Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
May 8, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #2,402 of 3,643
I'm looking for a pair of basshead Bluetooth headphones. Mainly for drum and bass and 90s jungle. This is to use with Windows Phone, so would like aptx.

Currently Looking at the following:
Plantronics Backbeat Pro (but looks a bit big/heavy/ugly)
Fidelio M2BT (looks awesome, but seems to be lot of complaints about glue coming off and durability?)
Sennheiser Urbanite
JBL SB400
Sony MDR-XB950BT

Would prefer them to be bass boosted at least a little out of the box, as the EQ on my phone doesn't seem to work with BT headphones

Also grateful for any suggestions not on the above list!

Currently have the vmoda CFW, which I will be returning due to Bluetooth cutouts and lack of aptx.

May 8, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #2,403 of 3,643
Hi, I'm so amazed with the article and all the warm answers in the discussion that I also had to create my account and ask! :) First of all, thanks a lot of all the work you're going here. I was doing my own research for quite some time and until I found this article (through amazon comment btw), I was unable to find anything comprehensive.

I would like to ask for your expert opinion. What I'm looking for wireless headphones, on-ear preferably. I listen music most of my working hours in the office (4-6 hours per day) and I would like to use them also for making international phone calls, so some decent quality in how they remove surrounding noise transfered into mic is important for me. I don't plan to primary use them while traveling so although it would be nice to have some noice canceling, it's not must-have for me. On the other hand I plan to transport them between home-park-office quite often so good transportability would be definitely appreciated.

I mostly listen electronic music (DnB), alternative music, indie-rock. I don't have strong focus on one music style, tho. From time to time I'm in a mood for something more relaxed, sometimes I'm going deeper into more hard electro. So basically looking for some balanced headphones with enhanced listening for electronic.

After reading many articles, I have few favorites:
- Philips Fidelio M2BT
- Bose SoundLink On-Ear
- AKG Y45BT

Which one would you recommend to me? Or are there any others I've missed during my research and which would fit my needs? Thanks a lot!

May 8, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #2,404 of 3,643
  I'm looking for a pair of basshead Bluetooth headphones. Mainly for drum and bass and 90s jungle. This is to use with Windows Phone, so would like aptx.

Currently Looking at the following:

Fidelio M2BT (looks awesome, but seems to be lot of complaints about glue coming off and durability?)

Would prefer them to be bass boosted at least a little out of the box, as the EQ on my phone doesn't seem to work with BT headphones

Welcome! Two at a time. Well, I've been here many, many...um...days, so I'll jump right in. (Can't seem to get the "multi quote" button to work.)

@slysy:  I'm all about the Fidelio M2BT;  I'm biased: Buy them!

@Hamm: 
"So basically looking for some balanced headphones with enhanced listening for electronic."

Maybe not for you. M2BT are not balanced. They have a big bass bottom.

I've used mine daily for 1.5 years and have had no un-gluing issues or any issues, for that matter. I've seen pictures of how they can come apart on the ear pads. I think it has something to do with sweat. I don't do anything sweaty when I use headphones, so maybe that's why I've been fine with them. If they did come apart on me, I would just take a fine needle and thread and sew them back together with what I call a leather stitch (pull thread threw a loop...) A fine thread would not be noticeable on the ear. But that's just me. I fix stuff like that all the time just because I can.

Otherwise, very solid and durable. I don't have any BT issues either. They do engage and respond a little differently than others might, but it doesn't bother me--I'm in total love with the sound.

May 9, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #2,405 of 3,643
Thanks 1wyseman. One other concern I have about the Fidelios is the range. I read in various places that the range on these is not great. I had cutouts on the VModa CFW in Central London, so I guess buying something with good range would have a stronger signal and make this less likely? Thanks

May 9, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #2,406 of 3,643
Do you mean the range inside of a building--walking away from the source, or while wearing them with the source in your pocket while walking around outside? I think the range is average. And I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have any problems while carrying it round with you.

May 9, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #2,407 of 3,643
Thanks [COLOR=6A6A6A]1wyseman. One other concern I have about the Fidelios is the range. I read in various places that the range on these is not great. I had cutouts on the VModa CFW in Central London, so I guess buying something with good range would have a stronger signal and make this less likely? Thanks[/COLOR]

Interesting. I had no issues with my CFW in New York City, with iPhone 6+ and Galaxy S7. Both cities obviously have a high concentration of wireless signals inside and out.

May 9, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #2,408 of 3,643
Interesting. I had no issues with my CFW in New York City, with iPhone 6+ and Galaxy S7. Both cities obviously have a high concentration of wireless signals inside and out.

I tried two sets of CFW with Lumia950, Lumia830 and Surface Pro 4 and got the same issue. It seems to occur mostly in crowded train stations. There are a lot of wifi networks from shops there and also many other people also using bluetooth devices (not just headphones but also fitness bands etc)

May 9, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #2,409 of 3,643
Okay, I have  spent much time scanning this thread, so will add my own $.04.  (That's my two cents' worth, adjusted for inflation.)

I started with the Jabra Move, which appear on many lists of 'best budget BT headphones,' and are often recommended as a top choice under $100. I got mine for $60 from the Jabra site right after last Thanksgiving. They sound good through BT, fit well, are light and comfortable, and give a very solid BT connection. My only quibble is that, whenever I turn them on, I have to go into my playing device and pair them up - they don't stay paired.

Not content to leave well enough alone, I then acquired the B&W P5 wireless model, which sells for $400. (I used frequent flyer miles to buy them.) To my dismay, the sound quality, after 100+ hours of burn-in, is only very slightly better than that of the $60 Jabra headphones -- the P5w gives slightly clearer and tighter bass and mid-bass and overall slightly better clarity, but the advantage is only apparent in direct comparisons - and even then it is subtle. The P5w is also heavier, harder to position properly on my ears (I hate the rectangular earpads - it's like having a couple bars of soap clamped to my noggin), and the BT signal cuts out more often. The real advantage of the P5w is that it stays paired with my device: all I have to do is put them on, press the power button, and press the pause/play button on the headphones and the music starts up just where it left off.

All of the above is through a latest-gen iPod, playing Spotify Extreme tracks (320 kbps).

If I were doing it again, I would've bought the Jabra Moves and been done with it.

Neither is a substitute for a good cabled headphone: at home, my Grado SR80e blows either of these BT 'phones out of the water. But for walking the dogs, cleaning the house, working in the yard, BT is the business.

May 9, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #2,411 of 3,643

@Hamm: 
"So basically looking for some balanced headphones with enhanced listening for electronic."

Maybe not for you. M2BT are not balanced. They have a big bass bottom.

I've used mine daily for 1.5 years and have had no un-gluing issues or any issues, for that matter. I've seen pictures of how they can come apart on the ear pads. I think it has something to do with sweat. I don't do anything sweaty when I use headphones, so maybe that's why I've been fine with them. If they did come apart on me, I would just take a fine needle and thread and sew them back together with what I call a leather stitch (pull thread threw a loop...) A fine thread would not be noticeable on the ear. But that's just me. I fix stuff like that all the time just because I can.

Otherwise, very solid and durable. I don't have any BT issues either. They do engage and respond a little differently than others might, but it doesn't bother me--I'm in total love with the sound.

Hi 1wyseman, thanks for your reply!

I have to admit, I'm not sure what's your message to me ..on one hand you're discouraging me from M2BT because of big bass bottom, on the other hand you're recommending them :). Would you have any other recommendation which fit better to my needs? What do you think about Bose SoundLink On-Ear? They seem to be quite comparable to M2BT with better portability (which is a benefit for me) but maybe a bit worse performance for electro music? From the other side, I've read somewhere that M2BT might be a little bit worse during phone calls which is definitely something I need to use quite often as I'm making calls almost every day in the 10+ people office.

Or would you know about any other models I haven't mentioned which provides all the features I'm looking for?
Thanks!

May 9, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #2,412 of 3,643
Well after much consideration, mainly between ath st5bt and sony 100abn, ive decided to stick with my puro bt5200 i got for $60 refurbished. Im sure the 2 i mentioned are somewhat "better", but the puro is very good value. Sounds really good, does everything well but doesnt excell or lack anywhere. 99% of my listening is during weight lifting. I also have mé x7plus, and i am waiting on Trinity Audio to release the bluetooth cable for the atlas iems in next month or so.

May 10, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #2,414 of 3,643

Hi 1wyseman, thanks for your reply!

I have to admit, I'm not sure what's your message to me ..on one hand you're discouraging me from M2BT because of big bass bottom, on the other hand you're recommending them :)

Or would you know about any other models I haven't mentioned which provides all the features I'm looking for?
Thanks!

Sorry, I was answering 2 different posts at the same time. The recommendation was for slysy. So, no soup for you! 

I don't know what I was thinking jumping in like that--I usually stay clear of recommendations and read, read, read myself. (I just read 134 pages on the Head-fi Hifiman Edition X thread and every review ever published or Youtubed on the inter-web before pulling the trigger on my purchase. And I can always send them back if...

Two new people and specific questions about my all-time favorite (M2BT)--I just couldn't resist.

But there are 161 pages right here with a nifty search function to locate specific items in this thread or the general search of the forum. When Giogio is done with his new comparison, there will be plenty more to read.

May 10, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #2,415 of 3,643
Which is your favorite Bluetooth headphone?

Spoken like somebody who hasn't read the intro...
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back