How to make an interconnect Step by Step With Pics
Jul 16, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #571 of 1,012
I am about to make a headphone extension cable (3.5 mm out to 3.5mm in) with 15feet of 300volt max cable from home depot (cost like 6 bucks) it has a sort of silverish look to the inside and it has 3 cables (it will be my first cable so I am gonna get local stuff)

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #572 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicallySilent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am about to make a headphone extension cable (3.5 mm out to 3.5mm in) with 15feet of 300volt max cable from home depot (cost like 6 bucks) it has a sort of silverish look to the inside and it has 3 cables (it will be my first cable so I am gonna get local stuff)

Sounds like tinned copper.
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #573 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like tinned copper.
wink.gif

I would take a picture but I am not sure if my camera is capable (it sucks at macros :p)

it was 40 cents or so a foot and it looks like cardboard or some paperish material holds the cords in place.... Will tinned copper provide ok sound?

Jul 17, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #574 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ampersand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to make directional interconnects to accompany my other DIY cables. I'm using canare star quad and RCA connectors.

Should I use 2 conductors for signal, 2 connectors for ground at source end and 1 connector for ground at amp (with the other conductor not connected)?

To anyone who has made directional cables, what was your method?

And did you notice any sonic differences?

Directional cables are most commonly made with a shield (connected on one side) and a twisted pair. I think that Kimber uses a basic three wire braid with a drain wire, but it could be empty tubing or connected at both ends; I can't remember for sure.

To actually answer your question
tongue.gif
, with starquad, you would use two wires for signal, two wires for ground, and then connect the shield at the source end.

Jul 17, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #575 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Directional cables are most commonly made with a shield (connected on one side) and a twisted pair. I think that Kimber uses a basic three wire braid with a drain wire, but it could be empty tubing or connected at both ends; I can't remember for sure.

To actually answer your question
tongue.gif
, with starquad, you would use two wires for signal, two wires for ground, and then connect the shield at the source end.

Great, thanks! So, the RCA on the source end would have 2 conductors and the shield attached to the ground.

Any comments for or against these types of interconnects?

Jul 17, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #576 of 1,012
I just picked some wire up from radio shack and two jacks and I have some questions

The wires label is 2 conducter plus Shield... Is it possible to make a mini jack stereo plug with this or not? I was confused as to whether or not the shield is the ground...

Also I picked up some plugs to make an extension cable. how do you tell which is tip and which is left and right without a multimeter... I was thinking of the (double A battery wired up to a led through the jack?

Thanks for your help

Jul 17, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #577 of 1,012
Quote:

I just picked some wire up from radio shack and two jacks and I have some questions

The wires label is 2 conducter plus Shield... Is it possible to make a mini jack stereo plug with this or not? I was confused as to whether or not the shield is the ground...

u can use the shield as ground and the other 2 as left and right...

Jul 17, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #578 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by mADmAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
u can use the shield as ground and the other 2 as left and right...

How would you use the shield as the ground... Would you crimp the shield around the ground connector and just leave it as that (if all else fails i will do that)

Jul 17, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #579 of 1,012
Quote:

How would you use the shield as the ground... Would you crimp the shield around the ground connector and just leave it as that (if all else fails i will do that)

That's a poor cable geometry. I wouldn't recommend it. It's best not to use a shield connected at both ends.

Jul 18, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #580 of 1,012
Quote:

usually i unravel the shield and solder it to the ground..but the crimping works as well...id add abit of solder to it though to secure the connection...

Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a poor cable geometry. I wouldn't recommend it. It's best not to use a shield connected at both ends.

he doesnt really have much of a choice considering the cable he bought only has 2 conductors and a shield and he wants to use it for stereo.

Aug 1, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #583 of 1,012
I ordered some Neutrik NYS352G RCA plugs to make some interconnects for a car audio project. I opened the package and it contained a translucent plastic cylinder. What is the plastic part used for? Also where am I suppose to solder the ground?

Here is a picture for reference:
Neutrik_NYS352G__2.jpg

Aug 1, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #584 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by omarmipi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered some Neutrik NYS352G RCA plugs to make some interconnects for a car audio project. I opened the package and it contained a translucent plastic cylinder. What is the plastic part used for? Also where am I suppose to solder the ground?

Here is a picture for reference:
Neutrik_NYS352G__2.jpg

There's really no point to the plastic cylinder with an RCA. As long as the + connection doesn't touch the barrel, you'll be fine.

You solder the ground to any part of the plug that isn't the center soldering cup.
icon10.gif
Usually, you would solder the ground to the area right in front of the clampy piece.

Aug 1, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #585 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by LepakVT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay I'm about to purchase a good amount of star quad, heat shrink, and plugs, but first I want to make sure these Neutriks are good to use

Part # NYS231BG on markertek. http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp...&search=0&off=

Hmm. I think star quad may be too big for those unless you're willing to dremel the opening larger. I'd recommend using Switchcraft mini's. The best price for them is on www.audioadapter.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back