How to equalize your headphones: A Tutorial
Dec 23, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #706 of 1,153
Fortunately, almost no real life instruments actually are in ~20-60 Hz range. Only synth bass is affected, huge kettle drums, large kick drums (but these are more sensitive to "impact"), lowest registers of church organ and of course thunder. (Lowest bass guitar and bass might also qualify.)
However, more accurate subbass improves general bass impact and decay. Linearizing it can help other detailing in suprising ways the result is a more precise reproduction of very specific kinds of sound, such as square waves and of certain intermodulation effects, where low bass plays a role.

Almost nobody bothers compensating subbass - I only consider it an optional part of the equalization.

Very nice reference speaker by the way, though the rolloff is a bit large - just add a good subwoofer at 40 Hz cross. My bet it's either a closed case design or bipolar open.

Dec 24, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #707 of 1,153
Fortunately, almost no real life instruments actually are in ~20-60 Hz range. Only synth bass is affected, huge kettle drums, large kick drums (but these are more sensitive to "impact"), lowest registers of church organ and of course thunder. (Lowest bass guitar and bass might also qualify.)

It's relatively rare, but occasionally you do get some prominent bass guitar work down there. I happen to be listening right now to a song ("Firth of Fifth" from Genesis' Selling England By The Pound) that was famous for its "low E" (E1), so it's kind of ironic I just read this post. Without compensation for stretch tuning, that note's fundamental is around 41Hz. It used to mistrack cheap cartridges in the vinyl era.

Dec 24, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #708 of 1,153
If you haven't heard a good home theater sub in a good room, go to your local store and do so. I have an older 15 inch servo controlled subwoofer that was pretty high end back in the day. The bass is tremendously distortionless, musical, tight, and impactful down past the depths of your hearing, all while behaving itself and sounding transparent. It sounds so organic and soothing. No headphones bass can come close.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #710 of 1,153

Quote:
This is odd. I seem to be able to hear all the way up to 30MHz with SineGen 2.1. I think something is wrong here.

Anything over 20khz is should not be audible to anyone but the most acute and sensitive listeners; I doubt any human could hear past 25khz. Anything past that is just distortions of output which causes lower wavelengths of sound to be produced.

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #712 of 1,153
Quote:
If you haven't heard a good home theater sub in a good room, go to your local store and do so. I have an older 15 inch servo controlled subwoofer that was pretty high end back in the day. The bass is tremendously distortionless, musical, tight, and impactful down past the depths of your hearing, all while behaving itself and sounding transparent. It sounds so organic and soothing. No headphones bass can come close.

Actually, headphone bass can and does come close. In fact, it can be better defined, more accurate. What it's usually lacking is sheer power.

The only thing you'll be missing is that nice tactile feeling of air moving around.
--
@jerg:
I bet your card is resampling and doing so poorly, so what you're hearing is aliasing. Alternatively, you're hearing opamp instability.

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #713 of 1,153
The only thing you'll be missing is that nice tactile feeling of air moving around.

That's what most people seem to miss when listening on headphones (if they find anything lacking, that is), and what new can-o-philes seem to expect and are disappointed by. I've heard of people using subwoofers along with their headphones to restore that sensation. I can imagine you'd have some image smearing and/or phase shift artifacts with that arrangement, except that if you're just using it for the lowest frequencies the ear isn't as sensitive to those qualities in that range. I think the biggest hurdle would be getting the headphones and the sub to play perfectly in time--any delay and it would be useless.

Jan 4, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #717 of 1,153
Anything over 20khz is should not be audible to anyone but the most acute and sensitive listeners; I doubt any human could hear past 25khz. Anything past that is just distortions of output which causes lower wavelengths of sound to be produced.

I knew that. That's why I pointed it out, because it was... odd. :)

And this Electri-Q is fantastic. My PRO700s not finally have the perfect amount of bass for me (less of the low bass and more of the mid bass), and I can finally hear the vocals without that gee darn harshness I mentioned somewhere else around here.

Also, that VST plugin looks appealing, but with Winamp not being VST-friendly (according to the internets), I need to find a working VST->DSP wrapper plugin.

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #718 of 1,153
I'd *LOVE* to try this, but I'm afraid I'm entirely lost. I've NEVER used winamp before, and do not know how to use this electric-Q program plugin... thing..
I used sinegen, and sought out frequency ranges above 1k that were noticeably louder than other parts, and tried to make a little mark at the loudest part.. that's correct right?
I'm just not following and it could be that I'm feeling a bit head-sick right now and I'm somewhat tired, or more likely I just don't know what's going on because I'm so damn new to all this.. But I figure if I can fix a car and change my phones software with a few written tips and instructions, maybe if someone dumbs it down to my level this can be successful also..

TL;DR, how to actually USE Electric Q winamp plug-in, and what was I supposed to do with these loudest frequencies? 

Jan 5, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #719 of 1,153
If you use foobar instead of winamp as the music player, I can walk you through using Electri-Q...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back