Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Apr 12, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #3,213 of 3,643

I made a brief post on the prior page of this thread a week ago about the H4.  There's also a H4 thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/834917/b-o-beoplay-h4-announced

I can't offer a direct comparison to other similar bluetooth headphones, but the H4 certainly seems like a strong contender in the $300 price range, especially if you could care less about aptX, ANC support and a removable battery.  Other than support for a B&O eq mobile app there aren't any "frivolous" extra features.  While the H4 doesn't have the touch controls of B&O's more expensive bluetooth headphones the three button setup on the bottom of the right ear cup works just fine.  Build quality is really good, and the ear pads are super comfy when listening for extended periods.  Sound signature is a little more bass heavy than balanced, but in a controlled/fun/enjoyable way.  There's a clean/punchiness to audio.  Pretty much meets (but not exceeds) my expectations for sound quality in the $300 price range.  I'm a satisfied customer so far...

I see in your other posts that your looking at the H7 as well.  I've read in reviews that the H4 sound compares favorably to the H7, but I can't confirm that for certain.   Definitely try to find a store to listen to them in person if possible.

Just curious if you wear glasses?  I've been looking at the H4 but am concerned about using an over ear with glasses since most I've tried tend to press on my glasses and move them around.  I've tried the B&W P5 wireless and they seem comfortable with no issues.  I'm also very interested in the M&D HW50 - but the cost is scaring me a bit.

Apr 13, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #3,214 of 3,643
If you buy from Amazon you can easily return them fuss free!

Let us know how you get on with them?

I am very pleased with my purchase. They are very light and they sit comfortably on my head. For the price and for the features it comes with, it is definitely a great buy. Sound wise, I am no expert, but they sound pretty great. I would say however, that the sound is not on-pair with the more expensive models, and I will most likely still save up for the new V-Moda Crossfade 2, maybe. Time will tell. So far I am enjoying these.

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #3,215 of 3,643
I am very pleased with my purchase. They are very light and they sit comfortably on my head. For the price and for the features it comes with, it is definitely a great buy. Sound wise, I am no expert, but they sound pretty great. I would say however, that the sound is not on-pair with the more expensive models, and I will most likely still save up for the new V-Moda Crossfade 2, maybe. Time will tell. So far I am enjoying these.

I'm glad your enjoying them! Have you worked out the bass boost yet? When I bought them a while back there was no mention of it and no instructions, that may have changed now? I agree, they're great for the money but obviously they are never going to compare with the very best!

I've actually never tried any of the V-Moda, partially because I've heard mixed reviews and partially because of the styling which isn't really my cup of tea! My recommendations if your willing to spend a decent amount would be the B&W P7w, or if your on a budget then definitely the Onkyo H500BT's which are really not that far off the P7's in sound quality and signature!

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #3,216 of 3,643
I'm glad your enjoying them! Have you worked out the bass boost yet? When I bought them a while back there was no mention of it and no instructions, that may have changed now? I agree, they're great for the money but obviously they are never going to compare with the very best!

I've actually never tried any of the V-Moda, partially because I've heard mixed reviews and partially because of the styling which isn't really my cup of tea! My recommendations if your willing to spend a decent amount would be the B&W P7w, or if your on a budget then definitely the Onkyo H500BT's which are really not that far off the P7's in sound quality and signature!

Yeah, there was a small instruction included. The BT4.1 version even enables you to disable that voice that confirms your keypresses. For now, they suit my needs just fine. I will be using them mostly at work, or when I have to travel by train, so its a pair of headphones that will be put in the backback quite often (without the case), so the price and sturdiness makes them excellent. But if I become more of an audiophile, well, who knows? :)

I haven't tried the V-Moda either, but they just fit my style perfectly with the rose-gold metal - damn, and their features are just what I have been looking for. Not a huge fan of the Onkyo, nor the B&W actually. I'm more of a Sennheiser Momentum-style guy.

Apr 13, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #3,217 of 3,643
Yeah, there was a small instruction included. The BT4.1 version even enables you to disable that voice that confirms your keypresses. For now, they suit my needs just fine. I will be using them mostly at work, or when I have to travel by train, so its a pair of headphones that will be put in the backback quite often (without the case), so the price and sturdiness makes them excellent. But if I become more of an audiophile, well, who knows? :)

I haven't tried the V-Moda either, but they just fit my style perfectly with the rose-gold metal - damn, and their features are just what I have been looking for. Not a huge fan of the Onkyo, nor the B&W actually. I'm more of a Sennheiser Momentum-style guy.

Yeah I too prefer the looks of the Momentums, I just hate the fact that the anc can't be turned off because of the hiss it creates!

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #3,219 of 3,643
  The staging was decent, but they are closed headphones. Instrument separation was again quite good, but not excellent. Anytime you have a bass boosted design (although it is well done here) you are going to loose some clarity, but again, for the money, and for how solid the sound quality is overall, I think the WS99BT is a good buy.

Sorry for the late reply, I did end up getting a pair & disliked it from the very first listen. Tried everything, wired, BT & even different variety of 3.5 mm cable & just couldn't like it. Found it congested, no top end so to speak & poor soundstage. Couldn't return them so they now sit here collecting dust. 

EDIT: I ended up getting the Kingston HyperX cloud core which I really enjoy, costs less than half the price. I connect it to my Sony stereo BT device & I am able to use it during my walks. 

Apr 22, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #3,220 of 3,643

Sorry for the late reply, I did end up getting a pair & disliked it from the very first listen. Tried everything, wired, BT & even different variety of 3.5 mm cable & just couldn't like it. Found it congested, no top end so to speak & poor soundstage. Couldn't return them so they now sit here collecting dust. 

EDIT: I ended up getting the Kingston HyperX cloud core which I really enjoy, costs less than half the price. I connect it to my Sony stereo BT device & I am able to use it during my walks. 

Sorry to hear that the sound signature wasn't for you. I have to admit to liking the WS99BT, but I would say it was my favourite. I don't currently have it on hand as I sold it to my brother, but I should borrow it for a listen again. I don't remember feeling it was congested, not more than any bass emphasized signature typically is. I do remember that it wasn't a bright headphone, but no top end, sure can't say I remember that as being a characteristic. Do you by chance prefer brighter, less bass weight in favour of speed signatures? 

Apr 22, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #3,221 of 3,643
  Sorry to hear that the sound signature wasn't for you. I have to admit to liking the WS99BT, but I would say it was my favourite. I don't currently have it on hand as I sold it to my brother, but I should borrow it for a listen again. I don't remember feeling it was congested, not more than any bass emphasized signature typically is. I do remember that it wasn't a bright headphone, but no top end, sure can't say I remember that as being a characteristic. Do you by chance prefer brighter, less bass weight in favour of speed signatures? 

I don't know what speed signature means but I do like bass oriented cans. In contrast, I thought the WS1100 was quite good as far as bass centric headphones go. Had they made a WS1100 BT version I would have kept them & been very pleased with them. The Kingstons are fun headphones, they do have a slight V sound but not so much. Now that we are talking about AT's solid bass lineup, I even liked the WS770is a lot better than the WS99BT. May be I just prefer the current generation of solid bass headphones v. the previous generation. 

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #3,222 of 3,643

I don't know what speed signature means but I do like bass oriented cans. In contrast, I thought the WS1100 was quite good as far as bass centric headphones go. Had they made a WS1100 BT version I would have kept them & been very pleased with them. The Kingstons are fun headphones, they do have a slight V sound but not so much. Now that we are talking about AT's solid bass lineup, I even liked the WS770is a lot better than the WS99BT. May be I just prefer the current generation of solid bass headphones v. the previous generation. 

Indeed, personal preference is always at play. I haven't heard any of the newest AT collection or the WS770is you mentioned. I do like AT stuff, but I never love it. I am more inclined in portables toward the H7, P7 and the H500BT. I would take any of those over the WS99BT, but as I said, I did like the WS99BT well enough. Different strokes for different folks. Glad you found something to your liking and just sell the WS99BT, you should be able to get a fair price as many people do like them so plenty of buyers around I'm sure.

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #3,223 of 3,643
  Indeed, personal preference is always at play. I haven't heard any of the newest AT collection or the WS770is you mentioned. I do like AT stuff, but I never love it. I am more inclined in portables toward the H7, P7 and the H500BT. I would take any of those over the WS99BT, but as I said, I did like the WS99BT well enough. Different strokes for different folks. Glad you found something to your liking and just sell the WS99BT, you should be able to get a fair price as many people do like them so plenty of buyers around I'm sure.

I would hope so, at present funds are tight so purchasing a dedicated BT headphones are out of the cards. What do you use at the moment & how would you compare it to the WS99BT? 

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #3,224 of 3,643
  I would hope so, at present funds are tight so purchasing a dedicated BT headphones are out of the cards. What do you use at the moment & how would you compare it to the WS99BT? 

I currently have and like the MDR 1000X, but my preferred BT is the Onkyo H500BT. Sadly it seems harder to get so a demo of it might be difficult and I already helped steer you astray once it seems. I do know that the few people that I know of who have tried the H500BT seem to like it, some very much. One person liked it overall, but felt the treble was not to his taste being strong in his opinion. I certainly don't feel that way, but as you know, we all have our individual sensitivities and preferences. Beyond that my favourite, but not by much over the Onkyo was the B&W P7 wireless, but that one certainly has large bass, but I and most that I know of feel the bass while central is well done. There is a new Blue wireless coming, the Satellite, but I'm sure it will be pricey, at least $300US I'm sure, perhaps even higher. It does sound interesting.

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #3,225 of 3,643
  I currently have and like the MDR 1000X, but my preferred BT is the Onkyo H500BT. Sadly it seems harder to get so a demo of it might be difficult and I already helped steer you astray once it seems. I do know that the few people that I know of who have tried the H500BT seem to like it, some very much. One person liked it overall, but felt the treble was not to his taste being strong in his opinion. I certainly don't feel that way, but as you know, we all have our individual sensitivities and preferences. Beyond that my favourite, but not by much over the Onkyo was the B&W P7 wireless, but that one certainly has large bass, but I and most that I know of feel the bass while central is well done. There is a new Blue wireless coming, the Satellite, but I'm sure it will be pricey, at least $300US I'm sure, perhaps even higher. It does sound interesting.

Thanks for the suggestions, appreciate it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back