Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Mar 25, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #3,481 of 3,643
Hi guys, does anybody here have experience with music production, monitoring, mixing?
I'm looking for a pair of BT headphones which can also be used with cable, closed back, and which are as near as possible to neutral and accurate like reference studio monitoring headphones.

The reason why I need them to be able to do both BT and cable is that they'll be my only way to enjoy music and to produce it.
For enjoyment for me BT is a must. Can't live with cables.
For production, cable means no/less latency and generally more accurate sound.

But generally headphones aimed to entertainment add some salt and pepper to the sound.
And that's a problem when producing.

Thank you!

Mar 25, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #3,482 of 3,643
Hi guys, does anybody here have experience with music production, monitoring, mixing?
I'm looking for a pair of BT headphones which can also be used with cable, closed back, and which are as near as possible to neutral and accurate like reference studio monitoring headphones.

The reason why I need them to be able to do both BT and cable is that they'll be my only way to enjoy music and to produce it.

But generally headphones aimed to entertainment add some salt and pepper to the sound.

Thank you!
I have owned a number of very nice Bluetooth headphones, currently I have the Sony XM3 and the KEF Space One Wireless. I am a pretty big fan of the KEF and I think it deserves a serious recommendation. The full retail price the KEF used to command made them very expensive, but I will say this, absolutely everything about this headphone is brilliant design and build. IMO. The sound I would not call neutral, but it is not that far off, at least when you talk about perceptibility. I think the KEF has a really nice voicing that I think would really work for somebody who wants to hear into a mix, needs very good accuracy, but who also wants a little degree of character. In the case of the KEF, it is what you would expect from a very renowned British speaker company who clearly took making good headphones quite seriously. I owned the KEF M500 a few years back and I have owned two sets of KEF speakers most recently the R300s.

Throw in the fact that the headphone is really a design and build masterpiece. When you hold it, you are struck by how wonderful and easy it is to hold, how solid but not heavy it feels. All of the tolerances are of the precision you get when the design was a collaboration with Porsche Design. Everything feels right and balanced, the comfort for me is fantastic.

Because it was so expensive, and was perceived as being already trailing edge with codec support for Apt X, and AAC it didn't sell that well and after a few years of I am sure too large inventories and not encouraging selling patterns the retail price was dropped substantially. Where the codec support is concerned, in my experience both are excellent codecs and completely transparent to the listener in all but the most extreme circumstances, almost not worth mentioning.

I think at one time the Space One would have been a little more than $600 Canadian domestically and the sale price on brand new factory sealed pair I bought from a retailer in Quebec was $223 total with tax and shipping. I cannot even begin to tell you what great prices are available out there on this headphone and I am all in saying well worth a spin. You will need a headphone that is very comfortable, very well built and engineered so that you can use it a lot and you need very high quality sound reproduction. IMO the KEF does all of these things and I cannot emphasis enough how extremely good the materials and build quality is. This is a top shelf engineered headphone. Now, keep in mind, I have likely average to maybe ever so slightly smaller than average ears and head, so with how important fit is to a sound signature, this is important to mention. I get a fantastic fit and seal with the KEF.

As for being able to perform wired, well let me tell you, absolutely, and very nicely so. One of the first things I did was use the Space One connected to my Q5s with the AM3D amp module and it was sublime. I used LDAC into the Q5s from my phone and the sound was very nice. I like to use very small equalizations, and with the KEF I modestly boost the low bass and it responds very well to good equalization. Now the cable it comes with is the Achilles heel in the sense that it is too short likely unless you are sitting close to the amp and your system. I suspect there would be several after market cables that would fit the cup termination which doesn't seem too unrealistic. Anyway, I've tried to give you as much information on the headphone as I can. Good luck however you decide and I look forward to reading your impressions of your eventual choice.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #3,483 of 3,643

Thank you!

I am a 30 year studio music production / and commercial studio owner veteran.

the thing to watch out for if you are a performing (playing / singing) producer is latency from Bluetooth.it will ruin timing

Lots of Bluetooth headphones have noise cancelling but this creates too bizarre a sound to rely on for studio monitoring IMHO - its nowhere near flat.

The Audio Technica ATH-DSR9BT sounds absolutely AMAZING to my studio producer ears.

But they are also NOT flat frequency wise! They have a smile (or V) curve with a lot of boxy low mid removed

this makes them sound FUN

they DONT have an analog cable.

but they DO have a usb cable that allows for 96k 24 bit audio. This sounds incredible!!

They have AptX HD also.

0EDA4CE3-DEF1-41AF-A4A2-7B102231711A.jpeg
5E1223B7-2D04-4EA0-84D9-2E090E96822D.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #3,485 of 3,643
Hey guys,

What is the best under $50 Bluetooth on or over-ear headphones I could buy? I don't care about the brand as long as it sounds good. For reference, I have tried the second headphone in this list; OneOdio Elysium and I've loved it.

TIA :D
I don't want to say "best", but I have some recommendations around your price range.

Audio-Technica DSR7BT (Renewed) $64.99 - If you can deal with some white noise similar to what you'd hear from ANC being on (the DSR7BT does not have ANC, just a little background hissing), the sound is very good here. Good build quality relative to the price.
https://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-DSR7BT-Wireless-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B07R3G1J6X/

Plantronics BackBeat GO 600 (Used, Like New) $28.95 - Pretty good for standard listening and will satisfy most people.
https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-BackBeat-Noise-Isolating-Headphones-Bluetooth/dp/B07BDRHT4M/

Boltune ANC Headphones (New) $54.99 - I don't have these, but there are some people on this forum that like them and they review well.
https://www.amazon.com/Boltune-Cancelling-Headphones-Bluetooth-Microphone/dp/B07TWG64GR/

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #3,486 of 3,643
The pure digital drive of these is amazing. Audio-Technica DSR7BT

I have the 9 version

Apr 30, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #3,489 of 3,643
Audio Technica ATH-DSR9BT
Audio Technica ATH-WS99BT

Or

XM3s?
Depends what you're looking for.

Excellent SQ, then Audio Technica ATH-DSR9BT.

Good SQ and Excellent ANC, then 1000XM3.

Audio Technica ATH-WS99BT are OK, but nothing special. I ended up giving them away to my 14 year old son, if that tells you anything.

None of them are particularly good for calls, so if you need call ability, I'd recommend the Bose NC700.

Apr 30, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #3,491 of 3,643
You must try them via usb cable @ 96k 24 bit

amazing

I am now using Audio Hijack as a host for a FabFilter Pro Q3 Audio Unit eq to sweeten the sound.

Amazing level of control on this EQ and superb sound!

Screenshot 2020-04-30 at 18.38.23.png

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #3,492 of 3,643
Hello everyone, I have been looking for a new pair of over ear bt headphones. All I want are sound quality, soundstage, and comfort. I don’t care much for anc since these will be a home pair. If I had to chose from Bose Qc 35 ii, Sony 1000xm3, Kef Space zones, Ath Dsr9bt, sennheir momentums 3, and audeze mobius. Taking recommendations as well, thank you in advance!

May 1, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #3,494 of 3,643
I have a DragonFly Red USB DAC, I guess I can't use this with the Audio Technica's because its USB input?
You'd have to convert the analog signal back to digital, but I don't see why you'd want to do that. The DSR9BT has a direct digital input and it's own on-board system with a direct digital drive, which sounds even better over USB vs. Bluetooth.

One of the better reviews I've seen:
https://audiobacon.net/2017/06/20/audio-technica-ath-dsr9bt-bluetooth-headphone-review/

May 1, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #3,495 of 3,643

Users who are viewing this thread

Back