How much does the power cable really do?
Apr 17, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #182 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude I was joking okay? Joke=lie for fun.

Lying does not help your credibility on your opinions. It is not the best way to address a point. You know people from all over the world read these posts and may not understand the sarcasm in English? And to some English is a second language or third. Please be mindful of that.

Apr 17, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #183 of 209
Considering how silly cable discussions are on head-fi, it's the only proper way to address this issue. Let me explain very clearly to people who don't understand. A few anticablers on this thread keep demanding DBT proof when the rest of us just don't care to. We're talking on two different levels, no common ground. My jokes are me pretending to be an anticabler and showing what conclusions their logic lead to. My jokes are not for making you angry, so stop being offended.

Apr 17, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #184 of 209
Even though English isn't my native language, I have understood haloxt's sarcasm. Nothing to worry about.

Apr 17, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #186 of 209
Never said I was "angry" or "offended". It is OK if there are 2 sides to an opinion. That's how we learn more on the thread. Who cares that that there is no common ground when it comes to cables? You just one day read a post and say "AH-HAAAA I get it" no matter what side of the coin it is on. I like to use cables, SO WHAT. There is another Head-Fier who doesn't use aftermarket cables and is happy. Both sides coexist equally and I appreciate that. Keeps this forum interesting.

Apr 17, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #187 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In this case I would definitely go with my ears. What more do you want from a component than the sonic trait you like! Does it really matter that «science speaks against it»? Moreover, «with full knowledge that the DACs sounded exactly the same» ... «I knew this wasn't possible» are statements I would never make myself in the context of audio.

But ears don't always tell the truth, Jazz.

What I was alluding to in my post was a form of "imprinting" that occurs when you audition a new piece of equipment or a cable. Once the impression gets "burned in" (to your brain), all the listening in the world doesn't seem to be able to change it, so in my case the old cable always sounded better and each DAC retained the original sound signatures I found not to exist.

This has been brought up before, but there is also sufficient anecdotal evidence to suggest that you can adjust and alter a perception over time as your brain does with your nose. Over time, your brain has learned to delete this non-essential information from view. The same thing happens with things you hear. Bothersome and non-essential "things" become attenuated to the point where you're not aware of them any more. This might be one of the reasons why things usually sound better over time.

USG

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #188 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But ears don't always tell the truth, Jazz.

What I was alluding to in my post was a form of "imprinting" that occurs when you audition a new piece of equipment or a cable. Once the impression gets "burned in" (to your brain), all the listening in the world doesn't seem to be able to change it, so in my case the old cable always sounded better and each DAC retained the original sound signatures I found not to exist.

This has been brought up before, but there is also sufficient anecdotal evidence to suggest that you can adjust and alter a perception over time as your brain does with your nose. Over time, your brain has learned to delete this non-essential information from view. The same thing happens with things you hear. Bothersome and non-essential "things" become attenuated to the point where you're not aware of them any more. This might be one of the reasons why things usually sound better over time.

USG

So you enjoy watching measurements more than listening to music. Its ok to be different.

Apr 17, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #189 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What am I going to do just look at the gear? Heck no, I'm listening to it right now. Like I do almost every night.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I could just sit and look at a WA2 glowing, and a nice cup of coffee.
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #190 of 209
wow. I left this thread to die but it really sparked an interesting conversation and I appreciate all of your comments. I got my little dot i+ a week or 2 ago along w/ an upgraded op-amp and tubes and I'm digging it so far. Many of you have mentioned that the power cord does indeed make a difference, and many of you are saying that I should be saving up for a better amp. Well truth is, I won't be upgrading my amp for a while (a long time) because I simply don't have enough money, lol. An upgraded power cord would be nice though, because I can use it with future amps and I really do believe I can get more out of the little dot i+. If any of you guys have power cord recommendations, throw them out there.

BTW I'm using the analog interconnect from signal cable and it is VERY nice.

EDIT: Just read all the comments. Geez, now i know why their are so many pages...

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #192 of 209
Without going DIY, a typical 1M power cord is going to set you back quite a bit more than your Little Dot I+ itself
biggrin.gif
I would check out Audiogon though, there are always some nice ones on there for a good price.

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #193 of 209
Yeah used - I found any upgrade cable to be better than the stock one. Like you said with IC and power cables you buy them once and they're yours forever linking your system together as you upgrade. I spent a crap load on cables and I am done forever. At one stage the new IC I bought had a RRP equaling my then Dac and amp combined. But does an expensive wine really taste better than the cheap one - perhaps not - doesn't stop me from ordering the dearer one - makes my date think I actually have money when in fact after those cables I did not!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back