How to make an interconnect Step by Step With Pics
Aug 3, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #586 of 1,012
Hi guys. I have just started working on some DIY projects and i have purchased some materials to make an RCA interconnect. I bought a few feet of canare starquad cable and a few neutrik RCA plugs. However, i still am lookng for teflon and heat shrink. Can you guys link me to a site where i can buy these items thats ideal for an RCA interconnect with starquad cable?

Thanks, here are the RCA plugs i purchased:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=092-112

Aug 9, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #587 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by LepakVT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay I'm about to purchase a good amount of star quad, heat shrink, and plugs, but first I want to make sure these Neutriks are good to use

Part # NYS231BG on markertek. http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp...&search=0&off=

as threEchelon said a few days ago, those Neutriks are too small for Star Quad. in fact, i looked into getting some Star Quad Mini, because i bought a couple of pairs of Neutrik plugs as well, and even that won't fit without modification. the Neutrik minis will accomodate cabling up to 4mm O.D., and Star Quad is 6mm while Mini is 4.8mm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zyren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys. I have just started working on some DIY projects and i have purchased some materials to make an RCA interconnect. I bought a few feet of canare starquad cable and a few neutrik RCA plugs. However, i still am lookng for teflon and heat shrink. Can you guys link me to a site where i can buy these items thats ideal for an RCA interconnect with starquad cable?

Thanks, here are the RCA plugs i purchased:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=092-112

heat shrink you can get many places... i just bought materials to build myself some interconnects as well, and i got 3:1 heatshrink and techflex sleeving from www.partsexpress.com . they sell heatshrink a couple of feet at a time, and techflex in 25' increments. prices seem to be pretty good, and they don't screw you on shipping (a relatively light order can be shipped USPS first-class for around $3).

Aug 22, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #588 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the teflon wire comes with its own insulation, then you can do standard tri braid (like braiding hair) and use a multimeter to connect gourn, left, right.

or you can do litz braid for rca y-splitter 2=ground 1=left 1=right

you would then use flex expandable sleeving and cover it up.

This is quite an old quote, but still :p it is said many times around these places you can just chuck the techflex stuff (or whatever alternative you are using) over the braided teflon wire, doesnt that end up with the cable being all bumpy? i'm sure some people like this and I wouldn't mind a cable or two like that, but if i wanted a nice smooth cable (sorta the way starquad stuff looks) but DIYing it myself from some "26(dunno what size is best) AWG Silver plated copper wire with teflon insulation" that I was looking at on ebay, what would you advise? just going to a hardware store and trying to find some thin tubing that fits inside whatever connector i decide to use?

Also, on a side note. I remeber somewhere reading about some sort of shielding being needed more in europe due to interference from mobile phones i think, something about being on a different network type than in the states. Anyone able to shed light on that? I thought the braiding would be sufficient, but not 100% sure.

Aug 22, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #589 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by GiR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is quite an old quote, but still :p it is said many times around these places you can just chuck the techflex stuff (or whatever alternative you are using) over the braided teflon wire, doesnt that end up with the cable being all bumpy? i'm sure some people like this and I wouldn't mind a cable or two like that, but if i wanted a nice smooth cable (sorta the way starquad stuff looks) but DIYing it myself from some "26(dunno what size is best) AWG Silver plated copper wire with teflon insulation" that I was looking at on ebay, what would you advise? just going to a hardware store and trying to find some thin tubing that fits inside whatever connector i decide to use?

Also, on a side note. I remeber somewhere reading about some sort of shielding being needed more in europe due to interference from mobile phones i think, something about being on a different network type than in the states. Anyone able to shed light on that? I thought the braiding would be sufficient, but not 100% sure.

Sheathing the cable with cotton before sheathing it with techflex reduces bumpiness. Thin wire helps as well.

Sep 3, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #593 of 1,012
As so many have said before me: this is a helpful guide... thanks!

I just made my very first DIY-cable ever: 10cm mini->mini consisting of a teflon/kapton covered 24awg spc round tri-braid into neutrik gold-plated plugs

IMG_0908.jpg

*edit: I did a minor correction on the cable (shortened/readjusted the nylon sleeve a bit) so I replaced the pic as well

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #594 of 1,012
Thanks to everyone for all the great info in this thread.

Just completed my first two DIY cables - a mini to mini and a 1/4 to mini headphone adapter (in anticipation of getting SR225's).

Sep 25, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #597 of 1,012
Anyone know a good place to order rca and 3.5mm plugs from in europe? shipping from anywhere i have checked in usa is the same as the stuff i want, a 50 dollar order becomes 100 dollars with shipping
frown.gif

Also if they do techflexx/nylon stuff too that would rock
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Sep 25, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #598 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by GiR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know a good place to order rca and 3.5mm plugs from in europe?

if you order over €50, you can order from farnell (at least in Belgium) and they offer a lot of stuff (neutrik plugs, some switchcraft, nylon multifilament etc.)

otherwise RS components is an option as well, but they have a smaller selection and I haven't found any good sheeting solutions (techflex or nylon multifilament or anything alike) with them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back