #3,310 of 18,534
I think the rules of engagement in the Sound Science forum are fairly well known. Claims are expected to be supported and being told to go for an audition isn’t how it works there.

I’m sure members posting in this thread wouldn’t appreciate if they were asked to support every post with objective data and would likely consider it trolling. It seems reasonable to expect members posting in Sound Science to respect the established posting model there as well.

The thing is though that they don’t even appear to be interested in another perfectly sound scientific method which is to agree that something sounds different/better and then try and find the science behind it. Their approach is to say it cannot sound different because the limit of science that they understand predicts that there is no audible difference. That makes it appear that they have closed minds and are not interested in looking for any new understanding of science. Out in the real world however the application and understanding of science is always moving forward by people observing something and then trying to understand it.

That is why it is legitimate to suggest they listen to a Chord DAC.

Nov 20, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #3,311 of 18,534

If you do a blind AB switch test (volume matched) of your H2-Mscaler and Fiio E10 you would be extremely disheartened. I actually recommend you not do it. We build up the differences in our mind to be massive especially when we spend a heck of a lot of money and when you step back and do this they really arent, It can really be disappointing.

One way i look at is if i take away all the "audiophile gear" and stick on some budget headphones but no longer enjoy listening to music then something is wrong. Your not listening to music at this point youre just listening to equipment.

Nov 20, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #3,312 of 18,534
HMS/H2 Vs e10. You can't be serious. I really didn't expect that from you.

Nov 20, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #3,313 of 18,534
I didnt say no difference, musickid if you had to go back to your yulong now with oppos would you still bother listening to music now you've experienced chord?

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #3,314 of 18,534
There are three basic issues:

1. The source is creating and causing the drop-outs - this happened with an iOS update, and removing the M scaler revealed that it was happening with Dave direct, so nothing to do with the M scaler.

2. Dave has a DDATA detector that requires sync on both data lines, which makes it sensitive and so Dave jumps out of DDATA mode and into single data mode, which forces a mute. All my other DACs post Dave rely on the DDATA mode flag, so they don't do this. The display flashes when this happens. Normally, using BNC 3 and 4 will fix this issue (using the supplied cables). Making sure the cables are attached securely is essential, and check the centre pin for dirt and being bent.

3. SPDIF going out of lock momentarily. This is normally due to poor RF quality cables, so this should never happen with the supplied cables.

If a problem occurs, and using the supplied cables, and its not down to the source, and swapping the BNC inputs doesn't help, then your Dave will need to go back to Chord for a service. Chord have had very few units needing this. Unfortunately the nature of the internet is such that only people having dropouts will report an issue; the vast majority just work fine.
Is there an optimal length for the dual BNC cable connection between HMS and DAVE?

Nov 20, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #3,315 of 18,534
Absolutely no comparison whatsoever. The chord musical experience is from another universe Vs yulong. Your argument is not fair as it commands only one reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back