How To Build One Of The World's Finest Dynamic Headphones (markl Denon AH-D5000 Mods)
May 11, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #286 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by zmorris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently modding another D2000 and I was able to take some pictures of the left and right drivers for comparison. Both drivers have "FOSTER 439360 CHINA" and "7H8" stamped on the back and the front side of the right plastic housing has "7H84" stamped on it. I'd really appreciate it if any D5000 owners can take pictures of their drivers or tell what's stamped on them so we can definitively know if they are the same. However, comparing the pictures in the first post to what I've seen in the D2000, both drivers look very similar.

Left driver:

Right driver:

It is fortunate that the number is still on the driver. This should make the question much easier to answer.

Now to find a revealing picture of the D5000 driver
smily_headphones1.gif

I checked my D2000, and yes, the number on the driver is the same; 439360 (no great surprise).

May 11, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #287 of 811
Here is the comparison of the drivers as previously posted by zmorris. The drivers appear to be identical from this spec sheet, but I guess we'll just wait for some kind soul to post the number off the D5000 driver.

213rw2g.jpg

May 11, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #288 of 811
Quote:

This is interesting. I had originally thought that the black piece with all the holes in it in your D5000 pictures was injected molded plastic, similar to what's in the D2000. At least it looks that way.

Let me verify this the next time I get another pair, you may be right. However, in person the D5000s outer ring seems to be made of sturdier stuff than the D2000's.

May 11, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #290 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdennis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any and all,

PM me if you want to sell me some of your leftover Dynamat.

sorry to jump in a little late, but me too! I want to give this a shot...

May 12, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #292 of 811
Has anyone figured a simple / effective means to tighten up the "axles / spindles" which connect the metal driver housing assembly to the headband assembly (i.e. the two connections on each side of the driver housing metal frame)???

Mine are slightly loose and vibrate slightly back and forth - just the standard fit to allow each to rotate freely in and out - but, ideally, it should fit more tightly on each side.

I don't know what would work - perhaps, some type of "shims" (e.g. tape, or tin foil, or even wood or plastic shims - to tighten the fit to prevent any vibration)???

Any ideas - successes???

May 13, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #294 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone figured a simple / effective means to tighten up the "axles / spindles" which connect the metal driver housing assembly to the headband assembly (i.e. the two connections on each side of the driver housing metal frame)???

Mine are slightly loose and vibrate slightly back and forth - just the standard fit to allow each to rotate freely in and out - but, ideally, it should fit more tightly on each side.

I don't know what would work - perhaps, some type of "shims" (e.g. tape, or tin foil, or even wood or plastic shims - to tighten the fit to prevent any vibration)???

Any ideas - successes???

Check page 22.

May 13, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #295 of 811
Quick question: From pictures I've seen (namely the step which you are meant to add the incredibly thin layer of fiberfill), the D5000 wooden cup is solid (hence providing a layer which you can place the fiberfill on), while the D2000 looks hollow with that piece of foam that the stock phones are meant to come with. Is this correct, or is the D5000 wooden cup hollow as well?

EDIT: Oh I see. You are meant to make the cup "solid" using the Dynamat.

May 13, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #296 of 811
Quote:

Check page 22.

Thanks for your help... but... all I could find on page 22/23 was how to tighten the fit of the screws in their holes.

I see no discussion of how to tighten the fit of each phone housing on the two spindles / axles / whatever that connect each phone housing (both the right and the left - four spindles / axles) to the headband.

There are little white plastic / nylon washers or shims located in the joint around each spindle / axle, but they're still somewhat loose and vibrate a bit, rather than fit snuggly.

May 13, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #297 of 811
Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sigh, you know i WAS happy with the D2000
tongue.gif

Same here. I guess I'll get MD5000's + APS V3 and sell my D2000's.

May 13, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #298 of 811
Quote:

Thanks for your help... but... all I could find on page 22/23 was how to tighten the fit of the screws in their holes.

I see no discussion of how to tighten the fit of each phone housing on the two spindles / axles / whatever that connect each phone housing (both the right and the left - four spindles / axles) to the headband.

There are little white plastic / nylon washers or shims located in the joint around each spindle / axle, but they're still somewhat loose and vibrate a bit, rather than fit snuggly.

I specifically wrote about this problem and provided a solution for it on page 22 (also a picture on page 23), yet you seem to be glancing over it for some odd reason. Here, I'll help you:

Quote:

Originally Posted by zmorris
I was able to hear something rattling inside while moving my head when no sound was coming out of the headphones. I later found out it was because of a loose connection at the left and right sides of each phone. After applying a bit of grease (I used Arctic Silver 5 thermal grease, but I'm sure any other thick and greasy substance would work) at each joint the rattling was gone.

You won't be able to remove the c-shaped washer that holds everything together to add more washers to tighten the fit, but adding thick grease like Arctic Silver 5 will tighten the fit and eliminate the rattling noise.

May 13, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #299 of 811
Quote:

I specifically wrote about this problem and provided a solution for it on page 22 (also a picture on page 23), yet you seem to be glancing over it for some odd reason. Here, I'll help you:

You won't be able to remove the c-shaped washer that holds everything together to add more washers to tighten the fit, but adding thick grease like Arctic Silver 5 will tighten the fit and eliminate the rattling noise.

OK... thanks for the info... but...

... if you'll review pages 22/23... you'll find there is nothing addressing this issue.

Perhaps it was on an earlier page...

May 13, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #300 of 811
Quote:

OK... thanks for the info... but...

... if you'll review pages 22/23... you'll find there is nothing addressing this issue.

Perhaps it was on an earlier page...

I meant check page 22 of this thread, not the forum/subforum, which should have been pretty obvious. Regardless, I've already given you the solution in my previous reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back