How to make PX100s into high end headphones! (pics inside)
Oct 11, 2005 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 133

Lisa

Headphoneus Supremus
If you're a boomy the-more-the-better basshead just hit the back button, this is not for you. If you like a smooth midrange, tight bass and a bit of sparkle in your treble then come on in!
smily_headphones1.gif

And if you really thought I found a way to make the PX100 a high end can you really are a bit too gullible.
tongue.gif

I got this idea from VR6ofpain who modded his Porta Pros and the fact that my RS-1s are far away from me for repair and the HF-1s are on their way. So I've got a shortage on Grados and a bunch of modded Senn pads lying around doing nothing.
VR6ofpain modded his PPs with Senn pads and I though I'd give it a try with PX100s. Thinking to myself that if reversed Senn HD414 pads give Grados more treble and less bass than flat pads, it will do the same for PX100s. And I was right.

It took me a while to find and install my ancient webcam on my new PC but I managed to do so and take some pics. I know they suck, but it's better to have sucky pictures than no pictures al all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also please note that the holes and pads in the pictures might not look perfectly round, but they are IRL. I'm afraid the webcam distorts the picture a bit.

First we remove the current pads:
pads_off.jpg

Here you see the space that will hold the reversed Senn pads:
space.jpg

Just so you know what a dyed Senn HD414 pad with a hole cut into it looks like.
tongue.gif

I've cut the hole around a coin that has a diameter of 29mm. This seems to be a nice fit. (Yes the HF-1s took priority over a new carpet.
biggrin.gif
)
modded_pad.jpg

Put the pads on and the inside will look like this:
inside.jpg

As you can see there is more space between the driver and your ear using these pads like this. This will result in another sound that I will go into later.
In this picture the driver isn't protected. I also tried this mod covering the driver with a replacement stock walkman pad that is thinner than the PX100 pad. That way there was room for both pads in the space shown in picture #2. The sound didn't differ much between the open driver and covered up with foam driver. Although I must say I didn't listen very long to the latter.

A picture of the other side:
outside.jpg

And another taken from the side:
side.jpg

Now onto the sound

The bass
The PX100s a rather dark headphones. The bass is boomy and overpowers the mids and highs. And even if it didn't the highs would still be a bit rolled off. (At least this is the case for my pair. As there has been some controversy on the sound sig. of the PX100 lately.)
With this mod the bass tightens up quite a lot! But it's still there. Just not as boomy and overpowering as before.

The midrange
There is something really beautiful hidden away from us by that boomy bass and that is a very nice and smooth midrange. It's upfront now. Maybe a bit too upfront from some, but oh so nice and smooth. The midrange is where the music is and the music is smooth and silky. Where Grados can be a bit grainy, here there is not a single grain to detect. I like to hear people sing when there are vocals in the song and now they really sing!

The treble
You'd think you'd get biting treble placing the drivers so much further away from your ears. You'd think you'd get a tinny sound. That is not the case at all. The treble is also very smooth. But it has gained that little sparkle that makes the music just that bit more fun. I'd say that this a treble we all can like. Still a bit rolled off but not too dark with just that little extra sparkle to it.

Overall with this mod the PX100s have transformed from bass heavy dark headphones to headphones with a tight bass, very smooth and upfront midrange and a silky treble with a little bit of sparkle that was sorely missing before. It's still a very relaxing sound. I wouldn't call it neutral but it is more even over the whole frequency response.

Of course they don't fit in their carrying case anymore and are a bit less low key. But you can always swap the pads back if and when you need the extra portability. So if you have a pair of Senn pads lying around and you've always been a bit bothered by the overpowering bass and treble roll off or you are just curious, give this mod a try.
smily_headphones1.gif

[size=xx-small]Small disclaimer.
This mod was done to the older version of the PX100. They were darker with rolled of highs. The current day PX100 is supposed to be brighter. I have no idea how this mod will affect the newer PX100s.

Small disclaimer #2
Others who've tried this mod with the new version PX100 have reported to like it too. Please read the thread for what they have to say about it.
[/size]

Oct 11, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 133
Thanks Lisa, I'll have to try this. i was planning to order pads and some other stuff from Senn, this will give me a bit more incentive to do so sooner. Like today!
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
The Senns look great Lisa. Did you try unmodded pads at all? Just wonder whether the treble quality is very different listening through the pads rather than cut holes in them.

Ian

I have owned these since Jan. or Feb. '03. And used them a lot the first 6 months but although I think they are good for what you pay I could never really like them. I've always used them unmodded.
Tried some (small) pads with holes in them at one point but that wasn't a big succes. Nothing I would recommend. I prefered the unmodded pads by a large margin.

I only thought of this mod a few days ago. And this time I was very pleasantly surprised.
smily_headphones1.gif

This certainly is a sound I can get used too.

Oct 11, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 133
anyone wanna swap my bright px100's for some dark ones?
280smile.gif

Oct 11, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatality_
anyone wanna swap my bright px100's for some dark ones?
280smile.gif

I can get some white PX100s for fairly cheap. So I was thinking of getting them (if I can find some spare cash that is.) and putting the yellow pads on them like this without dyeing them to get the old HD414 look going.
biggrin.gif

But if the new ones really are bright then I guess it's a no go.
frown.gif

Oct 11, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #9 of 133
Thanks, looks interesting. But I'm too lazy to try it, so I'll content myself with the pictures.
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #12 of 133
I couldn't stand this headphone it keeps wobbling all the time. It won't stay still. Took me at least 5 min to get it perfect. The sound was okay. I thought my original apple earplugs were better.

Oct 12, 2005 at 10:54 AM Post #14 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Thats awesome, I did this recently [as mentioned above] with my portaPro's...no dye though.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=139588

and right before that:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...5&postcount=49

Thanks again for the idea!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
What about bleach?

I'm copying this from the other thread because I don't think people are going to be happy if we start having a discussion in an ancient bumped for sale thread.
biggrin.gif

If anyone is wondering it's about dyeing the pads in another color than black and how to get them that color when you're mixing with yellow.

Bleach?
I have no clue what bleach will do to foam. But you're welcome to try
tongue.gif

Absorbine_Sr,
Let me know how you like it.
smily_headphones1.gif

bluejaydata
Are you talking about the mod. Did that keep wobbling?

Oct 12, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #15 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluejaydata
I couldn't stand this headphone it keeps wobbling all the time. It won't stay still. Took me at least 5 min to get it perfect. The sound was okay. I thought my original apple earplugs were better.

Wobbling? apple earplugs are better?!
eek.gif
Or you meant that the mod don't suit you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back