How to make PX100s into high end headphones! (pics inside)
Oct 12, 2005 at 11:34 AM Post #16 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
If anyone is wondering it's about dyeing the pads in another color than black and how to get them that color when you're mixing with yellow.

Which will be crucial for sound quality
confused.gif

Oct 12, 2005 at 1:59 PM Post #17 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by afbug
Wobbling? apple earplugs are better?!
eek.gif
Or you meant that the mod don't suit you?

I found the earpeice a bit too small. The 200 were leather and didn't feel right. The mod? whats that? how do i describe it hmmm. I don't know headphone part names. Oh well let me describe it in laymens terms. THere is the earpeice and that is connected to a headrest. This connection moves all around about 180degrees. I didn't like it moving all the time. I don't like to feel it move when i turn my head. That was the most uncomfortable part. And when you are sweaty and sittin on a leather couch is a nono. same goes here. Why would anyone take this as a transportable.

Oct 12, 2005 at 2:29 PM Post #18 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluejaydata
The mod? whats that?

Mod is short for modification. I modified my headphones by putting other pads on them. That's what I described in my opening post.

From what I understand from your post is that you tried the PX100 headphones and didn't like them much. You never tried to put other pads on them like I did because you not liking them was before I posted this thread. Am I right?

BTW (I'm addressing everyone again),
I'm really starting to wonder about the sound of the newer PX100. When you read thing like "KSC75 sounded like headphones again. The PX100s didn't because they are sooo bright." I seriously doubt if they put the right driver in them. MY PX100s are bassier than my KSC75. And the KSC75 are A LOT brighter. Not just a bit but really A LOT brighter. Night and day!

Oct 12, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #19 of 133
Quote:

BTW (I'm addressing everyone again),
I'm really starting to wonder about the sound of the newer PX100. When you read thing like "KSC75 sounded like headphones again. The PX100s didn't because they are sooo bright." I seriously doubt if they put the right driver in them. MY PX100s are bassier than my KSC75. And the KSC75 are A LOT brighter. Not just a bit but really A LOT brighter. Night and day!

I'm one of the people who said more or less the same thing, but I don't think it's because they're naturally more bright. Rather, the bass roll-off from my X5 just makes them seem bright (actually more like tinny or shrill). With some songs it's kind of amazing how obvious the roll-off is, when some of the lower notes in a bass line just dissapear completely.

Oct 13, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #20 of 133
Nice mod Lisa.

not sure why but it alsmost always seems like headphone manufacturers take a live, sparkling driver and for some reason... drape foam and plastic over the driver and muffle the sound.

IMHO a direct unobstructed path between the eardrum and driver is the ideal scenario. You could further your mod and dremel / drill holes in the plastic grille to increase the unobstructed path between driver and eardrum.

Some examples of mine...

K240s.

KSC75.
401268_364_full.jpg

Oct 13, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #21 of 133
Lisa, as you note, un-modded PX100s are bassy and dark. Though they are indeed smooth. That is to say, unmodded, they are smooth and DARK. The below-linked post should make the point clear:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ark#post247630

wink.gif

So, Lisa, I gave your mod a try! It is an immense improvement in the sound quality. I used your technique (reversed Senn pads) first. Much to my surprise, the PX100 drivers get aggressive FAST as they are pulled away from the ears! For my taste, your mod gave me just a bit too much highs and not quite enough bass, and a very forward but smooth midrange. So, I continued the experiment with radio shack pads, with Grado comfy pads, with non-reversed Senn pads with a hole cut in them, and finally with just non-modded Senn HD414 pads.

I did a lot of experimentation (a few hours) and comparing with my better headphones. My final favorite mod was with the un-modded Senn HD414 pads, just slipping them on the PX100s. With your mod (reversed modded Senn pads), the tonal balance was starting to get into Sony V6 territory. Great sound, but definitely on the aggressive side. Did I mention that these drivers get aggressive FAST when pulled away from the ear?

For my taste, with the un-modded Senn HD414 pads, the PX100s compared well with my Grado SR60s. The PX100 drivers were being pulled away from the ear just enough for my taste (as compared to the very thin PX100 stock pads). The un-modded HD414 pad PX100 mids were more forward and perhaps smoother than the Grados, the bass was definitely more pronounced in the modded PX100s than in the SR60s, and the highs were in some ways more balanced than the elevated highs of the SR60s, but there was some shrillness or peakiness in the highs of the PX100s (with stock Senn HD414 pads, that is) that is not present in the Grados (this was the biggest weakness of the modded PX100s). The tonal balance and midrange of the PX100s with the unmodded Senn HD414 pads was rich and smooth, with rock solid bass and very forward mids. To my ears, they are holding their own with the SR60s all the way. And keep in mind I am a very big fan of the SR60s.

The general lesson here, I think, is that upside of trying different pads on the PX100s is just enormous! Each person's sweet spot is going to be a little different, as to how far they want the drivers away from the ears (as the drivers are set back further from the ears by the pads, you get more highs, less bass, and a more forward midrange), but the experimentation is cheap and is going to get you some extremely nice sound from these little guys. For my taste, it is in the same vein and quality as the Grado sound (though I won't be selling off my treasured SR60s anytime soon!). And the comfort and build quality are just wonderful with the lightweight but well-thought-out construction of the PX100s.

THIS IS A MAJOR MOD. At the very least, I think I have a new favorite pair of knock-around headphones.

Thanks for the idea!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Of course they don't fit in their carrying case anymore and are a bit less low key. But you can always swap the pads back if and when you need the extra portability. So if you have a pair of Senn pads lying around and you've always been a bit bothered by the overpowering bass and treble roll off or you are just curious, give this mod a try.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2005 at 12:55 PM Post #23 of 133
Kramer,

There already are a lot of holes in the plastic, just look at the first pic. I wouldn't know where to drill extras.

Steve,

I remember that post. It's a classic. Read it when I just came here to read up on the PX100s.

Glad you got some good result with pad swapping too.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have some unmodded senn pads lying around here too so I will try those too. But I like my smooth upfront midrange a lot so but we'll see.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...44&postcount=6
I think he's talking about the PX100s. I find these reports I've been reading lately about them having no bass weird to say the least. I wonder if they accidently made a batch with the wrong drivers in them or, well, I don't want to acuse sennheiser of bad things so I will keep that thought to myself.

Oct 13, 2005 at 1:14 PM Post #24 of 133
What a coincidence. I had been thinking about putting 414 pads on my PX100 and so ordered a pair from Sennheiser last night. I'll keep them yellow for sentimental reasons. Looking forward to hearing the difference in sound.

Oct 14, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #25 of 133
just tried this using Grado bowls. they don't really fit well as is, They are too loose and the cables coming from the drivers are in the way but could probably be made to fit if something was wrapped around the circumference of the earcups, making them a bit larger. The sound however is very good. Sparkly highs, tighter bass and a real midrange. Better soundstage too. Strongly recommended, and finally a use for bowl pads
icon10.gif

Oct 15, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #26 of 133
I've done a lot more experimenting and listening, and I think I've got my PX100s about as good as they're going to get for my taste. It's a massive improvement from the stock PX100s. I'm still using the Senn HD414 unmodded pads, but I put an extra layer of HD414 padding (that I had cut out from another pair of pads to make holes) underneath the HD414 pads (between the unmodded HD414 pads and the drivers). This smoothed out the mid-bass hump (by getting the drivers a little further from the ears) and took some of the edge off of the upper mids / highs (by adding some more padding between the drivers and my ears). What I am getting now is what I would describe as a very clean, crisp, forward, dry, punchy sound, with a ton of midrange clarity and some very zingy mid-bass. Very very enjoyable. The PX100 light weight, comfort, build quality and form factor really add to the experience too. Thanks once again for the idea.
cool.gif

Using the SR60s (with stock comfy pads) as a frame of reference (which I have been doing in my experimentation), my modded PX100s have more mid-bass, and a more forward midrange, more clarity, less brightness and a slightly richer sound, and less mid-to-upper treble (but still a lot of it!), while the Grados have more bass extension, a little less upper midrange sibilance, and a little more mid-range naturalness and sweetness or atmosphere or whatever you want to call it. Maybe I am just used to the Grados, but they seem to have a little extra magic, while the modded PX100s sound more clear and groove a little harder. The PX100s are certainly more convenient and easier and more comfortable to wear.

Time to order some new Senn HD414 pads!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Steve,

Glad you got some good result with pad swapping too.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have some unmodded senn pads lying around here too so I will try those too. But I like my smooth upfront midrange a lot so but we'll see.

Nov 2, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #30 of 133
The px 200 pads are replaceable. I bought a set to try on my px100's, hoping that pulling the drivers away from the ears would sound better. Nope. but the senn414 pads, unmodded are just the ticket. What kind of dye does one use, if I want to make them black?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back