How To Get Over My Slightly Additive IEM Hobby?
Apr 24, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #31 of 61
If he's Canadian, he can marry if he has his parent's permission at 16. IF he's american, I'm not so sure.

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #32 of 61
i guess its alright for you to have a hobby but the main word here is "CONTROL".

or maybe after you reviewed the IEMs you can sold it for more fundings of your new IEMs. Circulate the flow so you wont feel hurt financially. But if money is not an object, well you can keep it and who knows... you can be the next reviewer for IEMs over here beside |joker| and CleOS....

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #33 of 61

Quote:
It's not a huge issue and it doesn't worry me much. I just wanted to see what other things people do besides Audio gear. I changed the thread accordingly, sorry for making it sound like something big, it's not an issue, I just wanted to see what you guys though about it.

Here's what I do everyday:

1. Wake up, eat breakfast (If it's Monday then I'll usually schedule a time to go out with my friends on the weekend cause I don't want to stay home all week)
2. Go to school
3. Come home, do homework
4. Once that is done, write up some reviews on my website and may go outside and shoot some hoops if the weather is nice
5. Browse the Head-Fi forums, look at all kinds of headphone reviews, amps, and many other audio gear for a solid hour or so
3. Spend the last 2-3 hours either listening to my headphones & IEM's (most likely) or watching some tube (least likely)

Sounds like a regular life of Riley to me.  Carry on young Austin!  Stay away from that idiot box if you can, it'll turn your brain to rancid vegetable shortening and you'll be doing the puppet dance by the time you're 21.  Stick to the music and keep a lid on that volume so you'll have some hearing left when you're older.  You've got a whole lifetime of music ahead of you - enjoy it!  Most of all - enjoy your friends and family.  If you haven't figured it out yet, there's nothing more fulfilling in this life than those connections with others, especially those you are closest to. 

Apr 25, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #34 of 61
How can you afford all this stuff at age 15?

Apr 25, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #35 of 61
The only cure for GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) is death.

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #37 of 61
is it all a bit much?  yes.

are you alone?  oh hell no, this here is crazy town full of the crazys. 

i think so long as you moderate things and dont let them take over your like then there are a great many worse things out there that you could be obsessing about.  booze, drugs, sleeping about etc etc.  be thankful your crazy is manifesting in something that doesnt really affect anyone else and are small things like IEM's rather than something more life dominating

Apr 25, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #38 of 61
well a few points here:

graduate to better stuff than IEMs - at least you could get some improvements - warning - 2 channel is moar expensive
realize your time is the most valuable thing you own - at 15 there are alot of low cost things you could be doing - including your girl friends best friends
Learn some other hobbies now, you simply have more free time at 15 than 30
You dont have OCD, you are just tuning stuff thats important to you - OCD is rare and very sad to watch
Killing your hearing now means you get ringing at 30 instead of 50 - and its VERY ANNOYING an I wish I would have stayed very far away from guns, firecrackers, and loud car stereos 30 years ago.
IEMs are kinda a joke, get some other gear to mix in there to enjoy

Apr 25, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #39 of 61
Sell everything and get one good pair. Finding my favorite headphones killed the quest for me. Getting more into speakers did the same.

Once you find something you enjoy, focus on the music. That's much more important than the gear.

Further, the music is more important than the gear arms race around here. I'm more impressed with someone who has a deep music collection than someone who owns a lot of gear and uses a handful of recordings to constantly evaluate them. You get so much more out of listening to a lot of music than trying to nail down a small difference between X and Y.

The grass might appear greener, but there really is a pair (or several pairs) that will please you every time you listen.

Apr 25, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #40 of 61
Stop reading reviews on sound quality and use only your own ears to judge it. That means that you have to demo a headphone before you buy of course. Also, make sure you listen for long enough and test with all your music types and sources. Sometimes a headphone can grow on you over time and the other way around. Of course, this also mean that if you don't like a headphone at the beginning, you may not even buy it to begin with. So it's really a complicated issue and there is no single answer. Just enjoy whatever you can and to enjoy what you don't.

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #41 of 61

Quote:
Just buy the IEM which you think is the 'top'. Listen to it and realize that the improvements from there on will be very very minimal for the high price you pay. Your brain will eventually tell you to stop buying IEMs and move on to something greater (Headphones? Speakers?)

Girls.

Except it won't be your brain that will be telling you what to do...

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #42 of 61
Staying away from here sure helps a lot in terms of getting over your 'upgradetis'.

Or you can always exhaust all buyable options and then get bored of the hobby if you got the cash.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #43 of 61

Quote:
Sell everything and get one good pair. Finding my favorite headphones killed the quest for me. Getting more into speakers did the same.

Once you find something you enjoy, focus on the music. That's much more important than the gear.

Further, the music is more important than the gear arms race around here. I'm more impressed with someone who has a deep music collection than someone who owns a lot of gear and uses a handful of recordings to constantly evaluate them. You get so much more out of listening to a lot of music than trying to nail down a small difference between X and Y.

The grass might appear greener, but there really is a pair (or several pairs) that will please you every time you listen.

I'm going to quote this because this is exactly how I feel about this whole hobby and it's explained better than the way I explained it.
m8chor this quote is the one for you.

From your buddy,
TheGomdoRi

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #44 of 61
well a few points here:

graduate at 15 there are alot of low cost things you could be doing - including your girl friends best friends

I'm not sure which way to interpret that one.
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and read it as
"spending time with your girlfriend and best friends."

Punctuation is your friend. It's the difference between
"I had to help my uncle, Jack, off his horse." and ... the alternative.

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #45 of 61
X3 with a caveat (see below).  I've been in that space of simplification of my listening systems for a very long time (pick the stuff that suits you best and stick with it - I have one pair of headphones and one pair of IEM's I use and enjoy.  Both are quite versatile as I have wide tastes in music.).  The whole raison d'etre for all these wires and circuits and transducers, is to enjoy the music.  There was a point many years ago when I would obsess about gear and comparisons and nitpicking everything to death, making lengthy comparisons.  Occasionally I still indulge when I know it might be fun (and indeed sometimes it is), or may take me to some other connection with people or with music.  What I find is that, whenever I am in that state of mind of actually focusing on, much worse obsessing, about gear, it takes me further and further away from actually enjoying the music I love.  If I'm focusing on the gear and how it performs I can tell you for certain I am certainly NOT likely to be losing myself in the music (which is the reason I enjoy the gear in the first place).  I inevitably have far more to talk about when it comes to music, and find those conversations really stimulating and exciting (it's way more fun for me to learn about and share new music, than it is new gear).  Conversations about gear occur to me like someone trying to have a conversation about the clothing they choose and why.  It's largely an entirely personal and subjective choice and you really can only say so much about the stuff - so is music entirely subjective and personal, but I frequently find there's more crossover there in tastes...somehow the 'share' has the potential to go right to the heart rather than to the head (like gear does for me).  I do enjoy conversations like this that actually take the hobby as a point of departure, and sometimes end up sharing more about the people in the conversation rather than the 'stuff' they're talking about. 

That said, this is not the only way...just my own personal take on it.  I'm a very right-brain, creative type personality, and my analytical side is deeply suppressed by those other urges.  By all means, if you are passionate about reviewing gear, do it to your hearts content.  If that's your way of getting out in the world and connecting, then have at it.  If you are bothered by something about it (which I assume is why you posted in the first place) I guess I might start by trying to figure out what really bugs you about it, and figure out what it's actually getting you in your life.  Ultimately, if you are having fun and enjoying life and not hurting others or yourself, I see nothing wrong with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik 

I'm going to quote this because this is exactly how I feel about this whole hobby and it's explained better than the way I explained it.
m8chor this quote is the one for you.

From your buddy,
TheGomdoRi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back