How to make an interconnect Step by Step With Pics
Apr 10, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #541 of 1,012
Well, 27 pages in and my question hasn't been asked...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave_M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
02068801.jpg

... but I believe this image answered it inadvertently.

With regard to soldering the sheilding at the source end only, is this the method to do it, simply unraveling the shield's weave and twisting to achieve a point to solder?

Appreciated!
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #542 of 1,012
Okay, n00b question here guys. I'm thinking of making my own mini-to-mini cables, would it be possible to use Canare L-2T2S 2-Conductor Microphone Cable to do it with, or should I stick with the star quad? Thanks!

Apr 14, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #543 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, n00b question here guys. I'm thinking of making my own mini-to-mini cables, would it be possible to use Canare L-2T2S 2-Conductor Microphone Cable to do it with, or should I stick with the star quad? Thanks!

You can use the 2 conductors for the L & R channels each (and use the shield as the combined ground). It's not the optimal/ideal configuration but that will work nonetheless.

Cheers!

Apr 28, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #545 of 1,012
I got a question, maybe someone can help me out.
I want to make an RCA to mini and I got these RCA plugs
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=091-050

They don't look like the RCA plugs used in the guide here though. They have a point for the channel to solder, but no place to solder ground. At least no place to really solder ground stable. There is a little screw that looks like it is used to clamp down a wire, but I am using silver teflon wires, so I don't really need that. I thought about taking the screw out and soldering ground there, but it's on the threaded area and if I solder there, I probably won't be able to get the sleeve back on. Should I try and solder to the screw? That would be tricky as it would be tough to get an tip in there.

Has anyone used these connectors before? I didn't know they were like this. I would have just gotten the regular ones. Also, a silly question maybe, For a mini-mini, I have been using to wire per connection, for 6 total, can I get away with just 1 ground wire per RCA to make it easier to connect the 2 ground wires to the mini?

Thanks in advance.

Here are some pics in case my description sucks.
rca1_sm.JPG

the screw in threaded area
rca2_sm.JPG

and you can see the screw in the entry part here
rca3_sm.JPG

Apr 28, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #546 of 1,012
Just simply solder the ground to those two sides.

Apr 30, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #548 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would very much appreciate any assistance with regard to my question (posted at the top of the page). Thanks!

I believe the answer is yes.

May 3, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #550 of 1,012
guys, can anyone please teach me how to make an interconnect using a coaxial cable? i see there is only one wire inside the cable, so how do you do it? Thanks.

May 3, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #552 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You use the shield braid as the ground.

Thanks, Zorander.
Does anyone have pics of this? Please post them if you do..

May 3, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #553 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronmtorres /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, Zorander.
Does anyone have pics of this? Please post them if you do..

Well, there's one up there.
rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif

Here's another one though.

1001270gd9.jpg

With really tight shields, I solder one side of the shield and then cut the opposite side (lengthwise). Then I bend the shield away and compress it into a cylinder a bit. After I solder the shield to wherever, I flood the exposed shield with solder to make sure that all the wires of the shield are connected.

With looser shields, I use the same method except I unbraid the shields, since it's pretty easy.

May 30, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #555 of 1,012
Hi, I am looking to make a rca-rca interconnect from cdp to amp. Currently looking at the canare starquad cable and neutrik rca jacks. Can I ask, is there a better cable than the starquad one can use for rca-rca?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back