Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 20, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #3,331 of 18,507
Is there an optimal length for the dual BNC cable connection between HMS and DAVE?

Triode user posted correctly; in terms of SQ, 2m is a bit better than 1m when using standard 75 ohm RF quality cables. I have no evidence that shorter cables are better for drop-outs than longer ones though - but that said I have had no direct experience ever of drop-outs with the production version of the Hugo M scaler anyway!

Nov 20, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #3,332 of 18,507
The thing is though that they don’t even appear to be interested in another perfectly sound scientific method which is to agree that something sounds different/better and then try and find the science behind it. Their approach is to say it cannot sound different because the limit of science that they understand predicts that there is no audible difference. That makes it appear that they have closed minds and are not interested in looking for any new understanding of science. Out in the real world however the application and understanding of science is always moving forward by people observing something and then trying to understand it.

That is why it is legitimate to suggest they listen to a Chord DAC.

If they want to claim all dacs sound the same, atleast listen to the dacs that you are speaking schiit about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #3,333 of 18,507
I know you have asked Rob and he will hopefully respond as which well.

Functionally (ie drop outs or not) I have not found any difference between various lengths of the same type of cable (I have tried 0.5m, 1m, 1.5m and 2m). However for smoothness of sound (ie darkness indicating optimised RF) I prefer 2m dual BNC lengths between HMS and Dave.

Which Canare cable at 2 m would you recommend?
Triode user posted correctly; in terms of SQ, 2m is a bit better than 1m when using standard 75 ohm RF quality cables. I have no evidence that shorter cables are better for drop-outs than longer ones though - but that said I have had no direct experience ever of drop-outs with the production version of the Hugo M scaler anyway!
How long are the supplied BNC cables?

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #3,334 of 18,507
How long are the supplied BNC cables?

1m.

Which Canare cable at 2 m would you recommend?

I have not compared different 2m cables, only different lengths of the same make of cable. In any case (and I know this will irritate some) the improvement by going from 1m to 2m cables was much more subtle than the improvement due to adding ferrites to a 1m cable so there was little interest for me in comparing different makes of 2m cables.

So I would say if you want to experiment try any 2m 75ohm Canare cable. They are all good quality. If you PM me I will say which Canare cable I was using but I don't want to pretend that it was in any way selected and it was instead just what I had to hand, The real point is that 2m was better than 1m of the same cable make.

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #3,336 of 18,507
1m.

I have not compared different 2m cables, only different lengths of the same make of cable. In any case (and I know this will irritate some) the improvement by going from 1m to 2m cables was much more subtle than the improvement due to adding ferrites to a 1m cable so there was little interest for me in comparing different makes of 2m cables.

So I would say if you want to experiment try any 2m 75ohm Canare cable. They are all good quality. If you PM me I will say which Canare cable I was using but I don't want to pretend that it was in any way selected and it was instead just what I had to hand, The real point is that 2m was better than 1m of the same cable make.

This was precisely my experience with BluDave eval I did a year ago (details below) the change going from 1M to 2M was clear, but it was very minor.

As always when dealing with noise, I’m completely confident others would hear what I heard on my system in my home, but I have zero confidence we’d hear the same in your system and home (HIGHLY system and environment dependent). All this is guidance for things to try in your own setup.

Nov 20, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #3,338 of 18,507

If a 2m cable sounds better than a 1m cable why was a 1m cable supplied with the M Scaler? And/or why were customers not told a 2m cable was better? An M Scaler and DAVE cost £12,000. This is a colossal amount of money. Hard earned for most folk. Me certainly. Why don’t people who have paid it get supplied with the best cabling, or at least get told what it is? We are spending colossal amounts of money on what we hope and trust is the absolute best performance, and now it turns out that we could have had better performance for a few pence worth of wire. That’s not right. What else is there that improves the sound of an M Scaler and DAVE that we haven’t been told about?

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #3,339 of 18,507
If a 2m cable sounds better than a 1m cable why was a 1m cable supplied with the M Scaler? And/or why were customers not told a 2m cable was better? An M Scaler and DAVE cost £13,000. This is a colossal amount of money. Hard earned for most folk. Me certainly. Why don’t people who have paid it get supplied with the best cabling, or at least get told what it is? We are spending colossal amounts of money on what we hope and trust is the absolute best performance, and now it turns out that we could have had better performance for a few pence worth of wire. That’s not right. What else is there that improves the sound of an M Scaler and DAVE that we haven’t been told about?

Is there anyone else that finds this attitude just a little bit tiresome?

What if someone finds that a different power supply sounds better (possibly unlikely but bear with me) compared to the supplied one? What if Rob is gracious enough to say he agrees? Will there be another tiresome outburst of indignation? (Rob, don’t get in any high horses about power supplies, it was just an example, possibly a bad one).

Is it seriously suggested that Chord and Rob knew that a longer pair of bnc cables might sound better but cynically supplied 1m cables instead of 2m cables? Really? Anyway, I bet there would be an equal number of people complaining that the 2m length is too long for their system layout.

And don’t forget we are talking here about free issue cables. How many other pieces of HiFi come with free interconnects or free digital cables? None that I have ever bought.

Anyway, this this not a big difference we are talking about between the different length cables. Not enough to get hot under the collar anyway.

Nov 20, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #3,340 of 18,507

What if someone finds that a different power supply sounds better (possibly unlikely but bear with me) compared to the supplied one? What if Rob is gracious enough to say he agrees? Will there be another tiresome outburst of indignation? (Rob, don’t get in any high horses about power supplies, it was just an example, possibly a bad one).

Is it seriously suggested that Chord and Rob knew that a longer pair of bnc cables might sound better but cynically supplied 1m cables instead of 2m cables? Really? Anyway, I bet there would be an equal number of people complaining that the 2m length is too long for their system layout.

And don’t forget we are talking here about free issue cables. How many other pieces of HiFi come with free interconnects or free digital cables? None that I have ever bought.

Anyway, this this not a big difference we are talking about between the different length cables. Not enough to get hot under the collar anyway.

+1

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #3,341 of 18,507
1m.

Is there a less expensive version of this cable or should I just get this one??
upload_2018-11-21_2-29-18.jpeg

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #3,342 of 18,507

The supplied cables are not “free”, they will have a cost, be in the BOM and be reflected in the price of the product.

It is not clear from Robs post at what point he knew that 2m cables sound better. You would like it to be your observation that caused him to investigate and come to this conclusion, but he may well have known this for some time. He recommended 2m cables for the Blu2 so he has been aware of the possibility for ages.

In either case, do you not think that now Chord should supply the better sounding cables? Or even both. What do you expect as a customer?

Nov 21, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #3,344 of 18,507
what;s the go with 2m sounding better than 1m, is that on the basis that the two units are separated that far apart so there's less interference between the two, or even if they are stacked one upon the other? we're getting into the realm that I'm thinking "you havin' a laugh" :D

Nov 21, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #3,345 of 18,507
The supplied cables are not “free”, they will have a cost, be in the BOM and be reflected in the price of the product.

It is not clear from Robs post at what point he knew that 2m cables sound better. You would like it to be your observation that caused him to investigate and come to this conclusion, but he may well have known this for some time. He recommended 2m cables for the Blu2 so he has been aware of the possibility for ages.

In either case, do you not think that now Chord should supply the better sounding cables? Or even both. What do you expect as a customer?

You are very demanding. Most high end equipment manufacturers never supply any cables with their products. Maybe only cheaply power cable to start with. I think Chord have done beyond their duties to supply any cables. I’m happy that they also include optical cable so that I can compare USB and optical input. Tweaking is part of fun of this hobby. Most of us like trying different things to improve the system. There is no cable sounding best in all systems. Be grateful rather than complaining all the times.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back