Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 13, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #15,181 of 18,496
I find the price of wavehifi 2x bnc outrages too but...
I have bought m scaler for my Dave bout a month ago and found it with "normal" balled bnc cable not really an upgrade. The sound was less engaging and detail loss was there too. So I ordered a pair of bnc cables from forzaaudioworks and found the sound Dave + mscaler with those cables better then with bolden. The lost detail was there and also the sound was dynamic and yet not so edgy then (on some recordings) with Dave only. Then I saw bnc cables storm hifiwaves on audio markt for what I found a good price and I must say wow. The sound has now all you could expect from a modern digital source. I just can not stop hearing. The microdynamic, 3D space, and it is never digitall or annoying. If you can give these cables a try, you will be surprised how much difference do they take. The look very special (ugly), they are ver heavy and pricy but I would buy them once again as it elevates the m scaler to a higher level.
By every account, everyone who has tried them recommends them. If they'll be worth it for you or not depends on you and your wallet.

Apr 13, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #15,182 of 18,496
As I plan to add a new streamer/server to my system I want to ask m scaler user which input do you use with m scaler. At the moment I use it with Auralic Aries via usb. A strong candidate would be grimm mu1 but it has only aes output and by many other high end streamer AES/EBU output are the better one. Is there a sort of adapter aes/bnc? or do my new streamer have to have an usb interface?

Apr 13, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #15,183 of 18,496
By every account, everyone who has tried them recommends them. If they'll be worth it for you or not depends on you and your wallet.
And your ears and priorities. :wink:

If he's looking at a MU1 then I reckon his wallet can take it. :sweat_smile:

Apr 13, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #15,184 of 18,496
As I plan to add a new streamer/server to my system I want to ask m scaler user which input do you use with m scaler. At the moment I use it with Auralic Aries via usb. A strong candidate would be grimm mu1 but it has only aes output and by many other high end streamer AES/EBU output are the better one. Is there a sort of adapter aes/bnc? or do my new streamer have to have an usb interface?
I can't answer your question but I think there was some discussion a few pages back (or maybe in another thread?) quite recently about different inputs.

Have you tried using other outputs from your Aries?

Apr 13, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #15,187 of 18,496
Usb to SRC-DX and then 1 short coax to mscaler works for me. I use 2 coax but I sometimes play PGGB files and 2 are required for 16fs.

Apr 13, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #15,188 of 18,496
aries is definitely thy weakest part of my chain (and must go :wink:) and as far as I understand it there are not really other options how to connect it to m scaler but with usb?! Correct me if I am wrong
I seem to remember having it connected with coax and I'm certain optical is an option.

What issue are you looking to resolve by changing the streamer?

Apr 13, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #15,189 of 18,496
Usb to SRC-DX and then 1 short coax to mscaler works for me. I use 2 coax but I sometimes play PGGB files and 2 are required for 16fs.
This seems to be a popular option.

Apr 13, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #15,191 of 18,496
The Wave
aries is definitely thy weakest part of my chain (and must go :wink:) and as far as I understand it there are not really other options how to connect it to m scaler but with usb?! Correct me if I am wrong
Wow! I was just looking at the Auralic Aries G 2.1 thinking ‘that looks good‘ must audition….😱

Apr 13, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #15,192 of 18,496
I have not really experimented with other outputs of Aries as I don't have good optical / spdif /aes cables. Only totaldac usb cable but I suppose I will have to rent some good digital cables and compare the outputs
I think it's worth trying the different outputs before changing the streamer, unless you fancy trying something more exotic anyway.

Apr 13, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #15,193 of 18,496
if everything goes according to plan I will be getting my riviera aic 10 next week so the streamer/server is the next (and hopefully a last) thing to upgrade as I think I am not getting 100% of my Dave/m scaler. It would also be nice to have 1 box (integrated sdd) and as few cables as possible (no extra NAS or HDD outside of the streamers). As I am very pleased with what I am hearing from Dave/mscaler I would not like to get m scaler go as some other user (whatsthebestfoum) did as he got grimm mu1 for his Dave.

Apr 13, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #15,194 of 18,496
The Wave

Wow! I was just looking at the Auralic Aries G 2.1 thinking ‘that looks good‘ must audition….😱
It is and you must. :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back