HTC 11 (aka HTC U 11)
Jun 9, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #392 of 501
All boomsound on the headphone jack on the 10 is a fairly poor eq that results in clipping. Not sure why you'd use it on the 10, or why you'd want it on the U11.

Also, I'm sure the 10 would have had separate DAC/amp for the headphone port vs the internal speakers, so not having a headphone port has nothing to do with why the 11 is louder. The requirements for a headphone amp are different that that of the tiny speakers in the phone.

Jun 9, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #393 of 501
All boomsound on the headphone jack on the 10 is a fairly poor eq that results in clipping. Not sure why you'd use it on the 10, or why you'd want it on the U11.

Also, I'm sure the 10 would have had separate DAC/amp for the headphone port vs the internal speakers, so not having a headphone port has nothing to do with why the 11 is louder. The requirements for a headphone amp are different that that of the tiny speakers in the phone.

I can't say I've noticed any clipping though using the 3.5mm jack on the 10 though. Instead, I feel it gives the volume a nice bump which I appreciate.

HTC claims that by removing the headphone port they were able to make the U 11's speaker louder. I don't buy it either. lol Yeah it prob does have a separate one. Just like how it has a dedicated amp for the headphones, it prob uses a dedicated one for speakers. Though I'm not 100% sure. lol

Jun 10, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #394 of 501
GSM Arena review is up
http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_u_11-review-1620p6.php

The HTC U11 did splendidly in the first part of our audio test. When hooked to an active external amplifier it delivered very loud and perfectly accurate output.

When headphones come into play the volume remains nicely high and the only reading to take a hit is stereo crosstalk. It's a moderate amount of damage there and will all the other aspects of the performance remaining excellent, it's a great showing overall.

So it's just equal to LG G6 non-Quad Dac, which is a shame coming from the HTC 10, it's not bad though.
We should ask HTC to implement Boomsound into the adapter to boost it up

Jun 10, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #395 of 501
GSM Arena review is up
http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_u_11-review-1620p6.php

The HTC U11 did splendidly in the first part of our audio test. When hooked to an active external amplifier it delivered very loud and perfectly accurate output.

When headphones come into play the volume remains nicely high and the only reading to take a hit is stereo crosstalk. It's a moderate amount of damage there and will all the other aspects of the performance remaining excellent, it's a great showing overall.

So it's just equal to LG G6 non-Quad Dac, which is a shame coming from the HTC 10, it's not bad though.
We should ask HTC to implement Boomsound into the adapter to boost it up

As good as the LG G6 non-Quad DAC? What were the average reviews on the G6 non-Quad DAC version though?

Yeah they should.

Jun 12, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #396 of 501
The more I read users reports the more it's clear, the dongle lacks 2 steps in loudness and dynamic range as well as an average stereo crosstalk.
Some people are already buying Fiio K1 and other external DAC :frowning2:
I will repeat it as much as I can: the only solution for HTC to save this dongle is to implement Boomsound

Jun 12, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #397 of 501
The more I read users reports the more it's clear, the dongle lacks 2 steps in loudness and dynamic range as well as an average stereo crosstalk.
Some people are already buying Fiio K1 and other external DAC :frowning2:
I will repeat it as much as I can: the only solution for HTC to save this dongle is to implement Boomsound

Those sound like hardware issues, not software issues. Implementing an EQ curve on a so-so dac/amp won't help the performance of the dac/amp.

Jun 14, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #398 of 501
I think I would tend to agree with oryan_dunn in the sense of I prefer running without any EQ, without muddying the waters, so to speak.

Those sound like hardware issues, not software issues. Implementing an EQ curve on a so-so dac/amp won't help the performance of the dac/amp.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #399 of 501

I agree for the stereo crosstalk but for a better dynamic range Boomsound + Dolby like on the 10 can make a difference.
About the crosstalk it's as good as the Cowon J3 given the stats, I tried my good old J3 yesterday with Stereo Enhance to the max, well it's not as bad as I thought, not the same super wide sound-stage of the 10, but already nice, the J3 was very popular in the Head-Fi world some years ago. Hopefully I will have my U11 next week unless HTC raises the price, it will be a 128gb version + my SD of 64gb, so much room for multimedia!

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #403 of 501
Techradar is the first from the popular tech websites to say the adapter is pretty good http://www.techradar.com/reviews/htc-u11-review/4

While it’s annoying that HTC has dropped the headphone jack on the U11 (we’re still not in a place where forcing this decision on consumers is a good idea – and it’s not like this phone is massively thin) the bundled adaptor is excellent.
It’s not only more robust than the one Apple offers, but it’s also got a digital amplifier inside, so whichever headphones you plug in they’re going to sound better. It does draw power, but not a lot, and it really improves the sound quality.

Jun 15, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #404 of 501
Techradar is the first from the popular tech websites to say the adapter is pretty good http://www.techradar.com/reviews/htc-u11-review/4

While it’s annoying that HTC has dropped the headphone jack on the U11 (we’re still not in a place where forcing this decision on consumers is a good idea – and it’s not like this phone is massively thin) the bundled adaptor is excellent.
It’s not only more robust than the one Apple offers, but it’s also got a digital amplifier inside, so whichever headphones you plug in they’re going to sound better. It does draw power, but not a lot, and it really improves the sound quality.

Nice! Thanks for sharing veg!

I'd love to read more that compare it to the 10's too!!!!!!

Jun 16, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #405 of 501
Bad news for me!
The U 11 is being postponed in my country till July :frowning2:
Only the grey market one is available and it's super expensive, while the S8 price is being more and more tempting.
I could end up getting the S8 finally, the thing is that the 10's price will most probably drop these 2 weeks from 460 to 400$ and I don't want to end up losing money in reselling mine.
I will wait till next week to see how the price of the U 11 grey market will drop or not, or else I am nearly convinced to get the S8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back