How to equalize your headphones: advanced tutorial (in progress)
Feb 20, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #122 of 124
I found this to be a great tutorial, and I think the fundamentals of the technique are well founded.  I'll just point out that I tried to use the free VB-Audio instead of virtual audio cable, and it didn't turn out well.  Just listening to the cable output without even going through vsthost created what seemed to be some kind of aliasing or Moire effect where some parasitic tones were created.  I tried to match all the sample rates, and while this did change the character of the effect a little, it didn't remove it.

The real virtual audio cable works fine. 

By the way is it normal to have spiky left right balance shifts at high frequencies?  Is this more likely the headphones or my not so young ears?  I guess as I ask it I realize the obvious way to find out.. turn the headphones around.  I will be trying it shortly.

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #123 of 124
  I found this to be a great tutorial, and I think the fundamentals of the technique are well founded.  I'll just point out that I tried to use the free VB-Audio instead of virtual audio cable, and it didn't turn out well.  Just listening to the cable output without even going through vsthost created what seemed to be some kind of aliasing or Moire effect where some parasitic tones were created.  I tried to match all the sample rates, and while this did change the character of the effect a little, it didn't remove it.

The real virtual audio cable works fine. 

By the way is it normal to have spiky left right balance shifts at high frequencies?  Is this more likely the headphones or my not so young ears?  I guess as I ask it I realize the obvious way to find out.. turn the headphones around.  I will be trying it shortly.

I do experience this with headphones, and I do think it is due to imbalance between the drivers rather than my ears, though I haven't given it much thought. I'd be more concerned if it is over a broader frequency range

Mar 15, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #124 of 124
I haven't got back around to testing that balance issue yet.

Anyway, I did get VB-audio to work well with a little advice from customer service:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/801397/vb-audio-cable-windows-volume-control#post_12422957

Users who are viewing this thread

Back