How to equalize your headphones: A Tutorial
Oct 24, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #361 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im sure you'll love this one for 3 days just like all the other ones you tried hehe. no offense, but you skip around EQ's like socks.

hehe, try it! you'll hear why I'm raving about it, this is the ultimate EQ...bar none.

I've got no problem X2'ing all these testimonials: Sonnox Oxford Plugins

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #364 of 1,153
I am having trouble grasping what the central point is of this tutorial because there appears to be a fundamental misunderstanding of the source of the resonance peak being shown in the first post.

The ear canal has a natural resonance at 3-4kHz

Multimedia Audio Course - Perception of sound: Human ear - Sound engineering - Audiosonica

You don't want to equalize this out of existence because this is how you hear sound. I.e. if you listen to a speaker with a flat measured response the 3-4 kHz region is inherently amplified by ear resonance. You and your brain have grown up listening to this and this peak is is perceived as flat because that's what this type of response represents in the outside world.

Thus if you eq this peak out of existence your brain will hear the result as a midrange dip, not as a flat response!!!!!!

This may be ok to your listening of music but that this is not flat or neutral.

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #365 of 1,153
I think you are mistaking the natural effect the pinna has on the incoming sound and the resonance of the air column in the ear canal when stopped at both ends by the ear drum and the driver. The latter resonance manifests itself as a sharp peak, usually in the 7-8kHz range, which is entirely unnatural and does not occur in real world listening.

Oct 31, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #366 of 1,153
Hi,
I have a problem with this. No matter which EQ I download, it's just some *.dll file and *uninstall.exe, no standalone EQ and I don't know hot to use those dll files. I do copy them into VstPlugins but what do I do after?
Please help

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #367 of 1,153
Ok, here is my first attempt at eqing. I am really surprised I got Electri-Q working with foobar, wasn't easy to setup. Anyways:

eq1.JPG

Nov 6, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #368 of 1,153
dear PiccoloNamek,

thank you very much for posting this. i have spend the last few hours equalizing and thinking about equalization.

i came to the conclusion that this method of equalization makes the music sound distorted.

let me try to explain how i come to this thesis:

10 dezibel of a 50 hz frequency have a different loudness to a human, compared to 10 dezibel of 7.5 khz.
i am saying that we perceive the same objective loudness (dezibel) as a different subjective loudness.

that means different frequencies generated by the "SineGen 2.1" are SUPPOSED to have a different loudness to the human ear.

soundengineers know this and record accordingly to the human perception of sound.

if you equalize your hardware in a way that every frequency has the same loudness, the music will sound distorted. it will sound in a way the people who recorded it, never intended it to sound like because they made the music for a human ear with a false perception of frequencies and not for a perfect "computer ear".

maybe I am missing something. i am neither a physicist nor a biologist.

what do you think of this theory?

Nov 6, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #369 of 1,153
I wondered this very same idea as i was doing this. I also wonder why ever high end headphone maker wouldn't notice and correct this supposed unbalance at the 6-9 kHz range.

Nov 21, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #371 of 1,153
all this talk about software eq's is nice, but what about hardware equalization?
wouldnt an equalizer count as an additional layer of processing, and so it is another step in which the depth of sound is reduced? as in there are only so many steps in the amplitude of a digitally generated waveform, any sort of processing would mean the calculated values are rounded to the nearest available value... i would prefer a hardware, purely analog, equalizer because it has an infinite number of values, it doesnt take up CPU power, and im alot more nimble with my fingers than with a mouse...

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #372 of 1,153
I take back all my negative comments about equalizing. I used to always keep things flat because its the "audiophile" way. But in the real world, our listening environment isnt perfect and headphones are no exception. With HRTF and uneven human hearing, its impossible to have headphones sound the same to everyone. Headphone manufactures simulate an acoustic environment inside the headphones to sound more like real speakers and to make up for peoples different hearing. This is why there are so many peaks and resonances in headphones. I know with loudspeakers, some resonances and early reflections actually contribute to speech intelligibility. That being said, are there particular frequencies that you should slightly raise?

Equalizing my Grado SR-125 was sort of hard because there was ALOT of peaks and its easy to over-do the Q curve and blend with another peak. My frequency sweep sounds quite flat but needs improvement. One thing I like to use is a "noisy" sweep to listen for peaks in the harmonics.

I must say my headphones sound much more accurate an uncolored. They actually have slightly more detail with the parametric EQ off but it is all artificial treble energy that is harsh and overshadows the lower mids and makes the bass seem light. With my personal parametric EQ on, all the right details come out and everything sounds "even". Much like reference studio monitors in a dead room.

As I said earlier, according to psychoacoustics, peaks and reflections CAN enhance the intelligibility of the music if done correctly. That being said, does anyone know which frequencies tend to stimulate the brain or the bones inside the ear?

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #375 of 1,153
Nobody can really ever post a preset for someone else, because each person's preset will be different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back