How to equalize your headphones: A Tutorial
Mar 22, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #196 of 1,153
Thanks everyone for this valuable thread. I was eagerly searching for ways to produce a more balanced sound from my 2-month-old k701s. Following advice here, I set up some sweep tones in Logic Audio and created instances of Apple's AUParametricEQ AudioUnit to give a constant perceived loudness across the spectrum. Peaks in the 6-8kHz band were very apparent and causing the phones to produce harsh sibilants and cymbals.

After about two hours of experimenting I have arrived at 4 instances of the AUParametricEQ:
2500Hz, Q 10, -6dB
4900Hz, Q12, -6.5dB
6400Hz, Q 11.3, -6.8dB
8000Hz, Q 16.6, -8dB

Mar 22, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #197 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think I can actually export the settings from Electri-Q.

they were saved in the registry last time I checked
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #198 of 1,153
I think he meant something more along the lines of exporting them to some kind of preset file.
wink.gif

Anyway, I can't find any of my own saved present in the registry...

Mar 22, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #199 of 1,153
This is amazing! My Portapros are so much better now!!

Cheers bro!!

One problem though- I can't get the para equalizer working in Foobar
frown.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #200 of 1,153
Quote:

I can't find any of my own saved present in the registry

I don't have it installed anymore, I prefer NyquistEQ5 but that might help :

Code:

Code:
[left][HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AIXcoustic\Electri-Q\Presets\Defaults\Channel 1] [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AIXcoustic\Electri-Q\Presets\Defaults\Channel 1\Filter 1] "Frequency"="7322.61572265625" "Gain"="-4" "Bandwidth"="0.0890000015497208" "Type"="Peak Type I" "Locked Frequency"="true" "Locked Gain"="false" "Locked Q"="false"[/left]

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #201 of 1,153
Weird. Absolutely none of my own settings are in there.

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #204 of 1,153
EDIT: See my second EQ on page 17 for final and more efficient result !!!!!!!

Phew !!!!
Finally made it through !!! I never thought i would get it as im really new to all these things !! But im suprisingly satisfied with the result, and didn't took me a week to notice the difference!! That's awesome ....Really .... thx to all you HEAD-FIer whom explain us those golden trick.Especially you PiccoloNamek
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Not to mention my music (Trance,House related) sound more smooth then ever, but i can enjoy my wife's music (Punk,Alternative) as i never did ! I already know that's going to be more easy on my ears when im working a couple of hours on my mixes !!
Well... enough ... This is how it end up for me...

Im just wondering if its normal that the notch depth of my highest peak is only of -4db ?!?!
Im using Ultrasone PRO900.I dont know if it has something to do with it.Or maybe i screw up something ...
confused_face(1).gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #205 of 1,153
Quote:

I don't think I can actually export the settings from Electri-Q. It is very difficult to even save them properly, because the save function is very crippled. I can tell you the settings I use, however.

There is a button that should say something like "Analog" or "Digital" on it. Right click it and change it to "FIR-Min". Then right click (and hold) on one of the dots and change its type to "S-plane - Peak II". Do this for a second dot. Now, double click one of the dots and enter these settings.

Freq = 7450
Gain = -8
BW - 0.750

For the second one, use

Freq = 12850
Gain = -9.6
BW = 0.950

That's fantastic! Thank you PiccoloNamek. It makes such a difference and completely takes out the 'shrill' I had before
smily_headphones1.gif
I recommend you add the above details to the first page so people can just start off with this setup and then adjust to what they prefer (and not have to wade through a long thread for them)

Also, I was thinking of the export preset feature earlier but nonethelss this is fantastic, much appreciated for all your experiments and assistance
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #206 of 1,153
Well well, it seems as if people were fond of a virtual lack of high tones....
wink.gif
I agree that the resonance peak should be eliminated, but to see what they do with this - it makes me smile.

I am still happy with that flat equalisation, it works great and with every music I have. I just created a small valley around 11 000 Hz (there was truly too much highs, I swear it
biggrin.gif
); my HD555 are slightly modded (that is, the black foam inside of a cup is removed) and I can no longer depend on HeadRoom freq. resp. graphs, but I believe that my ear (and line sweep) can tell my own private truth.

Electri-Q - there is a simple way to save your settings, really. Press M button (in the right corner below, next to "Copy"), find Presets, then Export Presets, save to a file. If you want to store your settings only temporarily, just use "Store"
biggrin.gif

Regards!

Mar 25, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #207 of 1,153
Awesome. I guess I should have read the manual more thoroughly.
redface.gif

Also, why hasn't this been stickied by a mod yet?
wink.gif
frown.gif

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #209 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashirgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, we will not let this thread die out anyway, will we?

nah, we aren't
biggrin.gif

I remember Germania told me that the more "felt" she added in front of her cd1k drivers, the more bass she got.

actually I wanted something really soft touching my ears(the stock foam is pretty annoying), so I've tried several types of felt on top of it(removing it was a no-no, SQ was terrible)

anyway, I've tried several types of felt and I've found one that sounds just perfect! very clear and natural trebles, a bit more bass, love it
atsmile.gif

oddly enough, it also changed the resonances....now I got it pretty smooth, 2 very clear spikes at 6400K and 10500K :

i155134_qqeqqeeq.png

it's clearer than before because there's less resonances, I don't plan on modding these cans any further...they sound just great
L3000.gif

the more I've tried recabling, the more I think they mostly emphasis on the cups resonances...go OFC and it will sound darker("one note" bass anyone?) and act as a low pass filter, which will kill some treble resonances....same for SPC which will do the opposite.

putting a $300 cryo cable on non-dampened plastic cups doesn't make any sense to me....I'm afraid
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back