How much does the power cable really do?
Jun 8, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #196 of 208
6moons think it does:  Politically correct power cords

I am not so sure.

Except, in typical 6moons fashion, they never actually say anything in that little diatribe. What's the actual connection between "placing the same power cord where it counts—at the last 6 feet—one will hear the difference it makes because of the effect it has on the high-frequency noise which was induced into the very end of the line before it had any distance to travel to get attenuated" and how that impacts, at all, the music being played? What high-frequency noise is injected in the "last 6 feet" of power cable between the wall outlet and the amplifier, DAC, or whatever is using that power cord? How does that affect the audio signal? What about the effects of the transformers, capacitors, and circuitry in the gear? We're not injecting AC mains into our headphones. What about the RF noise that can enter the amplifier or DAC case through cooling slots?

Power cable proponents seem to be utterly incapable of making the real-world connection between all the bogeymen their vaunted cables "solve", and how that actually affects anything on the music side. Does capacitance make a difference? Then prove it! If power cable capacitance affects the end audio signal somehow, then it should be measurable and repeatable; likewise for inductance and the other lab-measurable characteristics of power cables.

Ugh. I'm going to stop before I get myself in trouble, but it's exactly that sort of self-righteous, "How dare the common peons question what I think is right!" response to valid questions that annoys me, and even moreso when the answer given to those questions is a bunch of drivel that takes a long time to say, but never gets around to being worth anything.

Jun 8, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #197 of 208
Actually, according to that article a cheap aluminum power cable will sound better than the expensive exotic silver plated power cable because it attenuate the high frequency better. Hmmm........

Jun 8, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #198 of 208
DemonicLemming: Noise already present in the line. However, a noise filtering capacitor is only a few cents and would possibly fit inside the larger plugs available.

Jun 8, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #199 of 208

Quote:
DemonicLemming: Noise already present in the line. However, a noise filtering capacitor is only a few cents and would possibly fit inside the larger plugs available.

Not according to the 6 Moon Article. Its theory behind the last 6 feet of cable has the highest impact on the noise is because the noise in the line has already been "filtered/attenuated" by the miles of cheap cable. The actual noise is injected at the last 6 feet of interconnect. Therefore the logic is the last 6 feet of power cable is most critical and makes the most difference..

Jun 8, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #200 of 208
Right but unless you have DC riding on the AC, doesn't the transformer (assuming the equipment has a good transformer) basically eliminate the AC noise?  Even if it doesn't, aren't inductors common in most gear to remove high-frequency noise that might be riding on the AC?

I just don't see anywhere in the article where they make the connection between "noise attenuation" or the lack thereof and how it audibly affects music, and how an expensive power cable without filter caps attenuates noise better than a standard IEC power cable.

Quote:

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #202 of 208
Yeah, I didn't believe that BS for a second...not to mention the way he answers the question is so snobbish: apparently you'll never understand the 'audiophile culture' if you don't think power cords can change the sound.

This is why people think audiophiles are snobs, just like in that XKCD comic.

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #203 of 208
I'm not going to read that 6moons article, though I probably could do with a laugh. :wink:

Jun 10, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #204 of 208
6moons is like reading your daily horoscope.

What about the power transformer and electrolytic caps in the power supply? Those are also called filter caps for a good reason.

Jun 11, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #206 of 208
6moons has every reason to fabricate, just like every other hi-fi magazine!  spectacular claims + ad revenues are the name of the game, not legitimate reviews

Quote:
Come on now, 6moons has no reason to fabricate.

USG

Jun 11, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #207 of 208

Quote:
6moons has every reason to fabricate, just like every other hi-fi magazine!  spectacular claims + ad revenues are the name of the game, not legitimate reviews

He was being facetious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back