HTC 11 (aka HTC U 11)
Jun 19, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #421 of 501
Nirvana,

Return of BoomSound speakers? Neither the 10 or the 11 has Classic BoomSound, only Hi-Fi BoomSound, which most (including me) feel aren't as good as Classic (M8, M9) BoomSound.

I prefer the 10 and didn't upgrade to the U11 despite some benefits that the U11 offers. My main things were not liking the bigger size and also yeah no headphone jack too. Edge Sense seems kinda cool though, plus the 835 means better battery life than 820. Also I prefer the look of the 10 vs the U11's.

Hey bro you will kill me but I think I am gona accept an offer from a friend on his S8, he can give me his pristine one for 580$, no red tint no scratches, he said VR with Gear VR is way better than any cardboard plastic headsets, and yes he has both S8 and U 11 (test unit), so I can next month get a used GearVR for just 50-70$.from France (my cousin is going there)
Well S8 + GearVR at a total of 640$ while the U 11 will be in best cases at 700$ and not before July, so price and more importantly release date killed the U 11 for me.
The grey market price didn't drop

Jun 19, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #423 of 501
Hey bro you will kill me but I think I am gona accept an offer from a friend on his S8, he can give me his pristine one for 580$, no red tint no scratches, he said VR with Gear VR is way better than any cardboard plastic headsets, and yes he has both S8 and U 11 (test unit), so I can next month get a used GearVR for just 50-70$.from France (my cousin is going there)
Well S8 + GearVR at a total of 640$ while the U 11 will be in best cases at 700$ and not before July, so price and more importantly release date killed the U 11 for me.
The grey market price didn't drop

You're right, I'm gonna kill you! lol j/k Ok well enjoy.

Did you try looking at the U.S. HTC U11s?? Or on eBay for a deal?!!

Jun 20, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #426 of 501
Nirvana,

Return of BoomSound speakers? Neither the 10 or the 11 has Classic BoomSound, only Hi-Fi BoomSound, which most (including me) feel aren't as good as Classic (M8, M9) BoomSound.

I prefer the 10 and didn't upgrade to the U11 despite some benefits that the U11 offers. My main things were not liking the bigger size and also yeah no headphone jack too. Edge Sense seems kinda cool though, plus the 835 means better battery life than 820. Also I prefer the look of the 10 vs the U11's.
Okay then.The return of two stereo speakers is what I meant.

Jun 20, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #427 of 501
Okay then.The return of two stereo speakers is what I meant.

Ok, that's Classic BoomSound. I hope with the U12 or 12 they bring that back. When I spoke to Special Projects Team (HTC), lady told me that they've had A LOT of ppl say they want Classic. I was hoping the U11 would have it but it didn't. So yeah, 12 hopefully will. And make it smaller again too. :L3000: lol

Jun 20, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #428 of 501
Ok, that's Classic BoomSound. I hope with the U12 or 12 they bring that back. When I spoke to Special Projects Team (HTC), lady told me that they've had A LOT of ppl say they want Classic. I was hoping the U11 would have it but it didn't. So yeah, 12 hopefully will. And make it smaller again too. :L3000: lol
I read somewhere that the U11 speakers get loud enough to the point of doing away the need for a Bluetooth speaker.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #429 of 501
I read somewhere that the U11 speakers get loud enough to the point of doing away the need for a Bluetooth speaker.

That is true. HTC claims that by taking out the 3.5mm headphone jack, they were able to make the BoomSound speakers LOUDER. Reviews have indicated that it sounds louder than the 10's do. So yeah maybe? lol My 10 is pretty loud already, so a louder phone I guess might be sufficient for like a small party. lol

Jun 21, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #430 of 501
Ughh ok.

Enjoy your S8. lol

Got my S8 after asking HTC official dealer again, not only it won't be out next week but even it's not sure if the U 11 will be here start of July or in the middle.
Tried rapidly the S8 with my KZ ZS3, well I am positively surprised with the volume and quality, with mp3 320k it sounds nearly as good as the 10, though with Flac treble is too high, it will definitely need some equalizing.
As for BT, I tried in my car with my HTC Stereoclip adapter and the volume is +20% louder than the HTC 10 + V4A boost!!! Really impressed.
Will try to flash aptxHD module from XDA to see if it makes a difference, I have found it did with the 10 even if the HTC Stereoclip is not aptxHD (just aptx)

Jun 21, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #431 of 501
That is true. HTC claims that by taking out the 3.5mm headphone jack, they were able to make the BoomSound speakers LOUDER. Reviews have indicated that it sounds louder than the 10's do. So yeah maybe? lol My 10 is pretty loud already, so a louder phone I guess might be sufficient for like a small party. lol

They got rid of the jack because it's less parts, and one less opening to have to seal. Because that's a lame excuse on a large phone, and other manufacturers can seal the jack, HTC had to come up with some other reason to "sell" it. Unfortunately for HTC, "courage" had already been taken.

Jun 22, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #432 of 501
They got rid of the jack because it's less parts, and one less opening to have to seal. Because that's a lame excuse on a large phone, and other manufacturers can seal the jack, HTC had to come up with some other reason to "sell" it. Unfortunately for HTC, "courage" had already been taken.

And they wanted to do like apple, they have apparently a tech geek who promised them that the bundled iem on USB will be so good that everyone will be happy and forget 3.5mm, HTC has always been influenced by limited geeks at R&D, like the 4mp ultrapixel on M7 that was not properly tested, ending with the purple tint fiasco that costed a lot to HTC.That's the problem with them, they want to make things differently than samsung and LG but end up taking huge risks for nothing. Yes 3.5mm jack will go away in the future but why now while HTC got so much love with the 10 supreme audio? Add to that there are only a couple of earphones on USB today and they cost a leg, also not all of them are compatible with HTC, why couldn't they keep 3.5mm and begin to use the USB C for the bundled iems so people begin to accept the idea that usb will in the future replace 3.5mm?

Jun 22, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #433 of 501
from my point of view, the U11 feels warmer than my plenue D playing music from spotify. I get annoyed by the USB c cable when u push it in it auto stop playing the music or u try to bend it, it will stop too.

And for loud speakeri don't think the U11 is very good as when you plan game ur pinky will block the hole and then there is no sound. It's very clear and a little louder than my blackberry passport when it's face the correct direction

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #434 of 501
I have an access to the HTC U11 and I quickly compared its sound to my HTC 10 using the USB C adapter (with the newest software) on both devices. I tested them with the Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear headphones using the default music app (Google Play Music).
Surprisingly the adapter plays louder with the HTC 10 - I thought that the amp is inside the adapter so it will play at the same level as using the HTC U11. Maybe it's just difference in the phone's software? Another surprise - when I used the 3,5 mm jack in the HTC 10 it was way quieter than the USB C output. Overall the loudness looks like this: HTC 10 USB C > HTC U11 > HTC 10 3,5 mm.
Speaking about the sound quality - it's hard to tell based on this quick test but I don't hear a significant difference if I set the sound volume to a similar level on both outputs (of course only HTC 10 tested here).
BTW this adapter works with the other USB C phones like Sony XZP and here the sound volume difference is even more noticeable, probably because Xperias always have a quieter 3,5 mm output (at least in the EU).

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #435 of 501
I have an access to the HTC U11 and I quickly compared its sound to my HTC 10 using the USB C adapter (with the newest software) on both devices. I tested them with the Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear headphones using the default music app (Google Play Music).
Surprisingly the adapter plays louder with the HTC 10 - I thought that the amp is inside the adapter so it will play at the same level as using the HTC U11. Maybe it's just difference in the phone's software? Another surprise - when I used the 3,5 mm jack in the HTC 10 it was way quieter than the USB C output. Overall the loudness looks like this: HTC 10 USB C > HTC U11 > HTC 10 3,5 mm.
Speaking about the sound quality - it's hard to tell based on this quick test but I don't hear a significant difference if I set the sound volume to a similar level on both outputs (of course only HTC 10 tested here).
BTW this adapter works with the other USB C phones like Sony XZP and here the sound volume difference is even more noticeable, probably because Xperias always have a quieter 3,5 mm output (at least in the EU).

Those are interesting results Majestic. Not sure why it would be louder on the 10 vs. U11 w/ the adapter either. But good to know you couldn't tell a difference in sound quality. At least it didn't sound WORSE than the 10! LOL

Yeah the Sony Xperia AND Walkman devices all have a max volume output of like 0.30-0.40 volts, where the HTC 10 by comparison's output voltage is 1.009! That's like more than TRIPLE the average Sony's! lol And that's how it is here too, so I think it's global, not just in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back