How to make an interconnect Step by Step With Pics
Jan 14, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #526 of 1,012
thanks a lot, i will
smily_headphones1.gif
do you, however, recommend me using a specific color for each of the left/right/ground connections?

Jan 14, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #527 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronmtorres /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks a lot, i will
smily_headphones1.gif
do you, however, recommend me using a specific color for each of the left/right/ground connections?

There is no need to use any specific colours. Simply make sure each wire is connected to their respective terminals, i.e. left signal input to left signal output, left ground input to left ground output and so on.

Feb 11, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #528 of 1,012
I'm not very familiar with the measurements used to determine the size of Techflex needed i.e. 1/4 7/16 3/32 etc.

What is the average sized Techflex used around here for say a 2xRCA-2xRCA cable?

editNEVERMIND, looks like I skipped past the bit on the Techflex advice
biggrin.gif

edit 2Actually, I do need help. What do I choose for 3/8in? Inches are hurting my brain
frown.gif

Feb 11, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #529 of 1,012
Has anyone seen RnB180 lately? Is he doing all right? I just check his messages and he hasn't posted since Nov 06.

Feb 22, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #530 of 1,012
about the canare starquads.... are the individual conducters flexible? how about the copper? i worked with some home depot 16-4 wires, god they were stiff and really hard to work with...

Feb 22, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #531 of 1,012
^ Yes and yes.

Feb 24, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #532 of 1,012
Quick question about a mini-jack to mini-jack cable:

I don't have a multimeter handy, nor do I have any button cell batteries handy. I have something called a "voltage tester" however it says 80-500V AC/DC on it and I have no clue how to use it (an electrician left it here once and I just took it). Knowing this:

If I use starquad in the mini-mini cable, can I twist the two blues and the two whites together for the signal, and use the shielding as ground? Similar to what the above poster is doing with RCA, except with starquad and a mini jack. I'm not sure if this would work, anyone have an answer?

Thanks in advance.

Feb 25, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #533 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by royalcrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question about a mini-jack to mini-jack cable:

I don't have a multimeter handy, nor do I have any button cell batteries handy. I have something called a "voltage tester" however it says 80-500V AC/DC on it and I have no clue how to use it (an electrician left it here once and I just took it). Knowing this:

If I use starquad in the mini-mini cable, can I twist the two blues and the two whites together for the signal, and use the shielding as ground? Similar to what the above poster is doing with RCA, except with starquad and a mini jack. I'm not sure if this would work, anyone have an answer?

Thanks in advance.

I believe that should be fine.

Mar 2, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #534 of 1,012
Great write up, my eyes are bleary from reading 27 pages of it.

I am interested in trying this out, mostly for car, but maybe a couple for home, and I have a few questions since I've never done this before.

Should I go with Canare 75 Ohm Digital Video Coaxial Cable RG-6 Type, or Canare L-2T2S 2-Conductor?

The solid copper core looks attractive as previously mentioned, but I'm not sure how flexible or easy the cable is to work with.

I see RCA ends specifically designed for RG-6, but the RG-6 could use the same RCA ends as any other cable, correct?

Mar 24, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #536 of 1,012
Regular mic star quad?

Mar 25, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #537 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regular mic star quad?

Yes. L-4E6S.

As a side question, this seems to be the most used cable, but is there something better I could spend a little more for? I'm just trying to make a mini to RCA to go from my X-Fi to my LD2++.

Mar 25, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #538 of 1,012
edit: wrong thread for pictures

Q. Supplier / Part Numbers for 1/4 TRS maroon with gold contacts

Q. How do you hold your braid while soldering the second connector. I've tried holding it with wire clamps and rubber bands but it always unravels a bit.

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #539 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. L-4E6S.

As a side question, this seems to be the most used cable, but is there something better I could spend a little more for? I'm just trying to make a mini to RCA to go from my X-Fi to my LD2++.

I just picked up some Mogami cable. Some think it's a step up.

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #540 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by GarlicKnots /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Q. Does anyone know where to get maroon TRS connectors with gold contacts?

iirc, I have seen one on a parts site, but I forget which. Will try to remember.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarlicKnots /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Q. How do you keep braids tight while you're soldering the second side? I tried wire clamps and rubber bands, but both didn't hold the braid. Unfortunately my last loop kinda unraveled.

I use some masking tape at the second end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back