How to shorten the cable of Denon D2000?
Oct 6, 2010 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Schoenberg

100+ Head-Fier
I just got Denon D2000.
I love it but the cable is too long and heavy.

What shall I do with it?
What plug shall I buy and how shall I do with it?

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 15

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 15
The best solution for me was to just recable it. But if you just want to shorten it, then it's very easy. They are color coded. Yellow and black is left positve and left negative. Red and black is right positve and right negative. Both of the black goes together for the sleeve on the connector yellow goes to tip and red goes to the ring(do a google search if you don't know what tip, ring, and sleeve are). As far as connectors, I recommend neutrik. They are reasonable priced and are pretty good quality connectors.

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #5 of 15
Do you guys have recommendations on any good cables to re-cable the d2000 with. Hopefully a cable that won't break the bank
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #9 of 15
Will the mogami and vampire be an upgrade in sound compared to the stock d2000 cable. I was reading a lot of posts here on headfi; and many users upgraded to the APS cable or silver dragon by moonaudio. Those cables will go for $200-$250. So will the mogami and vampire be able to upgrade the sound of the d2000 compared to those more expensive cables? Because I'm not willing to pay $200 for a new cable.

Oct 11, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #14 of 15
depends on your definition of upgrade. For me the biggest problem over the stock cable was microphobics and how flimsy it was. It was always tangled and it was frustrating trying to untangle it every time I put them on. As far as sound goes, it does reduce the level of sibilance a little and made the bass just a little tighter. So there is a small improvement in sound, but not a lot. IMO no cable upgrade will transform your headphones into something different. So if you're looking for a big improvement in the sound department, then no. But if you looking for and improvements in ergonomics and functionality, then yes.

Oct 12, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
depends on your definition of upgrade. For me the biggest problem over the stock cable was microphobics and how flimsy it was. It was always tangled and it was frustrating trying to untangle it every time I put them on. As far as sound goes, it does reduce the level of sibilance a little and made the bass just a little tighter. So there is a small improvement in sound, but not a lot. IMO no cable upgrade will transform your headphones into something different. So if you're looking for a big improvement in the sound department, then no. But if you looking for and improvements in ergonomics and functionality, then yes.

I was hoping that upgrading to the mogami cable would be a noticeable sonic improvement. I've read many threads, and many head-fiers believe that the biggest difference between the D2000 and D5000 is the cable and wood cups. I would think that the cable upgrade itself would bring me closer to the level of the D5000. I'm not sure if the wood cups would improve the sound, it feels like its more for looks. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back