1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, Jul 25, 2018.
First

Back
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Next

Last
  1. AndrewOld
    So are you saying it would be better to copy rips from your pc's hard drive onto CD and then play them back on a Blu2 rather than play directly from your pc via USB into an M Scaler?

Whitigir and ZappaMan like this.
  2. Whazzzup
    With antipodes there are preferred signal paths that are indicated in roon. This seems to clear up what’s better, then there are the issues of whether one agrees.

3. RobinTim
    It blows my tiny mind how much audio expertise some people possess...

So if I understand correctly, the HMS should be the better option in comparison to the MScaler if one is not interested in CDs? Apart from the improved BNCs everything else is equal?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  4. UELong
    I love the birth of a new term.

5. UELong
    +1 on that.

6. UELong
    He did state that the BNC connection of the M Scaler was improved so you don't need ferrites. Otherwise, the same.

7. STR-1
    Potentially daft question coming in from left-field.

Can you daisy-chain two M scalers into a Chord DAVE (or Hugo TT2)?

Whitigir likes this.
  8. T Bone
    [​IMG]

Siz., Em2016, Deftone and 3 others like this.
  9. maxh22
    Just like a fine woman, you know within five seconds whether you like what you see. You know when you feel it. If you have to ask yourself whether something is attractive or not, its probably not.

UELong likes this.
  10. STR-1
    I like it @T Bone

Just a little mischief after a couple of glasses of wine while watching the Women’s British Open golf and a little cricket. Got to keep this thread ticking over until the M scaler is released.

11. miketlse
    The Hugo 2 is doing a good job with TMS today. :slight_smile:

12. greenmountain
    Rob,
    I am still wondering about DSP and M-scaler. I assume that DSP should be performed before upscaling. A lot of DAPs have equalizer function for HP and maybe the digital out would preserve that function. What would be the consequences sound wise (not the original waveform anymore)?
    But how one would do digital cross-over? DSP with 2 digital bandwith filtered outputs and then 2 HMS each with DAC/amp?

13. tekkster
    I want to hear the MScaler + Hugo2 combination badly.

apmusson likes this.
  14. GreenBow
    I am looking forward to the M Scaler reviews. It's exciting, and I hope it lives up to the hype.

However I keep trying to figure out what will actually be happening.

Will e.g. and M Scaler and Hugo 2, be like a 1,000,000 + 50K tap DAC?

I think rather the M Scaler will be like a 1M tap DAC without the to-analogue part. Then the Hugo 2 will be the normal 50,000 tap DAC, but receiving a 768K signal.

If it's the latter then in your face high-resolution music is not different to CD-quality music doubters.

I rather think it's something slightly different to either of the above though.

Really to me it seems like the M Scaler will be doing the heavy lifting. Taking e.g. a 44.1KHz signal, extrapolating using 1M taps, then taking samples at 7??KHz, Which get fed to the Hugo 2.

Or it's something else entirely and I just do not know. :jecklinsmile:

15. adyc
    I still don't understand why it can't be done in PC. There are someone in Computer Audiophile forum saying that 1M tap length only consumes 5% of CPU. What is your counter argument? The sinc like coefficients are not really a counter argument as the point is the processing of 1M tap lengths. It is about processing power to do multiplications.

I love my Blu2 but at the same time I also want to understand how to counter this guy in Computer Audiophile as he has repeated many times that processing of 1M tap lengths are easily done in PC.

AndrewOld likes this.
First

Back
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Next

Last