How To Get Over My Slightly Additive IEM Hobby?
Apr 24, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #16 of 61
No, no, no, no, I do not have OCD or anxiety. I just find auditioning and purchasing audio gear a lot more fun than other people and though that it was kind of weird for a kid of age 15.

Apr 24, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #17 of 61
Well, it's certaintly not a bad hobby to have, but the title of the thread is 'How To Get Over My IEM Addiction?'

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #18 of 61
1. Buy the top tier iem/s and get over it
2. Bankrupt yourself, no $$ means no more purchases
3. Get another hobby like gardening or something that forces you to spend time outdoors
4. Delete headfi and any other audio related website from your browser favourites
5. Come clean with yourself about the insane amount of time and money you're probably spending on audio stuff compared to other kids of your age, confessing to your parents may help
6. Reinforce negative behaviour, ie electric shocks or even getting hit over by a car while listening to music on the go.

But seriously, self control is key

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #19 of 61

Quote:
No, no, no, no, I do not have OCD or anxiety. I just find auditioning and purchasing audio gear a lot more fun than other people and though that it was kind of weird for a kid of age 15.

Well its good to hear that its nothing serious. Choose a different title for your thread next time; 'addiction' has a lot of negative and serious connotations to it.
:)

Apr 24, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #20 of 61

Quote:
Well its good to hear that its nothing serious. Choose a different title for your thread next time; 'addiction' has a lot of negative and serious connotations to it.
:)

I would find this statement to have rather negative connotations to it, but hey, that's just me.  Most things in life that really, deeply mean something, that get you places, actually become catalysts to changes and development, that touch you deeply... well, at least in my lifetime (a bit less than 4 times Austin's brief stint here on this planet), come exclusively from my connections with other people.  And I mean everything.  This statement, therefore, implies to me very serious connotations:

Quote:
I just find auditioning and purchasing audio gear a lot more fun than other people and though that it was kind of weird for a kid of age 15.

Personally, I'd find that a bit odd no matter what your age.  My suggestion would be to find some kind of balance (and I don't know that you have not, but this statement does not leave much hope that you have).  Not that you should not find joy in your music/gear, and let it be a wonderful distraction - but at some point you need to bring your head out of that hole and actually connect with others.  Perhaps it's just a phase, but I respond this way because you've actually taken the effort to think and post about it and obviously it must concern you on some level.  On face value I see nothing wrong at all with having a deep seated passion for music and gear to the point of pursuing it to your hearts content - again, providing your not hurting yourself or others in the process, or checking out from actually connecting with the rest of the world around you.  It would be that latter statement that I'd focus on based on what you've said. 

Apr 24, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #21 of 61

Quote:
Delete headfi from your personal browser, sell off all but a couple of what you consider your best iems (one for daily use, one for back up)and start visiting more music sites :p

LOL....Perfect answer.  Stay as far away from here as possible.  I did it for a while after purchasing my MTPC and was very content having a set of analytical IEM's(CK10) and musical ones(MTPC).  Now I'm back and my wallet has never been the same.

Just enjoy increasing your music collection for a while and see how long you can hold out.  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 24, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #22 of 61

I would find this statement to have rather negative connotations to it, but hey, that's just me.  Most things in life that really, deeply mean something, that get you places, actually become catalysts to changes and development, that touch you deeply... well, at least in my lifetime (a bit less than 4 times Austin's brief stint here on this planet), come exclusively from my connections with other people.  And I mean everything.  This statement, therefore, implies to me very serious connotations:

Personally, I'd find that a bit odd no matter what your age.  My suggestion would be to find some kind of balance (and I don't know that you have not, but this statement does not leave much hope that you have).  Not that you should not find joy in your music/gear, and let it be a wonderful distraction - but at some point you need to bring your head out of that hole and actually connect with others.  Perhaps it's just a phase, but I respond this way because you've actually taken the effort to think and post about it and obviously it must concern you on some level.  On face value I see nothing wrong at all with having a deep seated passion for music and gear to the point of pursuing it to your hearts content - again, providing your not hurting yourself or others in the process, or checking out from actually connecting with the rest of the world around you.  It would be that latter statement that I'd focus on based on what you've said. 

It's not a huge issue and it doesn't worry me much. I just wanted to see what other things people do besides Audio gear. I changed the thread accordingly, sorry for making it sound like something big, it's not an issue, I just wanted to see what you guys though about it.

Here's what I do everyday:

1. Wake up, eat breakfast (If it's Monday then I'll usually schedule a time to go out with my friends on the weekend cause I don't want to stay home all week)
2. Go to school
3. Come home, do homework
4. Once that is done, write up some reviews on my website and may go outside and shoot some hoops if the weather is nice
5. Browse the Head-Fi forums, look at all kinds of headphone reviews, amps, and many other audio gear for a solid hour or so
3. Spend the last 2-3 hours either listening to my headphones & IEM's (most likely) or watching some tube (least likely)

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #23 of 61

Quote:
Quote:

It's not a huge issue and it doesn't worry me much. I just wanted to see what other things people do besides Audio gear. I changed the thread accordingly, sorry for making it sound like something big, it's not an issue, I just wanted to see what you guys though about it.

Here's what I do everyday:

1. Wake up, eat breakfast (If it's Monday then I'll usually schedule a time to go out with my friends on the weekend cause I don't want to stay home all week)
2. Go to school
3. Come home, do homework
4. Once that is done, write up some reviews on my website and may go outside and shoot some hoops if the weather is nice
5. Browse the Head-Fi forums, look at all kinds of headphone reviews, amps, and many other audio gear for a solid hour or so
3. Spend the last 2-3 hours either listening to my headphones & IEM's (most likely) or watching some tube (least likely)

I'm not seeing girls or seriously getting in shape or having any activity that takes you out of upper class life in that list. Add at least one of those, preferably all of them in any given week.

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #24 of 61
I'm not seeing girls or seriously getting in shape or having any activity that takes you out of upper class life in that list. Add at least one of those, preferably all of them in any given week.

I have a girlfriend and I run two miles everyday in our health class.

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #26 of 61
This whole thread makes me glad I discovered head-fi late in life.

This thread make me sad I discoverd Head-Fi late in life,
think of all the useless stuff I spent loads of money on thats just collecting dust now.
and all the stupid stuff I could have avoided because of being broke. :wink: :p

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #28 of 61

Quote:
Quote:

I have a girlfriend and I run two miles everyday in our health class.

Great, now spend more time with/on her than you do on audio junk and do some volunteering for a group of people who don't have trust funds and you will be officially over your hobby.

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #29 of 61
Hmm.. that means its a hobby. An addiction causes you to slowly obsess over one thing that ends up only being the meaning of your whole life.

Personally, if it's your hobby, keep it. (IMO, that's not alot of IEMs..looking at my room, i have a miuaudio in ear, a prototype for the next copycat version of the beats in ear, 2 grados sr80s, 1 rocketfish, a pairs of beats studio waiting for a vicious modder, and a hyundai pair of in ears. O_O..only 4 pairs of IEMs and 3 pairs of headphones)
Don't worry, you're in good company. I'm 17. And not working..soo i'm more in debt..

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #30 of 61
Getting married in the last year has meant I spend slightly less time drooling with upgraditis over what my next purchase will be. I recommend that route. Wait, at 15 you're still a little young. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back