Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Apr 6, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #2,206 of 3,643
Almost ordered ath sr5bt from bhphoto..,or Sony h.ear from Japan (couple guys just received them, anxiously waiting reviews.

Trying to hold off as Trinity Audio is releasing a Bluetooth cable for the Atlas items, which are fantastic from sound, fit, price, and value. If the cable sounds 90% as good as wired, I'll be set

Apr 7, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #2,207 of 3,643
I received the ATH-SR5BT yesterday and I like them a lot for now.
SQ is very good, well balanced, pretty detailed, clear. The highs are crisp (without sibilance yet), the bass is present but not overwhelming, mediums are perfect to my ears. Sound stage is pretty good.
Comfort is EXCELLENT. I own the Fidelio L1's (which I can't keep on my ears more than 2 hours in a row, too much clamping force) and Sennheiser Momentum 2.0, the most comfortable are the SR5BT by a mile.
I don't know yet concerning the autonomy, but the battery level on my phone is still full after 3 hours of use so I guess it's good.

PS: sorry for my english.

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #2,210 of 3,643
Hi everyone, 
First post on head-fi for me, I couldn't help myself : I read this subject with great interest, and even allowed myself to forward it on reddit (on /r/headphones). It gained some upvotes there : Giogio there are redditors who will be happy to read your huge comparison ! So thanks a lot for all these efforts, your guide is the most complete I could find on the english-speaking web.

Anyways, I'm planning on buying bluetooth cans, after having listened to my father's Sony MDR-1ABT, I must say I found them extremely comfortable, even though they sounded quite muddy in the lower spectrum.

I'm currently listening to most of my music on my Etymotic Research ER4-P, through a macbook jack, and with Spotify Premium 320kbps ogg-vorbis files as sources, otherwise pure lossless files. I really like the neutrality of these, but what I enjoy the most from them is their detail restitution.

However, I'd like to get a pair of bluetooth cans that will sound 'funnier', thus providing a complementary experience : I know they're not going to be as precise as my ER4, but I don't care, I'd rather have something less neutral but pleasant to listen to, and with some well-defined although not overwhelming bass, since the ER4 are famous for being quite dry regarding low frequencies. 

So I'm really looking forward to reading you Giogio about the ATH-SR5BT, I'm also curious about the WS99BT, but I'd rather wait for you Giogio to talk about all these newcomers. And my budget wouldn't be more than 300€. Ideally 200€.

@Siobo : Bonjour cher compatriote :) 
 So you don't regret your 200€ ? Are they on-ear or over-ear ? Did you get a chance to try their bluetooth functions (calling, micro etc) ? Last questions, how long before son-video delivered them to you ? Merci beaucoup !

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #2,211 of 3,643
@CaptainzGreg Despite my mixed reception to the Denon AH GC20, I suspect many people would enjoy the tuning. My friend was here yesterday and he enjoyed the GC20 as much as the WS99BT with the HM5 pads on. That doesn't mean you will feel the same way, but I could see quickly getting used to how the Denon presents music. It is certainly designed for the mobile user.

I'm hooked on the H7s sound so for me the Denon doesn't work, but based on reviews I have read and my friends impressions, I suspect the GC20 is a viable option to consider. It certainly is very comfortable, folds up easily, well built and even supports Apt X LL so that may be a factor to consider as well.

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #2,212 of 3,643
Hey @Sonic Defender, thanks for the reply and the insights. The Denon seem indeed very good, but I'm afraid they are too expensive for me (I, like you, was also dranwed to the H7, but they are way above my budget). I unforgivably forgot to mention that I'm looking for a 250€/$ device, over-the-ear would also be better. 

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #2,213 of 3,643
  Hey @Sonic Defender, thanks for the reply and the insights. The Denon seem indeed very good, but I'm afraid they are too expensive for me (I, like you, was also dranwed to the H7, but they are way above my budget). I unforgivably forgot to mention that I'm looking for a 250€/$ device, over-the-ear would also be better. 

Have you given any thought to the XTZ Divine?

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #2,215 of 3,643
@Siobo : Bonjour cher compatriote :) 
 So you don't regret your 200€ ? Are they on-ear or over-ear ? Did you get a chance to try their bluetooth functions (calling, micro etc) ? Last questions, how long before son-video delivered them to you ? Merci beaucoup !

Salut ! :)
I don't regret my 168€ :) (I had a 80€ coupon that I purchased for 40€ on vente-privee, I think the offer ended last tuesday but you can check). I tried a lot of bluetooth cans those last weeks, the best sounding one was the Bose Soundlink II (so you can tell I love my cans the more neutral possible) but highs felt a bit "agressive" to my taste and the bass sounded a bit recessed. The SR5BT are much more well-balanced. 

They're on-ear. They feel more comfortable on my head than every single over-ear model I've tried/purchased so far. I guess it's up to your personal preferences. To me, the clamping on most over-ear cans is just unbearable. The SR5BT do feel a bit warm after a long period of use, but they're still comfortable. 

I haven't tested the call functions yet. I have tested the wired mode, and the sound is slightly (really slightly) more precise. They sound amazing wireless though and I don't plan on using the cable much, unless I have no battery left. My only regret is the remote doesn't have volume control, it seems to be a new trend those days, don't know why.

I purchased them on Sunday afternoon, the order was dispatched on Tuesday morning and I received it yesterday morning. 

N'hésite pas si tu as d'autres questions :wink:

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #2,216 of 3,643
  He has bitten off more than anybody should chew!
I'm not even sure getting free headphones would entice me to do that much work, the man/woman (I actually don't know Giogio's gender) is a machine, tons of respect.

I am a Panda.

About the free units I am afraid it does not work like you imagine.
Test Units are sent typically for 2-4 weeks, then must be sent back.
You are usually asked to sign a Lean Contract.

That's why I am mostly stalking the last Companies which still have to send me units, or when the last arrive, the first will be gone.
Which is not a huge problem because anyway you do not compare 70 Headphones together, so you always make groups and then mix them, a bit like in the Football World Cup.
So if the last should arrive a bit late, there will still be lot of headphones there to compare them with, which I have compared with the first ones. All good.
But, sooner is better.

Now, what I do must say is that some Companies have indeed decided to let me keep the Test Unit, mostly because of the fact that this would help as future reference, because you guys make so many questions, so specific ones too, which often require a "Comparison on demand", so that I cannot answer without having the headphone there.
These Companies like to play transparent and want me to be able to answer all possible questions, and also to be able to burn the headphones in, so to be able to update the review in the future, saying how the sound will change. And other things which can only be found over the time, wearing those headphones, and only those, for a long consecutive time (1 month at least) something which you can NOT do when comparing 70 Headphones.

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #2,217 of 3,643
I will launch the Review of the SR5 tonight.
It will be a pre-review because I am still waiting for some answers from their Project Manager.
But it will tell you a lot of what you can expect from them.

I must agree in most part with what said by our French newcomer.
And, no, if you are expecting a smaller WS99BT you will be disappointed. They are indeed small, but they do not have the Bass Power of the WS99BT.
They have a very balanced, not at all boosted bass, which anyway is there enough to please anybody else than Bassheads.
And can be pushed more with EQ, yes. Just, nowhere near the levels of the WS99BT.
But till now I must say, the most balanced, neutral, and clean sounding On Ear BT Headphones, after the XTZ Headphones Divine (with Dirac).

Stay tuned.

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #2,218 of 3,643
@Giogio, well I think it is a monumental task, but you will cement your place in head-fi history for sure! It is good that some companies allow you to keep the headphones, small cost to them considering the sales you may help generate for them. Try not to burn out my bamboo munching friend and hopefully enjoy yourself along the way.

Apr 7, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #2,219 of 3,643
Apr 7, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #2,220 of 3,643
I tried the Denon AH GC20 again and just couldn't accept the quality of sound. It is just not acceptable. I'm not sure who approved that tuning at Denon, but I wouldn't have let it get off of the testing floor. Everything else is quite good, but not that sound signature, not a chance I could live with it. It actually reminded me of years ago when I listened to a Beats headphone with that forward, honky sounding bass. Anyway, maybe it is just me, but I couldn't keep it. To me, that sound signature should be around the $100 price point. I'll bet the mids and treble were good, just overshadowed by the bass and the tuning of the bass was quite different. I'm not sure, but it was not a well done signature in my mind. Too bad, I liked everything else about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back