How to make an interconnect Step by Step With Pics
Jul 1, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #559 of 1,012
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question.

I plan on making an RCA interconnect with 2 strands of silver and 2 strands of copper in teflon insulation and then litz braided. I then wanted to add a copper braid over the top for RFI/EMI shielding.

My question is... Should I attach the shield to the ground of both connectors, one connector or neither and just have it passive?

Advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Jul 1, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #560 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by warnsey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My question is... Should I attach the shield to the ground of both connectors, one connector or neither and just have it passive?

Connect it to one end and then connect that end to your source components.

The idea is that the braid will drain away any RFI/EMI/noise/ghosts from the subsequent amplification stages

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #561 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by warnsey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Take a big metal rod, drive it into the ground, and solder the shield to that
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #562 of 1,012
I have a question: How hard would it be to make one of these if you have no previous experience soldering? I would really like to know, because I am debating whether or not to make one.

Jul 14, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #563 of 1,012
You should be fine. As good a place as any to start. The instructions provided here are very good (detailed).

Jul 14, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #564 of 1,012
It doesn't seem too complicated. I think my first DIY project will be a ZVM LOD. There's a guide (here) that I will probably use to accompany this one. Thanks to the original poster for this great detailed guide.

Jul 14, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #565 of 1,012
I'm interested in making my first mini-to-mini and was wondering if I could get everything I need from a place like Radioshack? It'd be easier for me to go to the store than order everything online. Thanks!

Jul 14, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #566 of 1,012
Quote:

I'm interested in making my first mini-to-mini and was wondering if I could get everything I need from a place like Radioshack? It'd be easier for me to go to the store than order everything online. Thanks!

I think you could get all your plugs and cabling at RadioShack, but it wouldn't be of as high quality as, for example, Canare Quadstar chord and Canare F-12 plugs.

Jul 14, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #567 of 1,012
That's perfectly fine for me, I'm just interested in the whole DIY thing and tinkering around with my new headphones and amp. I'm new to everything related to head-fi, so I'll start off taking baby steps.

Jul 15, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #568 of 1,012
Once again, great guide. I am going to be using Canare Star Quad Microphone Cable. What size Techflex should I get? 1/4? 1/2? What type of heatshrink should I get? 3:1? 2:1? What size? 6 mm? 12 mm? I am at a total loss. Thanks in advance.

Jul 16, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #569 of 1,012
Crap I think I got the wrong kind of plugs today from radioshack. They looked like they would do the job, but I can't unscrew the part to get to the connectors inside.

I'll just search this thread and/or google to find cheap plugs I can order online that will work.

Or if someone who actually knows what to look for would be kind enough to link me to a radioshack page with a proper plug model, that'll be great for when I return the ones I bought. It'd be appreciated.

Jul 16, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #570 of 1,012
I'd like to make directional interconnects to accompany my other DIY cables. I'm using canare star quad and RCA connectors.

Should I use 2 conductors for signal, 2 connectors for ground at source end and 1 connector for ground at amp (with the other conductor not connected)?

To anyone who has made directional cables, what was your method?

And did you notice any sonic differences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back