How to equalize your headphones: A Tutorial
Mar 19, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #166 of 1,153
Oh god not again...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dither

Read up on dithering, its not perfect!

This still would be a great discussion, but indeed for the audio science forum, not here.

Mar 19, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #167 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh god not again...

Dither - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This still would be a great discussion, but indeed for the audio science forum, not here.

Yes it is perfect!!

If you want to start this up again ask a question in the Audio Science forum. I suggest you learn a little more about digital audio theory first though!

G

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #168 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh god not again...

Dither - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Save your breath. Gregorio has no intention of listening to anything you say. He has made up his mind and his only purpose is to convince others of it.

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #169 of 1,153
DO NOT use the winamp bridge. It introduces a lot of artifacts in to the sound (Just run a sweep from 20-20k and you will hear it). If you are going to use electriq use the VST version.

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #170 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DO NOT use the winamp bridge. It introduces a lot of artifacts in to the sound (Just run a sweep from 20-20k and you will hear it). If you are going to use electriq use the VST version.

ORLY
confused.gif

I know its author pretty well, and I don't see how it could do such a thing? are you sure it's not artifacts due to your head response?

I use it in 32float in ffdshow, and can't hear a diff between ElectriQ winamp and ElectriQ VST through the VST bridge ?!

anyway, I've added dampening...I've got far less resonances...I crave so badly for wooden cups at this point
biggrin.gif

sounds like the cheapest one is the AT W10k ? plus it's got cups shapped like the cd3k to widen the SS
atsmile.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #171 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ORLY
confused.gif

I know its author pretty well, and I don't see how it could do such a thing? are you sure it's not artifacts due to your head response?

I use it in 32float in ffdshow, and can't hear a diff between ElectriQ winamp and ElectriQ VST through the VST bridge ?!

No the artifacts I hear are extra frequencies added to my sweep. For clarification I am using the latest build of FB2k and have the audio set of ASIO out.

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #172 of 1,153
Quote:

No the artifacts I hear are extra frequencies added to my sweep. For clarification I am using the latest build of FB2k and have the audio set of ASIO out.

right, the Foobar Winamp Bridge, not written by Christian Budde...is it?

what kind of "artefacts"? I'd like to try now
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #173 of 1,153
I am pretty sure it is the one on the first page of this thread.

As I said generate a 20-20k sweep, add the bridge to your DSP list, listen, then take it off and listen again.

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #174 of 1,153
Quote:

I am pretty sure it is the one on the first page of this thread.

As I said generate a 20-20k sweep, add the bridge to your DSP list, listen, then take it off and listen again.

I don't use foobar, I'll try w/ Christian Budde's VST bridge.

hah, my 770 sings now w/ dampening
beerchug.gif

the sound is lot more "dry" now, the stock cups had tons of elements that would make bad resonances
rolleyes.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #175 of 1,153
darn, you're right...Christian's VST bridge also sweeps at 0:13, where it only starts sweeping at 0:16 in FFX4 or w/o any plugin
frown.gif

I guess I have to find another way to use VST plugins altogether..

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #176 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Save your breath. Gregorio has no intention of listening to anything you say. He has made up his mind and his only purpose is to convince others of it.

It's got nothing to do with making up my mind, I'm just recounting the facts. Anyway, I created a thread in the science forum so we don't need to continue it here!

G

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #177 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
darn, you're right...Christian's VST bridge also sweeps at 0:13, where it only starts sweeping at 0:16 in FFX4 or w/o any plugin
frown.gif

I guess I have to find another way to use VST plugins altogether..

...what player are you using?

Mar 19, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #178 of 1,153
Quote:

...what player are you using?

MPC + ffdshow, for many reasons :
-very fast to open and plays instantly(foobar is slow)
-very small GUI(foobar GUI is HUGE)
-enables me to decode mp3 in 32 float, process DSP in 32float, and send 32 float to my soundcard drivers(I leave it to them to convert to integer)...yada yada it doesn't matter, I find it sounds WAY better than foobar's mp3 decoder w/ 16/24 integer DSP
redface.gif

ffdshow works w/ winamp2/DX plugins(through the FFX-4 wrapper), but no VST...because the VST bridge sweeps
rolleyes.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #179 of 1,153
Yesterday I tried a flat equalisation for my HD 555 and now their sound without any equalisation (or with my previous one) is just unbearable!

That is, I prefer that flat (with the resonance eliminated and spikes in the lowest register) to any.

Just one thing: it is too much like a SR-303's in its sound reproduction and highs are sometimes exaggerated (recording-dependent, I believe).

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #180 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashirgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yesterday I tried a flat equalisation for my HD 555 and now their sound without any equalization (or with my previous one) is just unbearable!

I quite agree. Music sounds a lot less harsh... clearer. With out the HF masking you can discern other frequencies easier, play music louder.

Sounds a lot more like a speaker system now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back