How to equalize your headphones: advanced tutorial (in progress)
Jul 3, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #76 of 124
What would make you want to wear the pfe112 and have them sound like the etys though, instead of just wearing the etys? :p Comfort?

Have you checked with a sine sweep to see that the red dampers are cutting away the resonance instead of just lowering all the treble frequencies?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #77 of 124
Comf
What would make you want to wear the pfe112 and have them sound like the etys though, instead of just wearing the etys? :p Comfort?

Have you checked with a sine sweep to see that the red dampers are cutting away the resonance instead of just lowering all the treble frequencies?

Comfort, and theyre better for grab and go portable use without an amp

Sep 25, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #79 of 124

Yes. They are reducing the 2-3khz area a bit and some others. Just a bit, but it really helps..

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #80 of 124

I'll be going on a business trip this weekend... brief instructions for you, since you say you have a calibrated speaker setup

1. Set Sinegen to output 1000Hz at -10dB level to Virtual Audio Cable.  Don't hit the Power button yet!
2. In VSTHost, load Electri-Q, click the "M" button to the lower right, set the Mode to Digital and Quality to Normal.
3. Choose M->Skin->Gain Range->30dB
4. Add a control point by clicking on the line, right click the point to change the band type to Basic->Gain only.  Then drag the point down to -20dB, the whole line should go down to -20dB.  (these steps are necessary to give you the digital headroom for the bass boost you need to create the equal loudness contour for the loudspeakers.

For some reason I can only get it to 15 and not 20. I must have not added a control point correctly or loaded the electri-Q correctly is what I'm thinking :|

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #81 of 124
For some reason I can only get it to 15 and not 20. I must have not added a control point correctly or loaded the electri-Q correctly is what I'm thinking :|

Wow. This thread shall forever be immortalized as one of my countless projects that never got finished :xf_eek:

Anyway, to answer your question: A single control point only goes down to -15dB. My bad :xf_eek: You can add another Gain control point to make the total gain -20dB. :xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #82 of 124
Wow. This thread shall forever be immortalized as one of my countless projects that never got finished
redface.gif

Anyway, to answer your question: A single control point only goes down to -15dB. My bad
redface.gif
You can add another Gain control point to make the total gain -20dB.
redface.gif

So what I got so far is when I click the line it automatically adds 5 control points. I delete 4 to get one. Then the setting change to gain only, digital and 30 db. Then it goes down to 15. When I add some control points and mess around with the points a bit it becomes a jagged line. My question is is it meant to be a jagged line or there is a way to make the line completely straight as right I now seem to have to experiment with the control points and get a sort of straight line hoping for the best straight line possible

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #84 of 124
Wow. This thread shall forever be immortalized as one of my countless projects that never got finished
redface.gif

Anyway, to answer your question: A single control point only goes down to -15dB. My bad
redface.gif
You can add another Gain control point to make the total gain -20dB.
redface.gif

Ok ok I do need to ask, regarding your 16 steps I'm more in the 2nd stage of "You have a good headphone setup you are relatively satisfied with in overall signature but would like to improve its technical abilities (especially if you want smoother highs): listen to your headphones through Sinegen and smooth out its frequency response (especially in the treble), then create your equal loudness contour from your EQed headphones"

so I just wanted to ask is the dragging the point to -20db still applicable?

Edit: Actually I'm using a mac, I was doing your method on a PC to get a feel on what I am supposed to do, now that I have understood a bit I am trying to transfer the principles I learned on the PC onto a Mac with Soundflower and AU Lab. I guess I am now stuck at the making equalise loudness like in post http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial/750#post_8208522. Right now with using AU Lab and soundflower I am getting something like this http://postimg.org/image/tl8cxkbc5/

As you can see in the bottom I make an example of how the Q function (that's what it's called in AU Lab) can be made wider. I was just wondering is it possible to get the true equal loudness curve like demonstrated in Electri-Q or is it ok to just leave like as it is. I would imagine if I leave it as it is at some frequencies in between it would get oddly uneven in terms of loudness :|

Dec 12, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #85 of 124
Ok ok I do need to ask, regarding your 16 steps I'm more in the 2nd stage of "You have a good headphone setup you are relatively satisfied with in overall signature but would like to improve its technical abilities (especially if you want smoother highs): listen to your headphones through Sinegen and smooth out its frequency response (especially in the treble), then create your equal loudness contour from your EQed headphones"

so I just wanted to ask is the dragging the point to -20db still applicable?

Edit: Actually I'm using a mac, I was doing your method on a PC to get a feel on what I am supposed to do, now that I have understood a bit I am trying to transfer the principles I learned on the PC onto a Mac with Soundflower and AU Lab. I guess I am now stuck at the making equalise loudness like in post http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial/750#post_8208522. Right now with using AU Lab and soundflower I am getting something like this http://postimg.org/image/tl8cxkbc5/

As you can see in the bottom I make an example of how the Q function (that's what it's called in AU Lab) can be made wider. I was just wondering is it possible to get the true equal loudness curve like demonstrated in Electri-Q or is it ok to just leave like as it is. I would imagine if I leave it as it is at some frequencies in between it would get oddly uneven in terms of loudness :|

I don't think I've ever finished that part of the guide :xf_eek:
The gist of what you want to do (when correcting headphones you are pretty satisfied with to start with) is to null any narrow peaks or nulls above 1kHz without greatly changing the overall balance of the phones or trying to make all frequencies sound equal. I would just note down about how many dBs louder or softer the narrow peaks and nulls sound than the surrounding frequencies, then experiment with the Q factor of the correcting filters for the smoothest correction.

Apart from that, I don't quite follow what your question is :xf_eek:

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #86 of 124
  Too much work. I just use the EQ built into foobar and when it sounds good to me I save a profile for each set of headphones I own. Simple.

I kind of agree ... I just try cancel the frequency response "errors" of headphones/speakers using eq (save cancellation eq as a static preset) and then, if needed, eq by taste while listening.

Previously I used this VSTHost-VAC-Electri-Q method as well but as being a complicated setup, I switched to EqualizerAPO + my own GUIs made for to control it. I also have added couple features to the GUIs for to prepare the cancellation preset (on upcoming version 0.40 it's possible to load a frequency response image for to prepare eq against it and then inverting the eq).

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #87 of 124

I kind of agree ... I just try cancel the frequency response "errors" of headphones/speakers using eq (save cancellation eq as a static preset) and then, if needed, eq by taste while listening.

Previously I used this VSTHost-VAC-Electri-Q method as well but as being a complicated setup, I switched to EqualizerAPO + my own GUIs made for to control it. I also have added couple features to the GUIs for to prepare the cancellation preset (on upcoming version 0.40 it's possible to load a frequency response image for to prepare eq against it and then inverting the eq).

How did you cancel the frequency response 'errors' ?

Dec 15, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #88 of 124
How did you cancel the frequency response 'errors' ?
you can try with pink noise, any part that stands out you can reduce it until no partucular tone catches your attention.

Dec 15, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #89 of 124
you can try with pink noise, any part that stands out you can reduce it until no partucular tone catches your attention.

so right now I play pink noise in the background and then play sinegen and then play around with the frequencies in sinegen like normal but like you said reduce any frequency that catches my attention is that correct?

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #90 of 124
  so right now I play pink noise in the background and then play sinegen and then play around with the frequencies in sinegen like normal but like you said reduce any frequency that catches my attention is that correct?

Well... I am not exactly sure what sinegen does but yeah other than that it's pretty much right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back