How to make PX100s into high end headphones! (pics inside)
Nov 2, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #31 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by afbug
Tried your mod at last.
tongue.gif
One word: AWESOME! Felt like i've just bought a new pair of headphones.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...943640x480.jpg

Glad you like it!
smily_headphones1.gif

That's exactly what mine look like now too. I put the black pads back on the Grados and a yellow pair on the PX100. And on the inside a cheap pair of thin stock walkman pads to avoid dirt coming in.

Nov 3, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #33 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by luuk
damn, still no cashorder from senn for the padds for my alessandro's.
Nice link you have there lisa, could you pm me how to do that?
thanks,
Luuk

Check you PM box if you haven't already.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #35 of 133
Nice looking job! I just recently took advantage of VR6ofpain's hard work when i purchased his modded Portapro's you spoke of. He did a great job on them! What did you use to dye the Senn. pads? I like 'em black.

Nov 3, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #36 of 133
Thanks Lisa, I think this mod applies also to the Portapro and Portapro2, since they sound reasonably similar to PX100 (and the pads should fit?). Gonna have to try this with my Portapro2! I just hope Sennheiser still has the right pads in stock
biggrin.gif

Hopefully like Steve, I can find a way to keep a smooth, darker sound while getting rid of some of that excessive bass. Otherwise, I love the headphones... the bass is just too excessive though with a lot of music.

Nov 3, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #37 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Nice looking job! I just recently took advantage of VR6ofpain's hard work when i purchased his modded Portapro's you spoke of. He did a great job on them! What did you use to dye the Senn. pads? I like 'em black.

I used dye for clothes, brand name I believe is Dylon.
On your own risk though. Mine turned out nicely black, (Ok, a tad bit brownish black if you're a nitpicker), but I heard from someone else that his turned out grey(dough
wink.gif
)/greenish. His water might have been too cold.
I (read: my mom
redface.gif
) did it succesful 4 times so if you get the right dye it should work. 3 times washing machine, 1 time with hot water by hand but I don't know if the water was actually boiling. So I still have to figure out if the foam can stand boiling water. I still have some holes lying around here to throw in boiling water but I'm to lazy to boil water ATM.
tongue.gif

-edit-
I used these tins
Mpd-tins.jpg
multi purpose dye
http://www.dylon.co.uk/colourcentre/index.htm

Nov 3, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #38 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Thanks Lisa, I think this mod applies also to the Portapro and Portapro2, since they sound reasonably similar to PX100 (and the pads should fit?). Gonna have to try this with my Portapro2! I just hope Sennheiser still has the right pads in stock
biggrin.gif

I think senn is opening a new factory just for the 414 pads because they can't keep up with the demand from us headfiers who think it's the solution to everything.
Snake oil, eat your heart out!
biggrin.gif

I've never seen the PPs IRL. I'd take a look at the links VR6ofpain posted earlier in this thread on his PPs senn pad mods.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #39 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Thanks Lisa, I think this mod applies also to the Portapro and Portapro2, since they sound reasonably similar to PX100 (and the pads should fit?). Gonna have to try this with my Portapro2!

Did you even read this whole thread? I did this with my portaPro's several weeks back, which caused Lisa to try it with her px100's. You should read entire threads before posting!

:p

for your reference, here is the first post to this thread:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...08&postcount=1

I think that PX100 with the yellow pads marks the end of the HD-414. I mean it looks like a futurist version of that old can, and I can only assume it sounds better...plus you can fold it up!

Nov 3, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #41 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Absorbine_Sr
One more person here who is digging the modded PX100's. But c'mon folks, leave them pads yellow! Let your freak flag fly...

Wow, just realized how damn old I am after saying that... urgghhh.

Anyway, thanks for the mod idea Lisa (via VR6ofpain)!

A_Sr.

That's Great! At least 4 people are walking around with PX100s with yellow senn pads now. We need a PX100 yellow pad smiley now.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #42 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Glad you like it!
smily_headphones1.gif

That's exactly what mine look like now too. I put the black pads back on the Grados and a yellow pair on the PX100. And on the inside a cheap pair of thin stock walkman pads to avoid dirt coming in.

Oh yes i love it!
tongue.gif
I think it sounds better than a hd497. BTW, what is 'cheap pair of thin stock walkman pads'?

Nov 3, 2005 at 8:51 AM Post #43 of 133
Quote:

Oh yes i love it!
tongue.gif
I think it sounds better than a hd497. BTW, what is 'cheap pair of thin stock walkman pads'?

You know stock walkman headphones?
av0048phones.gif
You can buy replacement pads for them. They are smaller and thinner (the ones I bought) than the PX100 pads and need a lot of streching to fit the PX100. But because they are thinner there is still some room left in the "space" (see pic in opening posts) for the senn pads.
That's what a "cheap pair of thin stock walkman pads" is. Should have put "headphones" in between the words "walkman" en "pads", shouldn't I?

Nov 3, 2005 at 9:07 AM Post #44 of 133
Ahh....yes i get it.
tongue.gif
I guess any cheap generic pads will do.

I have a MS1 on the way. Is the mod for Grados the same as this? I hope they sound better than the px100.

Nov 3, 2005 at 9:16 AM Post #45 of 133
Quote:

Ahh....yes i get it.
tongue.gif
I guess any cheap generic pads will do.

Maybe the Px100 pads will do too, I didn't try it because I had a thinner pads, but you can always try and see if you can get it to fit.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I have a MS1 on the way. Is the mod for Grados the same as this? I hope they sound better than the px100.

Yep, only you don't have to reverse the pads.
If it sounds better...MS-1s vs. PX100s without mod, the MS-1s are clearly better, but after the mod, I dunno, becasue the mod is such a big improvement. But I still think MS-1s is a good upgrade though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back