How to equalize your headphones: A Tutorial
Oct 29, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #856 of 1,153
Okay, I may have flown off the handle there. I'll apologize upfront since you took it pretty well and offered up some constructive points.

The light analogy was just a spur of the moment thing I came up with. Sound and light obviously behave differently, so I'll give you that one.

As far as the original post, I went back afterward and reread some of it. No offense to Namek, but I think it's a bit long. As in, I could have taken about three paragraphs to explain the whole thing, not counting explaining where to get the tools or how they work. It's simple. Sine sweep. Find peaks. Mark down the center frequency of each. Load up parametric EQ. Make bands for each peak found. Play pink noise. Draw down each band until the sound energy at that point is even with everything else around it (here's the hokey bit since this is all by ear). Use the narrowest bandwidth possible.

There. That took me nine sentences.

Obviously we have differing philosophies, so there's no point in hashing out the discussion on substance. Where I took issue was when you blanket dismissed the whole concept of this thread from what I perceived as a knee jerk reaction, without having put any real thought into it. There's too much of that that goes on on Head-Fi. For instance, suggest that there's no such thing as burn in or that cables don't make a difference or that amps don't make as much of a difference as most people say, and you immediately get somebody coming after you. I just assumed it was more of that. Obviously you have put more thought into it than what you usually get around here, and I respect that.

I appreciate the response, at any rate. Hopefully you can see why I reacted the way I did, and hopefully we can smooth this out, maybe in another thread and about something we agree on (like those Tice Clocks 
wink.gif
).

EDIT: I must confess I wasn't aware of that meme before. Weird how I missed that one.

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #857 of 1,153
well actually to he honest i completely disregarded the original post with its methodology and only tune by ear since my ear tells me what sounds right, but do refer to the graph rarely to get a rough idea to get some clues, but other than that i tune only by ear so minimize the flaws and maximize the flexibility and enjoyment of my music

afterall music and headphones is for our enjoyment
tongue.gif

(i also tried to tune my headphones using purely graph, it sounded very hollow and bad)

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #858 of 1,153
1. The OP used staxes as an example for his eq. Why would he do that if he thinks $1 buds can work just as well with EQ?

2. I am on the phone right now and so all I will say is that, having tried the method in the OP (and improved on it), I can confidently say that every word you posted in the above post is full of you-know-what :wink:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 5, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #860 of 1,153
From my experience with circumaural cans they do seem to often have a deep notch in the response somewhere.

As for peaks, you may find that with a louder volume setting you may suddenly find some frequencies to be much louder.  Careful you don't go overboard though.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 16, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #861 of 1,153
The link to download Sinegen 2.1 from tucows here adds a malicious toolbar along with the download. All tucows downloads have been doing this for months. You can scroll down all the way on a tucows download page (such as the link to download sinegen) and click "Uninstall Toolbar" at the bottom of the page to get an explanation that they actually install this adware with every single download, and how to remove it. However according to reports online it's persistent and uses resources even after removal. People trying the guide are getting directed to this courtesy of Head-Fi...

I uploaded sinegen.exe without the toolbar installer here:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6IxqGzcxDWTeGhycEdFeEdhZzg

To the point: It is somewhat expected of a mod to edit the first post. PiccoloNamek hasn't been online in a year.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #862 of 1,153
Mine looks like this.  

This is all I use for music for my hd650 also using little dot mk iii with voskhod tubes and 2 powertubes.

For film I use 2 mixpressor2 plugins to limit 2 different frequencies so that for example the nasgul and wraiths screams in lotr don't cut through your ears at high volumes (works for all films, cuts the highest of all unpleasant treble if you want higher volume while leaving the rest of the sound pretty intact). 
A bit more ot, but also started using tmt5 for playing almost all movies since sound is greater (more spacious and detailed) than lav filters in media player classic.

Let me know if someone want settings for this. I am real happy I managed to solve all this by myself, really makes a huge difference imo. :)

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #864 of 1,153
You can listen to it on anything you like. Different signature headphones will accent, enhance, or even degrade different parts of the sound. Flat headphones can be just as fun as warm or sparkly ones, it's all preference. There is no "should". They're made on flat response equipment so that any headphone will be able to apply the type of sound it has. Mixing with bassy headphones will result in a bass-shy tracks, and with a flat response headphone it won't sound great, but with a bassy headphone it will sound "flat".

Just do what you think sounds best, not what others think or say you should.

Dec 25, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #865 of 1,153
If only it were true that all or even most mixing is done on flat equipment, or to some standard.  Granted I'm not in the industry, but I have read widely on the topic and there are few, if any, standards even where there should be.  I re-visited this thread after a few month's absence.  In the end, the best advice is: listen to what others say, tweak to your own taste, and listen to some music.  At some point, valid advice turns into ego-feeding fantasy and you're just wasting your time.

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #866 of 1,153
^ Both of the above posts make good points. There aren't any hard fast standards in the industry. Basically, it's whatever the monitors are putting out, including how well treated the mixing room is, that determines what kind of curve they're dealing with. Of course manufacturers try to make their equipment as accurate as possible, but that requires a lot of engineering, and in any design compromises must be made. Then, of course, there is the judgement/taste of the engineer(s) involved with the project.

Theoretically, assuming that within reasonable tolerances all mixing systems produce a flat response, the "perfect" headphone "should" reproduce the balance of such a system heard at a distance of about two or three feet (or however far away the engineer was when (s)he mixed the track). In other words, allowing for the loss of the visceral aspect of the lower frequencies, the typical audiophile headphone "should" sound like a good pair of mini monitors. This is pretty far removed from reality (i.e. a live performance), particularly in the presence/prevalence of treble. If a "more natural" sound is your preference, like you're listening to the music live and from a greater distance, you're already looking at "colored" headphones.

In which case, there's really no reason to worry about "perfect" reproduction. If you like what you hear, by all means keep enjoying it. That's why I kept putting "should" in quotes earlier. Ideals are never met, nor are they the best fit for everybody.

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #867 of 1,153
Could you possibly update this to reflect current versions of software you refer to. Having loaded the recommended software can find no way to get equaliser as plugin to any player software on my PC. Not got winamp but have various software such as Nero and VLC which are demanded by some sotware apps so they are grudgingly tolerated. Do I need WinAmp to replace every other playback software ? I know most software wants total dominance which I would rather exclude. Ideally would prefer to use my default extensive itunes library for playback and not disrupt or re-organise library nor duplicate it and consume vast space with further duplication on other formats. Maybe you could advise how integration with that could be used or advise if not possible. Or do I have to do a software mod then revert PC back to a previous image after the software has been used on a temporary basis. Thanks.

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #868 of 1,153
The OP has long since left head fi. If you want to use your existing software with electri-q I would recommend using VSTHost (google) with an audio loopback (such as the 'what u hear' channel on some sound card, looping digital out back to digital in, audio rerouting feature on stuff like the sound blaster x-fi series, or if all else fails, Virtual Audio Cable (google)) as the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back