Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Jan 15, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #1,801 of 3,643
Yeah, I tried using a compact 9 band equaliser between the tv and transmitter but as I suspected it added even more delay rendering it unusable!

I don't mind the highs too much on the XB950's, there still seems (imo) to be a nice quality to them and it avoids any piercing sound during loud action sequences in movies!

As I'm after the similar kind of sub bass of the Fidelio's the H8's do seem the better option over the m2aebt's although their comfort is tempting!

Yeah the lack of aptx on the Parrot's puts me off a bit!

The Aventree's sound very interesting! It looks like they even have a built in bass boost like the XB950's! I'm guessing you were sent a demo if they haven't been released yet?

I hear you'll be demoing the 1-abt's soon? I'm absolutely sure you'll love them! They have the comfort and low hiss of the XB950's and the same smooth warm sound but they are much more forward and involving with very clear mids and crystal highs! They don't have quite as much sub bass as I'd like but the bass in general is very good! For me the highs were to much for loud action movies but for music they're great!

Ok so after a suggestion from Giorgio at XB's thread I am going to revise this latest mod and even am considering purchasing the XBs to test it for myself.  I have been considering purchasing but when I listened to them at the store, I noticed the audio quality lacked "life" and lacked the audio quality overall.   Ive been putting off buying to a large degree for that reason, and sacrificing wireless functionality for something like the  Monster Inspiration and its well put together, deep clear bass, and superior sound vs the XB's for gym use, despite being anchored by the cable of the Inspirations.  

But I am starting to change my mind, they may improve a whole lot with this mod.   I will be following this thread intently.

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #1,802 of 3,643

If your budget was higher I would have suggested the Bose Soundlink On Ear, because they have very soft pads and are very comfortable on long term for many people, also those with sensitive ears.
 And because it has got a good wireless range (so she can go to the kitchen without drop outs) and a good working multipoint (so she can connect them to the notebook AND the mobile at same time, and can answer calls from the mobile while listening to music on the notebook (the music will be paused automatically).
Other ones which do not cost too much and have these two advantages are the Plantronics Backbeat Pro. Even better range, even better multipoint. Plus extra nice functions like head sensor (the music will be paused when she wear the headphones off for a moment) and open mic (she pushes a button and can hear the noises around amplified, while the music is lowered in volume) and a basic noise cancelling.

The Move have multipoint too, anyway.
As also the new Plantronics Sense, which also have head sensor and open mic like the Pro (although apparently the open mic pauses the music). According to @Snafflington, who has tried both Sense and Move, the Sense may be a bit more comfortable, have a bit better Multipoint, and a bit more detailed high end.
You can ask him about which one has got a better wireless range.

On your price range there are the Meelectronics Matrix2 which sound quite neutral, no bass boost, no warm push on the mids, quite bright a bit cold but not piercing highs. No extra functions, no fancy colours. But it is over ear and so it could result more comfortable on long term.
And you talk of Euro so you can find the Supertooth Freedom, which sound to me MUCH better than the Matrix2, as I like a little push on the bass and some warmth on the mids. It is also Over Ear and very comfortable. No extra functions.

You may want to buy 2-3 headphones and let her choose and send back the rest.

Have not read the entire 121 page thread, but can you shed some light if you've used the Bose Soundlink II's vs the QC25s once wired? ...    had the QC15 and as fond of its sound signature, I realize the QC25's have evolved and I have not tried those but they retain a lot of the Bose signature.  Im thinking the Soundlink II's basically share most of that same clarity and bass response with the QC25's to a large extent?     Edit: read your comparison on page 1 and you had the Soundlink On's not the Soundlink II's right?

I really like the functionality of the Soundlink II's, specially to pair with the Nvidia Shield and my phone.  Would only consider it the bass richness, clarity etc is not downgraded much from its flagship cousin, the QC25's.    

As an aside, I have considered the Samsung Level Ons and Level Over versions (dont like the price of the latter though) - but not confident in the bass response on those, only thing I can compare them to is an AKG's bass signature on one I owned before, though I have read that they have adequate audio quality. 

Also - with regards to the Audio Technica ATH-WS99BT, you said it  had a very detailed powerful bass-how would you compare it to the Monster Inspiration?

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #1,803 of 3,643
But I am starting to change my mind, they may improve a whole lot with this mod.   I will be following this thread intently.

There may have been a misunderstanding. The best thread for learning about the mods for the XB is the XB thread, clearly. You find here some users who did it (like techfixation), but you find more there.
Anyway we like to be followed. You can also love us if you want :)

Edit: read your comparison on page 1 and you had the Soundlink On's not the Soundlink II's right?  
As an aside, I have considered the Samsung Level Ons and Level Over versions (dont like the price of the latter though) - but not confident in the bass response on those, only thing I can compare them to is an AKG's bass signature on one I owned before, though I have read that they have adequate audio quality.   
Also - with regards to the Audio Technica ATH-WS99BT, you said it  had a very detailed powerful bass-how would you compare it to the Monster Inspiration?

Yes. I have only tried the On Ear. The Over Ear were launched in the second half of 2015 where I was not active as a tester.

I did not try the level on as I had read they were not as good as the level over (which did not impress me). There are now the level over pro, which I would indeed be happy to test or at least read if somebody has experience with them.
The bass of the level over may disappoint you, if you want a strong bass. I could not get a strong one no matter how much I have pushed with EQ.

Which AKG?

I did not try the Monster, I did not find any interestingly positive review of reliable reviewers. Although I do not know, are these inspiration new?
Yes the ATH have a very detailed, sound, and a very clean punchy powerful bass, with the original earpads. You will probably want to upgrade them with the HM5 earpads which are bigger and more comfortable. In that case the bass will give some of its dry quality, to get some more rumble.
Much of their bass power is only revealed after EQ. If you do not use EQ, they are not for you.
There are anyway many other very good bassy headphones. The choice of which one is "better for you" depends on which kind of bass do you prefer, which kind of music do you listen to, and which other characteristics do you need in headphones.

Jan 15, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #1,804 of 3,643
The high pitch buzzing on the Fidelio's was quite a low volume but still enough to be quite distracting. I've found reviews from others mentioning the same issue so it's definitely not just a problem with the ones I've had. It doesn't happen when wired and it's only in the right ear piece, I'm guessing it's something to do with the amplifier? I've tried them with various equipment and sources and the problem always remained!

As far as hiss, I've experienced it with every bluetooth headphone I've tried. It varies from very bad to barely noticeable, the best being the Sony XB950bt's and the worst the very cheap August EP650's!

Getting technical then according to Bill-P "the hiss is due to there not being enough negative feedback to suppress it. More negative feedback = more current to the circuit (this is independent of current to headphone) = less battery life. So it's more of a "battery life saving" feature."

On some headphones you'll notice the hiss immediately once they've made connection on others it will only become apparent once the audio starts.

When I connect my Sony XB950's I hear a very low hiss straight away but it remains low even when the audio starts. With the Fidelio's I can hear the tiniest hiss (probably not noticeable to most) once they connect but as soon as the audio starts the hiss becomes much more noticeable! Again this is with multiple sources and varying equipment.

If you get the chance please try and find a movie where there's complete silence other than dialogue (sometimes the headphones will momentarily switch off the amp when there's no audio registered) and see if you can notice the hiss? A couple of good films to test this is close to the start of 'The Guest' when the family have just left the house and the clock is ticking (the clock keeps the audio going but makes it very easy to hear the hiss). The 2nd film is 'Edge of Tomorrow', again close to the start of the film when they're talking in the office.

I've tried the ATH WS99BT's but as I'm not able to EQ them I find they lack the bass I'm after.

I would like to try the Momentums but they're a bit too expensive, although if they were exactly what I was looking for then they would probably be worth it!

The H8's and P5's are both on ear which I'm a little put off by. I know the Fidelio's are too but this was another reason for not totally falling in love with them, they were pretty comfy for on ear but nothing compared to my XB950's!

The Guest

Fidelio M2BT

Streaming on Netflix--a high quality movie streaming source in 720p or 1080p HD; audio source with the something something something respectable specifications--according to Wikipedia. Look it up ;-} 

Stennheiser BTD500USB  Bluetooth Dongle running plain-old apt-X

Great sound on the title screen and the pumpkin-head scarecrow!!

But as for a hiss? In the opening scene when the clock is ticking and no other sound occurs, I hear what to my magical brain and headphones (Yes, it has spread to my brain now.) is ambient room noise. I can't interpret it as anything other than natural sound. My brain doesn't hear it as something out of the ordinary and therefore ignores it unless I concentrate on only that. I wouldn't distinguish it as anything more foreign than my own breathing or the woman's breathing as she sits in the chair or the refrigerator in her kitchen.

Yes, there is what you might call a hiss, but in my default position, I don't hear it as objectionable. I have to force it into my conciousness to notice it. ("Deep Thoughts" by 1wyseman.)

I listened to LP's for 30 years before ever seeing a CD. The sound of a stylus on vinyl is very distinct, but my brain ignores it or else I'd go nuts. Either I don't have the same hiss you're hearing, or I'm losing my hearing--for which I am grateful if it saves me from this.

There will be slight delay in the 'Edge of Tomorrow' test because I have to send back my 3 DVD's for this weekend and there's a holiday on Monday. (I saw this last November.) Among my current crop of DVD's is 'Jurassic World' which I'll use for listening to the Symphony 1's and Momentum 2's.

Now back to our feature presentation: The Guest ......spooky!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #1,805 of 3,643
Originally Posted by 1wyseman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"Deep Thoughts" by 1wyseman
God save the drama queen

Among my current crop of DVD's is 'Jurassic World' which I'll use for listening to the Symphony 1's and Momentum 2's.
So you have the M2AEBT? Why didn't you say it before?
Please side by side comparison with the M2BT (confusing names) on movies. Target: bass and hiss.

And I stream Mr Six. Hopefully will be good.

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #1,806 of 3,643
The Guest

Fidelio M2BT

Streaming on Netflix--a high quality movie streaming source in 720p or 1080p HD; audio source with the something something something respectable specifications--according to Wikipedia. Look it up ;-} 

Stennheiser BTD500USB  Bluetooth Dongle running plain-old apt-X

Great sound on the title screen and the pumpkin-head scarecrow!!

But as for a hiss? In the opening scene when the clock is ticking and no other sound occurs, I hear what to my magical brain and headphones (Yes, it has spread to my brain now.) is ambient room noise. I can't interpret it as anything other than natural sound. My brain doesn't hear it as something out of the ordinary and therefore ignores it unless I concentrate on only that. I wouldn't distinguish it as anything more foreign than my own breathing or the woman's breathing as she sits in the chair or the refrigerator in her kitchen.

Yes, there is what you might call a hiss, but in my default position, I don't hear it as objectionable. I have to force it into my conciousness to notice it. ("Deep Thoughts" by 1wyseman.)

I listened to LP's for 30 years before ever seeing a CD. The sound of a stylus on vinyl is very distinct, but my brain ignores it or else I'd go nuts. Either I don't have the same hiss you're hearing, or I'm losing my hearing--for which I am grateful if it saves me from this.

There will be slight delay in the 'Edge of Tomorrow' test because I have to send back my 3 DVD's for this weekend and there's a holiday on Monday. (I saw this last November.) Among my current crop of DVD's is 'Jurassic World' which I'll use for listening to the Symphony 1's and Momentum 2's.

Now back to our feature presentation: The Guest ......spooky! :veryevil:  

Thank you for performing this test for me, it's helpful to get another opinion from someone using a similar setup!

It's hard to know whether what your hearing is the same as what I'm hearing? It could be that my ears are just more sensitive but I'm sure that if we were hearing the same thing you would definitely find it more distracting than what you've mentioned!

I agree with what your saying about vinyl and it's true that your brain just cancels out the unwanted noise but what I've been hearing is much more noticeable and much more distracting!

A way to describe it would be to say that while watching the same film listening through my 5.1 setup I notice no hiss at all, just a perfectly clear sound with no artifacts what so ever but when listening through headphones suddenly theres a lot more unwanted background noise that just feels like it shouldn't be there!

I'm guessing that as the speakers are so close to the ear that you pick up far more sound than if you were listening from across the room.

While listening through headphones I can definitely tell with certain programs/movies how well they've been recorded as some scenes will be virtually hiss free and in others there is very noticeable hiss. Obviously this is all down to the recording and post editing but it's interesting how it can be heard far more clearly through headphones as opposed to loud speakers.

I do wonder whether in some cases it's this hiss within the recording that is being amplified first through the headphone jack in the tv then through the headphones in built amplifier, and that certain headphones deal with this unwanted hiss much better than others with a better implemented amplifier??

How are you using the usb transmitter? are you viewing the movie on a PC/laptop?

I'm not sure about Netflix but when I stream to my tv via my tablet and DLNA using a variety of free streaming apps then the audio is sent to the tv along with the video and can't be listened directly through the source (tablet) only through the tv!

By the way what did you make of 'The Guest'? Great 80's electro soundtrack to put your headphones through their paces!

Jan 16, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #1,807 of 3,643
  And I stream Mr Six. Hopefully will be good.

Originally Posted by 1wyseman 

"Deep Thoughts" by 1wyseman
God save the drama queen

Among my current crop of DVD's is 'Jurassic World' which I'll use for listening to the Symphony 1's and Momentum 2's.
So you have the M2AEBT? Why didn't you say it before?
Please side by side comparison with the M2BT (confusing names) on movies. Target: bass and hiss.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes, I have the M2AEBT's. They are on my list as Sennheiser Momentum 2's. You're just getting old and senile.
tongue.gif

I'm charging them up now for the rest of my assignments.

Mr. Six? Chinese action thriller? It's not available on Netflix yet--it's on the "Save" list. Let us know what you think.

Jan 16, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #1,808 of 3,643
Thank you for performing this test for me, it's helpful to get another opinion from someone using a similar setup!

It's hard to know whether what your hearing is the same as what I'm hearing? It could be that my ears are just more sensitive but I'm sure that if we were hearing the same thing you would definitely find it more distracting than what you've mentioned!

I agree with what your saying about vinyl and it's true that your brain just cancels out the unwanted noise but what I've been hearing is much more noticeable and much more distracting!

A way to describe it would be to say that while watching the same film listening through my 5.1 setup I notice no hiss at all, just a perfectly clear sound with no artifacts what so ever but when listening through headphones suddenly theres a lot more unwanted background noise that just feels like it shouldn't be there!

I'm guessing that as the speakers are so close to the ear that you pick up far more sound than if you were listening from across the room.

While listening through headphones I can definitely tell with certain programs/movies how well they've been recorded as some scenes will be virtually hiss free and in others there is very noticeable hiss. Obviously this is all down to the recording and post editing but it's interesting how it can be heard far more clearly through headphones as opposed to loud speakers.

I do wonder whether in some cases it's this hiss within the recording that is being amplified first through the headphone jack in the tv then through the headphones in built amplifier, and that certain headphones deal with this unwanted hiss much better than others with a better implemented amplifier??

How are you using the usb transmitter? are you viewing the movie on a PC/laptop?

I'm not sure about Netflix but when I stream to my tv via my tablet and DLNA using a variety of free streaming apps then the audio is sent to the tv along with the video and can't be listened directly through the source (tablet) only through the tv!

By the way what did you make of 'The Guest'? Great 80's electro soundtrack to put your headphones through their paces!

Ah, that notorius bad ass from...'Downton Abbey' ?!

It seems like it will be all shoot 'em up, but the slashing kicks in later. The KPG is a little silly, then I caught on that it's a comedy. Good sound design all around. The explosion in the diner was unique in that there were no flames, just sonic impact and debris. Fun throw back to the 80's only more modern in "execution"--so to speak.

I think I already have the answer on the Def Tech Symphony 1's:  No, not for you; I was wrong. Perfectly adequate for the average viewer, but not a bass head. The dialogue and uppers were crisper, clearer than the M2BT's--too much for my taste. And I detected what might be "hiss" in that it sounded like air flowing all the time. To me it wasn't necessarily annoying but more, well...just airy. Again, I personally don't hear that with the M2BT's. I'm thinking our hearing may not be all that different; the way we perceive sounds and physically react to them is were the difference lies.

The conventional bass line was present in the Def Tech's --solid and adequate. But the entire sub-bass vibration and rumble was completely missing. Like it was a different movie.

I stream and play DVD's on my HP laptop. (17")

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #1,809 of 3,643
  There may have been a misunderstanding. The best thread for learning about the mods for the XB is the XB thread, clearly. You find here some users who did it (like techfixation), but you find more there.
Anyway we like to be followed. You can also love us if you want :)

Yes. I have only tried the On Ear. The Over Ear were launched in the second half of 2015 where I was not active as a tester.

I did not try the level on as I had read they were not as good as the level over (which did not impress me). There are now the level over pro, which I would indeed be happy to test or at least read if somebody has experience with them.
The bass of the level over may disappoint you, if you want a strong bass. I could not get a strong one no matter how much I have pushed with EQ.

Which AKG?

I did not try the Monster, I did not find any interestingly positive review of reliable reviewers. Although I do not know, are these inspiration new?
Yes the ATH have a very detailed, sound, and a very clean punchy powerful bass, with the original earpads. You will probably want to upgrade them with the HM5 earpads which are bigger and more comfortable. In that case the bass will give some of its dry quality, to get some more rumble.
Much of their bass power is only revealed after EQ. If you do not use EQ, they are not for you.
There are anyway many other very good bassy headphones. The choice of which one is "better for you" depends on which kind of bass do you prefer, which kind of music do you listen to, and which other characteristics do you need in headphones.

ok I understood it as the mod was inside your thread, but youre now discussing it here.   

I had the AKG K 77 for some time as a backup to the QC15 for when the batteries died on them.  Then one of the pads on the AKG came off when the glue melted off in the summer heat here, got rid of them.  

Alright, Ive read excellent reviews on the Soundlink II's it'd be interesting to see where it would rank in your list now.

The Monster inspirations that came out a few years ago when they left Beats and made their own headphones, very powerful quality bass and clarity on those, maybe the ATH can be compared, but the Inspirations did not require any EQ tweaking to achieve that type of bass.   Very much suited for pop and electronic music, since I had the Grado which are a very flat type audio, Im not interested in that sound.  I do not know for the life of me, why Monster did not release a BT Inspiration version, but I am interested in some opinions on the Monster iSport Bluetooth headphones but I dont recall seeing them in your comparison..  

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Freedom-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B00BBQDDXS/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1452943873&sr=1-2&keywords=monster+bluetooth+headphones

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #1,810 of 3,643
Originally Posted by cymprex340 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ok I understood it as the mod was inside your thread, but youre now discussing it here.  

Alright, Ive read excellent reviews on the Soundlink II's it'd be interesting to see where it would rank in your list now.

why Monster did not release a BT Inspiration version, but I am interested in some opinions on the Monster iSport Bluetooth headphones but I dont recall seeing them in your comparison

No problem. I just wanted to make it sure, for your benefit, that it would be more successful (you would get more answers) if you ask about mods for the XB in the thread for the XB.

I will try to get the Soundlink Over Ear. I am curious to. It will not be now though. So, do not count on (or wait for) that.

Now I get it, the inspiration are not BT. Well, I am not interested in Wired Headphones. I may buy one when I have more money, a VERY very good one, an open back planar magnetic of whatever, something which is supposed to completely WOW me and change my perception of headphones forever. Of course I will also try to find one with detachable cable, and I will stick a BT receiver instead of the cable. I just can't be wired. Anyway this is off topic.

No, I did not try the iSport. I will only if they send them to me. All what I have read about them, compared with all what those same reviewers wrote of all other headphones I have tried, made me understand more or less how they sound, so I was not interested in them for myself. But I would be interested in them for mere testing purposes, if I get them that way.

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #1,811 of 3,643
Mr. Six? Chinese action thriller? It's not available on Netflix yet--it's on the "Save" list. Let us know what you think.

You have internet, you can watch it on Solarmovie.
I have liked it a lot.
It is not what I wanted, not an action/fight flick. It is slow, uncool. It goes deeper than lot of yankee stuff.
Although it was slower and longer than I thought, I did not find it boring, and I have enjoyed it much more than 90% of the meaningless $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ****tiwood productions.
End of the off topic :)

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #1,812 of 3,643
Apples and Oranges--they are separate but equal.

ATH + M2BT+Foobar+Real Bass Exciter comparisons. 

Basic observations--my terminology is that of an amateur, so there's nothing in-depth about this, just my gut reactions. The way I mess around with an equalizer is bi-polar at best, and Foobar reacts kind of slowly--I move on too fast.

No matter what I did with the Real Bass Exciter to the M2BT I didn't like it. They over reacted to everything I tried. Someone who knew what they were doing would get better results. No Exciter for you M2BT. (Probably a given or obvious or something--so moot point?)

The ATH are fantastic and win hands down when EQ'd with the foobar/real bass exciter. I did have to pull back the highs and mids on vocals--which, yes, will surprise you Giogio. M2BT were best flat across the board. I pushed up the mid and highs a little on small classical stuff (mainly piano).

The volume range on the ATH is beyond amazing. It can be really exciting and sometimes a little dangerous. 

Giogio, do you leave the EQ zeroed out or do you constantly adjust for everything? (I'm assuming bass exciter is left running.) I find it very tiring to mess with it constantly. The M2BT's seem to be the most accommodating for a wide range of stuff without messing with it.

And that brings me to the point that has been well established about the ATH:  If you can use them with the Foobar + Real Bass Exciter, then they are a true winner! But I'm not loading 138GB of my personal stuff (CD's and LP's) on to Foobar and leave--at last count--over 180 songs from Spotify now on my FiiO X7 behind. This is the stuff that's interesting me most now, a lot of popular/contemporary Indie-moody-atmospheric-alternative-folk/rock, or whatever you kids are calling it these days.

The ATH will be used for special listening experiences that require something extra.

Music tested included stuff from (CD's and LP's):
Nirvana; Led Zeplin; Rammstein; The Rolling Stones; Ravel piano; Antony and the Johnson; Brokeback Mountain original score; LOTR original score; Shawn Phillips; Emerson Lake and Palmer; CSNY; Joni Mitchell; Judy Collins; Prince; Big Oratorios and really big Pipe Organ.

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #1,813 of 3,643
Hi,
I need some assistance with choosing Bluetooth headphones.

I'm planning to buy Bluetooth headphones as a gift to my cousin for his birthday to replace the
horrible wired on ear headphones that he is currently using. He is using the headphones to watch movies and to listen to music from a PC.
He is mainly listening to dance, pop, and rock music.

My budget is about 160 US$.

I need the headphones to be over the ear, large and comfortable ear cups, aptx support and a long battery life.

I will be very happy to get some recommendations !

If it is a problem to find a nice pair of BT headphones at this price I will buy wired headphones, maybe the ATH-m50x.

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #1,814 of 3,643

The Real Bass Exciter is a difficult beast to domesticate.
It does not just boost frequencies, it also make some phase stuff and shifts some frequencies, the guy who made it did not explain all well.
Basically, it may even weaken the bass, and affect negatively other frequencies, if you do not set it well.
The settings I gave you are for the ATH and would not work on the Fidelio.
For the ATH do not touch anything, or you will affect other frequencies or weaken other parts of the bass. Eventually just increase/decrease the boost by changing the value "harmonic energy".
Eventually also you can change the first value, frequency threshold, to 1200 instead of 900 for a warmer sound, or to 600 or 400 for a less warm sound. But check it with different songs, different bass, voices etc to see if you like it or not.
You can save settings on the plugin, and you can also save a plugin chain in foobar. And you can also put and delete a plugin from the chain quickly to see the changes (generally when you put it back the settings are still the same). If Foobar does not reach quickly, you must decrease the value "buffer" in Foobar menu "playback/output". More buffer = no skipping, less buffer = immediate response to eq changes, other changes, and less latency.
1000ms should be fine for most. You may even use 250ms for faster changes if no other program is running and taking lot of CPU.

For the Fidelio you must experiment.
The Frequency threshold value sets the range of affected frequencies. It is not clear how. Generally speaking I saw that 1200 is warmer, 400 is colder. I have the impression that 900 to 1200 are the best values to respect the original sound, at least on the ATH. This anyway depends also on the last two values (the two pre.wave things). If you change those (I do not suggest it) the way the threshold affects the sound is different.
The Harmonic frequency is the frequency which will be boosted. You may know, 40 to 80 hz is the strong part of the sub bass, that's why most people boost 60. Other boost 80 or 90. Subbass = rumble. 90 to 180 is considered mid-bass and affects other instruments, makes the sound a bit darker, gives a bit more punch. 180 to 250 is upper bass, can increase muddiness. The divisions are not universally agreed, and the description is very rough.
The Harmonic bandwidth is the width of the curve of this boost. I understood that a value of 80 here with a value of 60 on the previous value means that the center frequency of the boost is 60, and then the curve gets from 20 to 100 (40 in both directions).
He wrote that for a more quality over quantity boost, and specially with good equipment, lower values are better.
He suggested 60 for the first and 90 for the second. To my ears on the ATH 60 for the second is better quality boost.
The Harmonic energy is the amount of boost.
The two above and below pre-wave should not be touched. He suggested 92 for the first and 10 for the second. I consider 78 and 3 to be better to my ears at least with those other settings and for the ATH.
Have fun.

About Fidelio vs ATH and which one is more flat, you may be right or not. Only a test with dummy head would say. It may be that the ATH have a little push on the mids, or that the Fidelio are a bit v-shaped and have less mids. It may also just be that it is a matter of how this quantity is brought to the ears, and that the ATH have larger and more impactful drivers which give more presence to the mids even if without boosting them in quantity (speaking of EQ curve).
It does not matter after all :) Set them as you please :wink:

What do you mean for "eq zeroed out"?
You can anyway make presets of eq settings, one for each music (like, flat, little bass boost, more bass boost, etc). You can, as said, also save a configuration of the plugin chain and when you save it also the settings of each plugin will be saved, even if you did not save them in the presets of that plugin.
So you do not need to constantly adjust EQ settings. Nobody does that :)

The M2BT are a bit too bassy for some stuff to some people. The ATH would not be felt bassy without EQ. That's why they are first in my list. They can please more people, basshead and not.

Real bass exciter was always running, yes, at low push on normal music, bigger push on techno, extreme insane push on dubstep.
I have found anyway other VST which may be giving a better overall sound with similar or even better results on the bass (at least on Techno. For the rumbling sub-bass the Real Bass Exciter is still the best till now). I have published this info on the foobar help thread, on this and the following post. I am still experimenting.

Nothing to say for spotify and LP, but why should you LOAD things on Foobar? If they are on the Hard Disk, it's there already. If they are on CD, does not your PC/Notebook have CD player? And if you only have CD player in your HI-Fi, does that not have an EQ? Wait for the Angled HM5...
Winner is anyway always relative. Without EQ, each of the two has got its sound signature, you cannot change it, so for everybody wins what get closer to his own personal tastes.

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #1,815 of 3,643
  Hi,
I need some assistance with choosing Bluetooth headphones.
  He is mainly listening to dance, pop, and rock music.

My budget is about 160 US$.

I need the headphones to be over the ear, large and comfortable ear cups, aptx support and a long battery life.

At that price I can only recommend the house of marley liberate xlbt, the Harman Kardon BT (strange look but good sound) and the Sony MDR-10RBT.
Otherwise you should find for a little more the Sennheiser Urbanite XL wireless.
You find a description in the list in the opening post of this thread.

Other people may have other suggestions. And if he like to mod stuff, he may enjoy the Sony MDR-XB950BT. Otherwise stay away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back