Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 13, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #15,196 of 18,491
if everything goes according to plan I will be getting my riviera aic 10 next week so the streamer/server is the next (and hopefully a last) thing to upgrade as I think I am not getting 100% of my Dave/m scaler. It would also be nice to have 1 box (integrated sdd) and as few cables as possible (no extra NAS or HDD outside of the streamers). As I am very pleased with what I am hearing from Dave/mscaler I would not like to get m scaler go as some other user (whatsthebestfoum) did as he got grimm mu1 for his Dave.
Well you'll want the Sean Jacobs power supply for your Dave after that...

Apr 13, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #15,197 of 18,491

->zen87192

my Auralic is an old Auralic Aries femto not the new one. It sounds very good nevertheless. At least if you do not compare it to something better/pricier.
Aha, I thought you meant the G1, like, the most recent G1. So yes, that probably can be improved upon!

Apr 13, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #15,198 of 18,491
I am not bitching about the cables that are praised, I even said Rob recommends them. I'm saying that the new MScaler should tackle this problem, or provide the cables needed to deal with the issue. Yes, the cable price is atrocious, as are most high end cable prices....that is what it is and those that want to pay that premium will. Doesn't invalidate my comments.
This is unrealistic for two reasons:
1) No manufacturer can account for all external issues (connections, power, placement, upstream and downstream equipment, the room - can you imagine speaker makers being held to this standard?
2) Whatever manufacturers do so to solve potential issues (like Rob with the power supply) people will go to crazy lengths to modify it in an attempt to improve it and swear up and down it’s better…until the next mod or tweak or new component.

So, everyone has to draw their own line toward audio nervosa with their own ears, budget and use cases. :beerchug:

Apr 13, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #15,199 of 18,491
This is unrealistic for two reasons:
1) No manufacturer can account for all external issues (connections, power, placement, upstream and downstream equipment, the room - can you imagine speaker makers being held to this standard?
2) Whatever manufacturers do so to solve potential issues (like Rob with the power supply) people will go to crazy lengths to modify it in an attempt to improve it and swear up and down it’s better…until the next mod or tweak or new component.

So, everyone has to draw their own line toward audio nervosa with their own ears, budget and use cases. :beerchug:
That's definitely true, there's no doubt that people will attempt to improve upon whatever is released, no matter how perfect. But, I sill hold that this specific issue is a problem recognized by many and will hopefully be dealt with by the new design.

Apr 13, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #15,200 of 18,491
Well you'll want the Sean Jacobs power supply for your Dave after that...
I am a TT2 user [not lucky enough 'yet' to have a DAVE], but I have heard Rob say, and I think that Chord even warns against the use of an external power supply. Is that all hogwash? And, does anyone know whether the TT2 can benefit from an aftermarket power supply?

Apr 13, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #15,201 of 18,491
I am a TT2 user [not lucky enough 'yet' to have a DAVE], but I have heard Rob say, and I think that Chord even warns against the use of an external power supply. Is that all hogwash? And, does anyone know whether the TT2 can benefit from an aftermarket power supply?
TT2 is a special case because the psu only charges the supercaps. You'll see if you pull out the power from the back, the TT2 will happily play on for several seconds until the supercaps discharge. I used a 12v DC out li-ion battery for mine, along with a toslink connection for complete isolation from the mains or my PC.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #15,202 of 18,491
It's hard to know whether it's hogwash.

Clearly Chord is going to advise against a PSU mod for at least two reasons:

1) It would invalidate the warranty. If your mod goes belly up and your DAVE gets fried they are under no obligation to fix it. Any reasonable manufacturer would warn you against that;

2) it would be quite an admission to concede that the PSU in such an expensive piece of kit as the DAVE is so (relatively) poor that it can be massively upgraded in this way. Even if it is true, and we don't really know this until we try, they are probably not going to admit it.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #15,203 of 18,491
The TTS does things a bit differently so I don't believe a power supply change will have a significant impact.

The Dave is quite different to the TT2 - don't audition the Dave unless you are ready to buy...😉 Personally, I thought the Dave on it's own was better than the M-Scaler/TT2 combo (which is excellent).

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #15,204 of 18,491
It's hard to know whether it's hogwash.

Clearly Chord is going to advise against a PSU mod for at least two reasons:

1) It would invalidate the warranty. If your mod goes belly up and your DAVE gets fried they are under no obligation to fix it. Any reasonable manufacturer would warn you against that;

2) it would be quite an admission to concede that the PSU in such an expensive piece of kit as the DAVE is so (relatively) poor that it can be massively upgraded in this way. Even if it is true, and we don't really know this until we try, they are probably not going to admit it.
Let's not forget the cost of the Sean Jacobs power supply - if the Dave came with a power supply for the quality then it would retail for double the price. 😉

No manufacturer is going to endorse opening their product up and doing mods.

Apr 14, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #15,205 of 18,491
Has there been any news in regards to the MScaler successor? In particular, whether or not it might have something like an I2S output for non-chord devices?

Honestly I'd instabuy one if it could do 768khz with non-chord stuff

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #15,206 of 18,491
Has there been any news in regards to the MScaler successor? In particular, whether or not it might have something like an I2S output for non-chord devices?

Honestly I'd instabuy one if it could do 768khz with non-chord stuff
Rob Watts is being pretty tight lipped about it. In the past he has been rather more forthcoming with pre production snippets but it has come back to bite him in the backside. I think the rule now is that we will find out everything when the product is launched but not before.

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #15,207 of 18,491
Rob Watts is being pretty tight lipped about it. In the past he has been rather more forthcoming with pre production snippets but it has come back to bite him in the backside. I think the rule now is that we will find out everything when the product is launched but not before.
Ah damn that's a shame.
Well. Here's hoping we get some news soon! :D

Apr 14, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #15,209 of 18,491
Apr 14, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #15,210 of 18,491
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back