How obsessed are you with headphones?
Jan 22, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #46 of 80
I voted 6, and as I'm waiting for the results to load, I'm thinking - bell shaped, centered on 6 and skewed toward 10, and viola- there it was. Pretty easy predictionnon this crowd. I would have picked 7, but my lovely wife figures at least it's not sportscars or girls... Plus my future JH13's are sterting to look like a DIY speaker rig.

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #47 of 80
Man... I would have thought there were going to be more 8's. Should I be worried?

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #48 of 80
The headphones are a musical tool in my studio. I'm very happy that I don't need to sale nothing too get my 702's
k701smile.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #49 of 80
I voted for a nine. I listen to 4 to 5 hours a day on average and enjoy every minute of it. Over the past year I have spent any extra cash I have on head-fi. I can see me getting another two sets this year. After family and friends it has given me more pleasure than anything, ever.

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #52 of 80
I chose 6. I'm probably higher than a 6, but 7 doesn't apply to me.
I love headphones. I could easily forget about speakers altogether except for listening with other people (which generally means music on in the background), watching movies, and watching tv.

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #55 of 80
Some of 7, 8, and 9 applies. I might be more interested in speakers if I had a perfect room or the money to spend on treating a room to make it perfect, and tens of thousands more to spend on the speakers themselves and all of the other equipment required for a reference grade rig.

Headphones can provide that same reference grade sound (in their own way, of course) for less than 1/10 of the price. The room, furniture, and everything else that can interact negatively with speakers is totally out of the equation.

All of the best headphones currently in production sell for around $2K or less. That's enough for fairly good monitors, or half decent floor standers. Reference caliber monitors are roughly $8K-$30K, and reference caliber floorstanders are about $15K to nearly infinity. Plus they weigh hundreds of pounds, and many are extremely fussy about placement.

If you can't afford to drop the price of a BMW 5 series on your stereo, headphones start making a lot of sense.

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #56 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's more about the music than the gear, and my headphones are better than my speakers

X2

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #58 of 80
Sorry guys/gals, but I must say that I find it very intriguing (and satisfying) that this poll is filing out to be a very normal Gaussian distribution!

Just like most things in nature without special causes.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...it's what we engineers do for fun.
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #59 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry guys/gals, but I must say that I find it very intriguing (and satisfying) that this poll is filing out to be a very normal Gaussian distribution!

Just like most things in nature without special causes.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...it's what we engineers do for fun.
biggrin.gif

Don't worry, us economists will always analyse things from some sort of weird economy view. "You cant decide? Let the power of game theory prevail!!"

Edit: Just wondering, has anyone ever been more obsessed with their music than their headphones here..? :p

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #60 of 80
6 or 7 best describes me, but sometimes there is a glimmer of truth in 9 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back