How to equalize your headphones: A Tutorial
May 19, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #271 of 1,153
Great collection of links and information. I was wondering why highs always sounded so fatiguing to me. I needed to apply a whopping -11dB on Creative Aurvana Live! at 11050hz!

One question I have is, how do you get the width of the peak/parametric? My peaks are at 7.3 and 11 kHz, and no matter how I adjusted them it curves out more like a slope than actual 2 distinct peaks. Are my peaks too close together, or are those peak width settings (peak type, mode, etc.) only available in the full version of Electri-Q?

This reminds me of trying tune my monitor via Catalyst lol

May 21, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #272 of 1,153
is udial.wav supposed to sound perfectly clean after EQing?

coz mine sounds dirty
redface.gif

May 26, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #273 of 1,153
I use this for 990pro. -10db on 6800 and 10000hz. This is my first try so I'll probably modify it.

May 28, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #276 of 1,153
I just found this amazing thread and immediately realized the necessity to eq my headphones, but since I'm not at home I just have an old plantronics headset with me
biggrin.gif

Regardless of the quality of this headset, listening music is much easier on the ears now. Switching the eq back on after disabling it for a few seconds actually is a relief!

old
edit: updated
aaaolaacf.jpg

edit:
@previous poster: over -10db, isn't that a bit too much?

May 28, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #277 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Makenshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One question I have is, how do you get the width of the peak/parametric? My peaks are at 7.3 and 11 kHz, and no matter how I adjusted them it curves out more like a slope than actual 2 distinct peaks. Are my peaks too close together, or are those peak width settings (peak type, mode, etc.) only available in the full version of Electri-Q?

nope, just use the default type and double-click the dots - there you go.

May 30, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #278 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And yes, "your response to speakers in front of you" WILL be flat if you follow Piccolo's method.

Why would you?

Let me put it this way -- someone in front of you is playing a violin. Your ears will not perceive this with a flat response. Why try to correct for this on an electronic reproduction system?

Of course, headphones won't sound the same as flat speakers properly placed in front of you. "Diffuse Field Equalization" is an attempt by the manufacturers to correct for this as generically as possible, but people do differ, and so it can't be perfect. However, equalizing the headphones to, say, make 1kHz and 4kHz sound equally loud (given both tones have the same power), will not make the headphones sound like flat speakers properly placed in front of you either. Our natural hearing response shows about a 10dB difference in response between those two tones! "Fixing" this will just make music sound like you've been to a few too many concerts without hearing protection...

May 31, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #280 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In this very interesting topic, you generally have to use different softwares to Eq your headphones : sine generator, parametric EQ, ... This may be a bit complicated.
I propose a free software dedicaced to headphone optimisation head-fit, that integrates all needed functions : a full featured signal generator, 6 band EQ and also a very complete crossfeed. Some signals have been specially created for headphone setup. It is an evolution of my older crossfeed software.
If you have other ideas to ease and improve headphone optimisation, I can add other features.
There is no manual yet but you can have some infos on the soft page here.

The "crossfeed + EQ" has easy to understand graphical user interface but the "head-fit" is much more customizable. I cant seem to find the delay bar in crossfeed + EQ though. It will be great if you can provide more explanation for each parameter so that i can customize it as close to natural speaker configuration as possible. >>Very good VST plugin!!<<
beerchug.gif

May 31, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #281 of 1,153
I've created sine wave test files, which you can use to test certain frequencies inside your player (with the equalizer enabled)!

link (if you have 7-zip grab the 7z file since it's a lot smaller, else the zip)

May 31, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #282 of 1,153
Quote:

The "crossfeed + EQ" has easy to understand graphical user interface but the "head-fit" is much more customizable. I cant seem to find the delay bar in crossfeed + EQ though.

the delays are fixed in crossfeed+EQ : 0.38ms in low frequencies and 0.19ms ar high frequencies. This soft has fewer parameters and is easier to configure.
At the opposite, head-fit has more parameters to adjust.
For the first use, the best way is to follow the setup that I explained in the head-fit page.
But you're right : I should add more explanations.

May 31, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #283 of 1,153
ok I'm using ElectriQ now, w/ the settings explained in the OP....together w/ the VST bridge in the latest foobar, but when I open a new audio file there's some "hiccup" audio glitch
confused.gif

it works fine in "digital" mode....so I guess Linear mode is up to no good for realtime use due to heavy buffering ?! it's explained in the manual btw.

PS: apparently in digital mode, your best filter option is "orfanidis" instead of "peak type 2"...it sounds friggin good anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #284 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what you hear from udial.wav is just distortion. EQing won't change this.

indeed! it doesn't occur w/ ElectriQ in digital mode...only w/ NyquistEq5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back