HTC 11 (aka HTC U 11)
Jun 4, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #361 of 501
I think you should wait until it's released and then read a few more reviews on the audio before deciding Veg.

The V20 is a great choice too, as is the 10 of course! The V30 will get released in the Fall. Up to you if you want to wait.

I love my 10, sound quality never sounded that good, but I want a slightly bigger screen too to make my VR experience better, I am using a Fiit VR headset and while the 10 is not bad its screen lacks a cm in width and height to fully cover the VR scenes. I am not even sure that the added 0.3'' will suffice, but I remember the G4 5.5'' was perfect (but the worst audio experience ever).
The V20 has all I want but it's the same CPU/GPU as the HTC 10 and will be replaced apparently in October. I will ask tomorrow if the LG G6 in Lebanon is coming as Korean version or not.
Yes I will wait for more reviews about the HTC U 11, me and HTC it's an old love story so of course if the adapter is (nearly) as loud as the 10 with the same dynamic range to fully drive my KZ earphones than ok. Anyway it will take a good month before we see it here, HTC is postponing the release everywhere and HTC in my country is trying to get rid of the unsold Ultra U before bringing anything

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #362 of 501
I love my 10, sound quality never sounded that good, but I want a slightly bigger screen too to make my VR experience better, I am using a Fiit VR headset and while the 10 is not bad its screen lacks a cm in width and height to fully cover the VR scenes. I am not even sure that the added 0.3'' will suffice, but I remember the G4 5.5'' was perfect (but the worst audio experience ever).
The V20 has all I want but it's the same CPU/GPU as the HTC 10 and will be replaced apparently in October. I will ask tomorrow if the LG G6 in Lebanon is coming as Korean version or not.
Yes I will wait for more reviews about the HTC U 11, me and HTC it's an old love story so of course if the adapter is (nearly) as loud as the 10 with the same dynamic range to fully drive my KZ earphones than ok. Anyway it will take a good month before we see it here, HTC is postponing the release everywhere and HTC in my country is trying to get rid of the unsold Ultra U before bringing anything

Ok. So you like phablets. Then yeah, V20 or V30 would work for you. lol

Yeah make sure on the G6! DO NOT get the U.S. version. lol

Well here's another brand new review. The audio (once again) of the DAC is only mentioned briefly, but it IS positive. They say:

IF YOU WANT TO USE YOUR OWN PAIR OF HEADPHONES, THOUGH, YOU’LL HAVE TO POP IN A DONGLE. THAT’S BECAUSE HTC CONTINUES TO OMIT THE TRADITIONAL HEADPHONE JACK. THE UPSIDE IS THAT IT DOES PUT A DONGLE IN THE BOX, AND THE DAC (DIGITAL-TO-ANALOG AUDIO CONVERTER) IN IT IS VERY SOLID — WITH A GOOD PAIR OF HEADPHONES, YOU’LL GET MORE DETAIL HERE THAN YOU WOULD PLUGGING INTO MOST PHONES NORMALLY.

Jun 4, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #363 of 501
Ok. So you like phablets. Then yeah, V20 or V30 would work for you. lol

Yeah make sure on the G6! DO NOT get the U.S. version. lol

Well here's another brand new review. The audio (once again) of the DAC is only mentioned briefly, but it IS positive. They say:

IF YOU WANT TO USE YOUR OWN PAIR OF HEADPHONES, THOUGH, YOU’LL HAVE TO POP IN A DONGLE. THAT’S BECAUSE HTC CONTINUES TO OMIT THE TRADITIONAL HEADPHONE JACK. THE UPSIDE IS THAT IT DOES PUT A DONGLE IN THE BOX, AND THE DAC (DIGITAL-TO-ANALOG AUDIO CONVERTER) IN IT IS VERY SOLID — WITH A GOOD PAIR OF HEADPHONES, YOU’LL GET MORE DETAIL HERE THAN YOU WOULD PLUGGING INTO MOST PHONES NORMALLY.

I don't mind if the U11 is not exactly like the 10, but I would like it to be closer to the 10 than let's say S8, so it looks like it will be something like M8 or M9 sound quality which is not bad at all.
Let's see what gsmarena will say as well as Unbox Therapy who is more audiophile than most reviewers.
The V20 price is really a great plus, it's in the 540$ while the S8 is 700ish$, the U 11 64gb is expected to be 650$ here, though an HTC or a samsung is much more easy to resale later, so yes you save a 100$ now but you will loose them later :wink:

Jun 5, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #364 of 501
I passed by samsung today to try my own earphones, well the S8 can drive the KZ ZS3 with loud out of the box volume, no V4A or mods, but you feel you don't have the clarity and dynamic range of the HTC 10, let's say it's like the HTC 10 but with Boomsound off.
Perhaps V4A for a small punch in db + clarity + bass can enhance the sound, so the S8 is not to be completely eliminated from the list :) Though price is still too high!
Will check the G6 tonight to see if it has QuadDAC, it's the H807S version.
Still no idea if the DAC in the HTC dongle is Hi-Res or not!
I am this kind of guy who like to have a plan A and B and C before time

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #365 of 501
I passed by samsung today to try my own earphones, well the S8 can drive the KZ ZS3 with loud out of the box volume, no V4A or mods, but you feel you don't have the clarity and dynamic range of the HTC 10, let's say it's like the HTC 10 but with Boomsound off.
Perhaps V4A for a small punch in db + clarity + bass can enhance the sound, so the S8 is not to be completely eliminated from the list :) Though price is still too high!
Will check the G6 tonight to see if it has QuadDAC, it's the H807S version.
Still no idea if the DAC in the HTC dongle is Hi-Res or not!
I am this kind of guy who like to have a plan A and B and C before time

Nothin' wrong with THAT veg!

Yeah we're still finding out. The U 11 doesn't even get released 'til Friday! lol Just keep checkin' reviews. I'm feeling like it does have the same quality as the 10, but it's just hard for me to believe that the $11.99 adapter on their site is the SAME one that comes with the U 11. How could it be THAT cheap and still sound good?

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #367 of 501
If phones keep going the no 3.5mm route, there will be plenty of 3rd party USB-C to 3.5mm dongles, and you'll likely be able to spend as much as you want on one. That's the one nice thing about using a DAC/AMP dongle, the phone doesn't matter anymore and you can get the audio experience you want. At some point, there will be good 3rd party that have a pass-through USB-C for charging while also having the 3.5mm port. But no matter, it will still suck to have to carry a dongle around with you. I'll be sticking with my 10, and I personally won't get a new phone that doesn't have a headphone jack until there are no good options left.

Edit: looks like someone already has one that has a pass-through
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0714DYLW4/

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #368 of 501
If phones keep going the no 3.5mm route, there will be plenty of 3rd party USB-C to 3.5mm dongles, and you'll likely be able to spend as much as you want on one. That's the one nice thing about using a DAC/AMP dongle, the phone doesn't matter anymore and you can get the audio experience you want. At some point, there will be good 3rd party that have a pass-through USB-C for charging while also having the 3.5mm port. But no matter, it will still suck to have to carry a dongle around with you. I'll be sticking with my 10, and I personally won't get a new phone that doesn't have a headphone jack until there are no good options left.

Edit: looks like someone already has one that has a pass-through
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0714DYLW4/

You need a popular brand to go the USB C way, HTC is not a popular brand or let's say not popular enough for companies to start making compatible dongles, the day Samsung will go the USB C route then yes.
Just got a message from LG here and they pretend they have the G6 Korean with QuandDac!! So plan B is ready :wink:
Now let's wait and see incoming reviews and end users (preferably audiophiles) opinions about U 11 dongle

Jun 5, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #369 of 501
I expect at some point the DragonFly DAC will have just a short little USB-C lead on it. Same with all the other small-ish USB DAC/Amps currently out there. Granted, it'll be bigger than the HTC/Moto/Apple dongles, but for people who think there's a difference, the options will be there.

Something similar to this https://hifimediy.com/Sabre-9018-Type-C-DAC (but in a box that big, there is no reason to not have a female USB-C port for data/charging...)

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #370 of 501
You need a popular brand to go the USB C way, HTC is not a popular brand or let's say not popular enough for companies to start making compatible dongles, the day Samsung will go the USB C route then yes.
Just got a message from LG here and they pretend they have the G6 Korean with QuandDac!! So plan B is ready :wink:
Now let's wait and see incoming reviews and end users (preferably audiophiles) opinions about U 11 dongle

Pretend?? Did you mean they confirmed it? lol

Yeah let's wait. What country are you in again?

Jun 5, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #371 of 501
I expect at some point the DragonFly DAC will have just a short little USB-C lead on it. Same with all the other small-ish USB DAC/Amps currently out there. Granted, it'll be bigger than the HTC/Moto/Apple dongles, but for people who think there's a difference, the options will be there.

Something similar to this https://hifimediy.com/Sabre-9018-Type-C-DAC (but in a box that big, there is no reason to not have a female USB-C port for data/charging...)

Yeah they need to make a version of DragonFly for MOBILE so NO USB connector........ replace that crap with a USB-C connector instead. Or just make a mobile version in addition to current one.

Jun 5, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #372 of 501
Wait! Ok, I am confused. If you are outputting signal from the phone USB port I was under the impression that it is a digital signal, just like a USB port on a computer, and you have to have some kind of DAC whether it is a dongle or regular DAC. I have used my Fiio E18 Kunlan from the phones USB port for example. I thought I read someone say there are analog signals that can come out of the USB port? Is that correct or is it digital only?

Jun 5, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #373 of 501
Wait! Ok, I am confused. If you are outputting signal from the phone USB port I was under the impression that it is a digital signal, just like a USB port on a computer, and you have to have some kind of DAC whether it is a dongle or regular DAC. I have used my Fiio E18 Kunlan from the phones USB port for example. I thought I read someone say there are analog signals that can come out of the USB port? Is that correct or is it digital only?

We don't know yet. I'm guessing the U 11 DOESN'T have "Analog over USB" though since they included the dongle and put the DAC/amp in THERE. The HOPE was that the U 11 would have the killer DAC/amp INSIDE of it like the 10 does, but now apparently they put that in the dongle.

Well if you're connecting an amp/DAC or DAP to it, then it having "Analog over USB" is meaningless b/c those devices will only "work their magic" if they're fed or given a DIGITAL signal. Unless you have MicroUSB-C earphones/headphones, you really can't avoid using a dongle anyway I guess. So I guess with no 3.5mm port it really doesn't matter where the DAC/amp is located anymore.

Jun 6, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #374 of 501
well you can't say that about the headphone jack now, looking at that dongle, it is no larger than the iphone 7 adapter so no way does it have any decent dac, if anything it's just the qualcomm aqstic dac like I suspected (and is very probable) from the htc 10. and it's just using usb c over analog. When people said "it sounds good", well yeah, any modern smartphone "sounds good" out of the jack assuming you're using a headphone that "sounds good" to begin with. The whole "high quality dac" thing is way overexaggerated, really the main benefits of a better quality dac in smartphones is to remove the hiss and better implementation to remove unwanted interference noise

Jun 6, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #375 of 501
I can certainly confirm that using a decent external DAC like the Opus #11 gives incredible sound on my V20 compared to the internal DAC on the device.
This is particularly the case when greater power is needed on Hifiman Planar 400i phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back