Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 17, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #15,230 of 18,422
Yepp. I have read this. That is my dilemma . I want a very good server/streamer for my system and simultaneously use the m scaller as I think it makes the magic for me. To try/compare good server/streamer at home is not that easy/impossible. The other ones that I consider are antipodes K-line (K22, K30, K50), pink faun, DCS bridge, Aurender N20. Have anyone of you tried/compares really high end server with m scaller/Dave? Which one harmonize with mscaller/Dave particularly good?
LDMS or the new lampizator gulfstream seem to also be very high end but they are only be made on order and long waiting lines :frowning2:.

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #15,231 of 18,422
The Dutch reviewer Hans replaced his Mscaler with this unit and seems to like it better
I watched his review of the MU1 and know that he likes it but I wasn’t aware that he had adopted it in place of the Mscaler in his main review system.

I have been interested to try the MU1 but I can’t help but think that Roon will be holding back its sound quality. Every time I retry Roon on my K50 I go back to LMS/Squeeze pretty quickly, generally within 1/2 hour.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #15,232 of 18,422
Apr 17, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #15,233 of 18,422
I watched his review of the MU1 and know that he likes it but I wasn’t aware that he had adopted it in place of the Mscaler in his main review system.

I have been interested to try the MU1 but I can’t help but think that Roon will be holding back its sound quality. Every time I retry Roon on my K50 I go back to LMS/Squeeze pretty quickly, generally within 1/2 hour.
Is the sq as bad even if using roon as server and squeezelite as end point ?

Apr 17, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #15,234 of 18,422
Is the sq as bad even if using roon as server and squeezelite as end point ?
All in my opinion of course but for me the answer is yes, not as bad but still no where near the best sound quality when using Squeeze + Squeezelite

Apr 17, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #15,235 of 18,422
All in my opinion of course but for me the answer is yes, not as bad but still no where near the best sound quality when using Squeeze + Squeezelite
The roon radio is great tho lol, it’s worth taking a bit of a hit for.
Majority of my listening is at my desk, working. But I’m happy to increase faff levels for whenever I get those few hours a week in front on my speakers on my main rig.
I’m listening in my little triangle with the speakers near field, volume approx -10h.
Last night set my sound absorbing panels behind my listening position, though not in the classic early reflection position, I thought I was hearing more clearly, though by that time I’d had half a bottle lol.

Maybe I should move it all into my office ….

Apr 23, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #15,236 of 18,422
I recently picked up an Opto DX and it feels like the missing link in my system. I've really had some trouble integrating the m-scaler and my problem has been the noise and I think I had my system fairly dialed in, I am running everything off of separate batteries and I have PI2AES=>Optical=>Mscaler=>Optical=>TT2 but whenever I would connect the m-scaler with dual BNC I'd start to get harshness so I actually ended up preferring optical between the m scaler and my TT because it kept everything isolated and gave me enough of the m scaler that it seemed like the best way to go for the time being. I spent a lot of time thinking about the wave cables and I'll be honest they are pricy but at least you are getting something that provides specific technical benefits that the DAC designer recognizes the benefit of (I don't feel like most high end cables can say something like that) so I've never particularly minded the wave cables cost and the thought behind them makes sense. To me though I liked the idea of keeping everything isolated just because at every stage I've found sonic benefits from doing so and I'm already running batteries so the whole number of boxes thing doesn't bother me.

I'm really impressed of the sound out of the Opto DX and I think the most impressive thing is I wan't able to set things up until night and it wasn't ideal listening conditions because I had just unplugged, moved around equipment at the end of a long day so it wasn't a particularly relaxed state of mind but I started to listen to demo songs that I am familiar with and found I had listened to the whole album which is always a really great sign of just enjoying the music. It sounds cliche but I was hearing new details in demo songs that I've heard a lot so I felt it did clean up the noise but also it feels like I was really able to listen to the m scaler at full potential for the first time and it feels like it's taken a while to get there. I guess the way I'd describe it is the Opto DX removes the faint harshness and listening fatigue that I could get before running optical and that frees up the m-scaler to just bring great soundstage depth and separation through complex passages and I do feel like there is something to the whole pacing thing where the timing of things through intricate passages also seems really impressive and I don't know if this is because of the improved stage or if it is recreating the time domain better but I enjoyed whatever it was doing. Just ended up being a fun night where I listened to a lot of music and really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #15,237 of 18,422
@Karnicopia, congratulations sir. Isn’t it satisfying and fun when things finally come together in a sound system? I haven’t touched or thought about doing anything to my setup since I received my third WAVE Storm BNC cable from Nick Bacon months ago. For my rig it was the Audiowise SRC.DX that I’m using to bypass the USB input on my M Scaler that was the special sauce that really made everything sound so much better. Enjoy the music!

Apr 23, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #15,238 of 18,422
Thanks! Yeah I've had some upgrades that sounded amazing and some where I kind of sat there wondering what I just spent my money on but this was a really nice night and it was one where I'm trying to sit there and compare to what I was hearing before and I kept just kind of enjoying the music and relaxing into it which is always the best sign to me.

I was thinking of the SRC DX too but I figured I had to get this part of the system first and I think that gets to one of the second things I learned is it's so much about just trying to keep a clean signal from the source and that improves everything downstream so that is another big improvement was when I cleaned up my source and it honestly didn't cost me too much to do but it had a real positive impact on things. I will probably check out the SRC DX but I figured I would try this first and see how it went and I really it so far so I can see a SRC DX In my future too.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #15,239 of 18,422
I recently picked up an Opto DX and it feels like the missing link in my system. I've really had some trouble integrating the m-scaler and my problem has been the noise and I think I had my system fairly dialed in, I am running everything off of separate batteries and I have PI2AES=>Optical=>Mscaler=>Optical=>TT2 but whenever I would connect the m-scaler with dual BNC I'd start to get harshness so I actually ended up preferring optical between the m scaler and my TT because it kept everything isolated and gave me enough of the m scaler that it seemed like the best way to go for the time being. I spent a lot of time thinking about the wave cables and I'll be honest they are pricy but at least you are getting something that provides specific technical benefits that the DAC designer recognizes the benefit of (I don't feel like most high end cables can say something like that) so I've never particularly minded the wave cables cost and the thought behind them makes sense. To me though I liked the idea of keeping everything isolated just because at every stage I've found sonic benefits from doing so and I'm already running batteries so the whole number of boxes thing doesn't bother me.

I'm really impressed of the sound out of the Opto DX and I think the most impressive thing is I wan't able to set things up until night and it wasn't ideal listening conditions because I had just unplugged, moved around equipment at the end of a long day so it wasn't a particularly relaxed state of mind but I started to listen to demo songs that I am familiar with and found I had listened to the whole album which is always a really great sign of just enjoying the music. It sounds cliche but I was hearing new details in demo songs that I've heard a lot so I felt it did clean up the noise but also it feels like I was really able to listen to the m scaler at full potential for the first time and it feels like it's taken a while to get there. I guess the way I'd describe it is the Opto DX removes the faint harshness and listening fatigue that I could get before running optical and that frees up the m-scaler to just bring great soundstage depth and separation through complex passages and I do feel like there is something to the whole pacing thing where the timing of things through intricate passages also seems really impressive and I don't know if this is because of the improved stage or if it is recreating the time domain better but I enjoyed whatever it was doing. Just ended up being a fun night where I listened to a lot of music and really enjoyed it.

Are you listening to headphones or speakers with it? And were all inputs disconnected?

Avago-HFBR-1414TZ-image.jpg

I was thinking to create a dual optic link using 2 sets of these.. the circuit shouldnt be that difficult.
Then i found ofcourse it was already done..

Im just not willing to blind spend big € to find it wont improve anything..

Apr 23, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #15,240 of 18,422
Are you listening to headphones or speakers with it? And were all inputs disconnected?

Avago-HFBR-1414TZ-image.jpg

I was thinking to create a dual optic link using 2 sets of these.. the circuit shouldnt be that difficult.
Then i found ofcourse it was already done..

Im just not willing to blind spend big € to find it wont improve anything..
I remember a while back discussing with @Triode User the concept of adapting a cable such as this to create an interconnect similar in principle to opto-dx.
It would have been necessary to cut the 5V wire, to prevent it being an easy route for electrical noise, and to wire it to a battery to power the optical signal converter circuit.

Triode did mention that his enquiries had revealed that the optical converter chips can generate a lot of electrical noise, which would outweigh the benefits of using the optical cable in an audio circuit.
Based on that advice I put this concept on the back-burner.
Maybe very low noise optical converters do exist, but i have not searched for more information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back