How to equalize your headphones: A Tutorial
Jun 5, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #886 of 1,153
Quote:

When a person says that they want to alter the characteristic of a headphone so that the mids don't cover the highs, they mean that the louder your mids are, less highs you are going to listen, because the louder the mids are, the quieter every other frequency is going to sound. Your perception of sounds adapts according to the sound pressure level, which not only the mids contribute to.
If you don't understand this it is no surprise you say what you do.
Also you acuse others of audiophile guesswork, but you seem to be quite eager to collect headphones without understanding the function and usefulness of equalizers. 

There are other arguments that could have been made. If you read the entire exchange, you'll see that I kind of just blasted the guy, which I regretted as soon as I posted it. I didn't want to carry on the argument anymore since, as the web comic he posted illustrates, in the general scheme of things what we were arguing about isn't really very important. No need to fight. I guess his posts just rubbed me the wrong way.

Anyway, the idea of one frequency masking another is one of the fundamental principles of any lossy data compression algorithm. The encoder analyzes the waveform, works out which parts are unlikely to be missed, and pitches them. Of course it's not smart enough to work out which portions correspond, say, to the stiction of a bow on strings or other minute details. It also can't separate out individual instruments from the sum waveform. In other words, it's unaware of the actual audio realization of all the data it analyzes. All it can do is compare the amplitude of the various constituents of the signal, note where very quiet elements occur alongside very loud ones, and reduce the complexity of the signal by eliminating the quiet elements, thus reducing the file size. Of course encoders do a lot more than this, but this where the "lossy" aspect comes from, and where the idea of frequency masking is vindicated.

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #887 of 1,153
Quote:
Oh, you don't have to dress it up. If my attitude offends, you so be it.

BBS, this has nothing to do with the subject. I just wanted to know how someone who could write such a literate and lucid post could put a comma in totally the wrong place like that. I'm intrigued.

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #889 of 1,153
Quote:
Hi OP,
   That was a very informative tutorial. I do have a question though: Once you get the EQ tuned to flat, is it possible to replicate it on a different source like an iPod Touch (with an EQ app)?

Possible, but depends on the way the different EQ's work, it is based on factors such as the maths equations used, the smoothening factor of the curves for a graphic eq, and various others. You could get a similar result but it would probably have slight variations.

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #890 of 1,153
Quote:
Possible, but depends on the way the different EQ's work, it is based on factors such as the maths equations used, the smoothening factor of the curves for a graphic eq, and various others. You could get a similar result but it would probably have slight variations.

Okay, so maybe I used the wrong word back there. I think "imitate" would have been a better choice of word, don't you think? Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #891 of 1,153
Quote:
Okay, so maybe I used the wrong word back there. I think "imitate" would have been a better choice of word, don't you think? Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Well i understood what you said the first time around, and well how well you can copy a curve from one eq to another is mostly on how consistent the softwares are to each other. Or how well you could use your ears too to judge.

Jul 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #894 of 1,153
I have installed winamp and the "Electri-Q parametric equalizer Freeware Version" plugin
, but I can't figure out how to start the plugin (never used winamp before).  

Any help?

crtl + p
scroll down on the left till you see the dsp/effect
then select electri-q

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #897 of 1,153
I've done some equalizing now on my M50s' and it got rid of some annoying noise. The difference is mostly noticeable in the way cymbals sound.
Very nice guide!

Good to hear positive results from your eqing :D

Jul 21, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #900 of 1,153
Many, many thanks for the 'clean' download link to SinGen. I'd fallen at the first fence, so to speak, up to then. At least I can start now! Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back