Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 2, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #226 of 18,448
I still don't understand why it can't be done in PC. There are someone in Computer Audiophile forum saying that 1M tap length only consumes 5% of CPU. What is your counter argument? The sinc like coefficients are not really a counter argument as the point is the processing of 1M tap lengths. It is about processing power to do multiplications.

I love my Blu2 but at the same time I also want to understand how to counter this guy in Computer Audiophile as he has repeated many times that processing of 1M tap lengths are easily done in PC.
Tell him that the type of filter that is implemented is extremely important.
He is free to code a dac using 15M taps, but if he is using a filter that introduces a lot of noise and errors, the result will probably sound worse than Mojo.

Aug 2, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #227 of 18,448
Tell him that the type of filter that is implemented is extremely important.
He is free to code a dac using 15M taps, but if he is using a filter that introduces a lot of noise and errors, the result will probably sound worse than Mojo.

You are missing the point. The point in discussion here is the processing power of PC vs FPGA. Why can't one implement Mscaler filter in PC? It is just multiplications. This guy always has bias against FPGA. But I am looking for a convincing argument against him.

Aug 2, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #228 of 18,448
You are missing the point. The point in discussion here is the processing power of PC vs FPGA. Why can't one implement Mscaler filter in PC? It is just multiplications. This guy always has bias against FPGA. But I am looking for a convincing argument against him.
Do you have the technological or mathematical chops to argue with this guy? I for one, don't. One way to withdraw from a pointless argument is "Oh well, it's not important anyway."

Aug 2, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #229 of 18,448
No I did not miss the point.
It does not matter how many calculations that you do in a PC, if those calculations are for the wrong type of filter, and introducing errors and noise.

Aug 2, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #230 of 18,448
Do you have the technological or mathematical chops to argue with this guy? I for one, don't. One way to withdraw from a pointless argument is "Oh well, it's not important anyway."

Well. I don't. But at the same time I don't hear very convincing argument from Rob either. I love Blu2 and found this CA guy upsampling software sound not very good. At the same time, I do not want to become a blind fanboy of Chord. I just want to understand more. Has Rob tried to implement in PC and failed?

Aug 2, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #233 of 18,448
Well. I don't. But at the same time I don't hear very convincing argument from Rob either. I love Blu2 and found this CA guy upsampling software sound not very good. At the same time, I do not want to become a blind fanboy of Chord. I just want to understand more. Has Rob tried to implement in PC and failed?
I'm a blind fanboy, I don't have the skills to understand some of what Rob says. But, I apppreciate what his technology does for music. Maybe this gad-fly should come over here and present his points.

Aug 2, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #235 of 18,448
I don't think the M Scaler is your standard up-sampling. It may not even be up-sampling at all. It's an up SCALER.

Aug 2, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #237 of 18,448
You haven't answered the question why one can't implement Mscaler filter in PC.
Do you know the mathematical expression for the WTA filter?
If no, then you, or the CA guy, cannot write the code for the algorithms to implement such a filter in a PC.
Without the WTA filters, there is no PC coded M Scaler.
Is that a simple enough explanation for you?

Aug 2, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #238 of 18,448
All of the information regarding the inner workings of the mscaler is available both on this site and online in technical and easy to understand English. Read, read, read and ye shall learn. Guessing what's going on will lead to failed assignments.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #240 of 18,448
100%

Users who are viewing this thread

Back