Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Feb 19, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #3,602 of 3,643
Did some more comparisons with yamaha yh-l700a. Yamaha beats sure. It's overpriced at 499 and I don't like the buttons but it has good detail, good bass, is attractive and well made. The 3d effects sound like crap for music but are good for gaming.
Thanks @JoshG1217 ! Guess the 3D effects are majorly for movies and gaming or may be even for some live shows.

Yamaha is about $100 more than Shure in my place. Yamaha comes with a one year warranty and shure with 2 years. Hopefully the build quality is good for Yamaha... Any idea on the mic quality?

Just making sure I'm making the right decision before the right purchase? Yamaha worth the extra 100USD and with just one year warranty?

Feb 19, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #3,603 of 3,643
Thanks @JoshG1217 ! Guess the 3D effects are majorly for movies and gaming or may be even for some live shows.

Yamaha is about $100 more than Shure in my place. Yamaha comes with a one year warranty and shure with 2 years. Hopefully the build quality is good for Yamaha... Any idea on the mic quality?

Just making sure I'm making the right decision before the right purchase? Yamaha worth the extra 100USD and with just one year warranty?
My shure is less than a year old and the headband is falling apart. Yamaha definitely has better build quality. Mic has not been an issue with either.

Feb 20, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #3,604 of 3,643
Feb 20, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #3,606 of 3,643
for the price and quality u can't go wrong. And i tried them all.

Yeah I'd have to agree too. I tested about 15 in person and for price to performance (or really just outright performance) the Q30/35 were the best.

Feb 21, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #3,608 of 3,643
You shouldn't hear any difference between LDAC and even humble AAC. Try having somebody help you. First level match the output just to be sure, then have your assistant do with you 10 trial pairings where you hear the exact same passage of the same song, once with AAC, once with LDAC. Your friend never tells you which is which and after each pairing you identify which of the two was with LDAC and then on a scale of 1 to 5 you also select how confident you are in your choice.

It is absolutely critical that you make sure there is no difference in volume between the two codecs (unlikely but possible). If after 10 pairings you can identify LDAC from AAC 90% of the time, you have proof. If you just do sighted listening trials nothing could be more useless.

Apr 6, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #3,610 of 3,643
I did some diggin, and people say Lagoon sounds better than Momentum. I've also read the N700nc sounds better than Razer Opus, and in my own experience, with ANC off the Lagoon absolutely destroys the AKG (you can't turn it off in this one).

Is the Lagoon one of the best sounding BT headphones? That's a bit disappointing if true. It sounds fantastic, but a little less resolving than the M50 which is a mid fi closed back.

Apr 6, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #3,611 of 3,643
Both the Shure aonic 50 and the Yamaha YL700 sound better than the Lagoon. I've done extensive side by side

Apr 6, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #3,612 of 3,643
Both the Shure aonic 50 and the Yamaha YL700 sound better than the Lagoon. I've done extensive side by side
Preference versus universal opinion there. I can guarantee you that not everyone who has also done extensive comparison will agree with your conclusion. Personally, I think a 3D headphone has the potential to really screw up the sound sometimes. After all, at best Yamaha can control and optimize the design for certain recording conditions, but given how variable the mixing and recording/mastering can be, there are bound to be issues. Not everything will translate well to the 3D immersive experience.

Does the YL700 allow for the 3D processing circuit to be defeated? If so that would be great. I have no doubt that for some recordings it will probably providing an enjoyable 3D interpretation/presentation of music for some people, but this almost certainly will not be a universal outcome.

Apr 6, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #3,613 of 3,643
Preference versus universal opinion there. I can guarantee you that not everyone who has also done extensive comparison will agree with your conclusion. Personally, I think a 3D headphone has the potential to really screw up the sound sometimes. After all, at best Yamaha can control and optimize the design for certain recording conditions, but given how variable the mixing and recording/mastering can be, there are bound to be issues. Not everything will translate well to the 3D immersive experience.

Does the YL700 allow for the 3D processing circuit to be defeated? If so that would be great. I have no doubt that for some recordings it will probably providing an enjoyable 3D interpretation/presentation of music for some people, but this almost certainly will not be a universal outcome.
To be clear, I'm talking about overall resolution and not signature or the more subjective elements. The 3d elements on the yamaha work well for gaming but are terrible for music. I disable them on music. There's a button on the right cup for on and off. It is definitely different than the aonic50. I'm not sure which I would call better ad far as resolution goes. Both are good. The Shures may have the edge, but the Yamahas are more musical and the bass is very nice. Great slam. They are both good. Yamaha is definitely overpriced at $500 though.

The lagoon is still a good headphone. Side. Y aide with the xm4, thr lagoon wins. But in terms of resolution, the aonic 50 bests it.

Apr 6, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #3,614 of 3,643
To be clear, I'm talking about overall resolution and not signature or the more subjective elements. The 3d elements on the yamaha work well for gaming but are terrible for music. I disable them on music. There's a button on the right cup for on and off. It is definitely different than the aonic50. I'm not sure which I would call better ad far as resolution goes. Both are good. The Shures may have the edge, but the Yamahas are more musical and the bass is very nice. Great slam. They are both good. Yamaha is definitely overpriced at $500 though.

The lagoon is still a good headphone. Side. Y aide with the xm4, thr lagoon wins. But in terms of resolution, the aonic 50 bests it.
Thanks for the clarification. Seems that for a music only headphone with the YL700 you would be wasting money (as you alluded to) because you would be defeating most of the circuitry that you were paying for. I wonder if Yamaha has a straight-up wireless headphone with a similar tuning to the YL700? For the last two years I have not really been using wireless headphones (or headphones generally nearly as often) but I currently own and have dusted off my KEF Space One wireless which I really like and my Sony XM3. I may purchase the Shure to try it out and see, although for me good tactile bass would be a little more important than resolution.

Resolution meaning a signature where the bass response is maintained well below Harman curve so as to let the other aspects shine through more. I am at the point where I prefer some warmth (quality warmth with good bass weight/timbre) even if there is a modest de-emphasis on the upper frequencies. In my experience, many recordings are over-cooked in the low to upper treble range anyway so shining a spotlight on this frequency range doesn't improve the music for me whereas a reduction in this range does.

Does that make any sense? Anyway, I do feel the urge to try a new signature just to see. The KEF Space One wireless is very nice and seems to play nicely when I push up the bass modestly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back